The Last Spracklen Creation...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Last Spracklen Creation...

Post by Fernando »

Problem is the very same....
Festina Lente
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Bryan Whitby wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:06 pm Unfortunately the Sparc ROM is supposed to start within the Leonardo but Hap today has advised Franz that isn't happening and the standard Leonardo engine is loading instead. Franz thinks he knows the problem and maybe later or tomorrow we might see an update to the problem.
Hi Bryan,
actually it is not that much of a problem. The emulation is perfectly correct(*), running a Renaissance chess computer with a Sparc module inserted.
The fact is you need to select any level from e to h column, in order to activate the Sparc module. And you definitely can do this by yourself, as in real life a Sparc owner would need to do.
The small change Franz wants to apply is pre-select an entry level (my guess: e1) to, by default, set the computer to use the Sparc module. This would be done by setting the level once (manually) then use the "save default state" feature. Just a "shortcut" to ease the use...

As an example:
Level a4 = 15s per move, using the 6301Y CPU and Kaplan's program
Level e3 = 15s per move, using the SPARC CPU and Spracklen's program

(*) to be confirmed: maybe the speed is a bit slow, compared to a real hardware module

Kind regards,
Eric
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Fernando wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:35 pm Problem is the very same....
Sorry to read that, Fern. Maybe you are right, your computer is simply not compliant to run the CB-Emu. Or maybe the unzipping of the package failed to complete, and the emulator is lacking part of the data it needs (e.g. resulting in missing folders). This you can check easily: using the Windows file explorer, right-click on the CB-Emu folder name, choose properties: should look like 4008 files, 583 folders, ~272Mb in size. Should you find significantly less files or folders, something went wrong and try re-installing. Numbers can be slightly different, as some files are created/updated upon use of the emulations.

Would have loved to help more, as it is a pity not to access this awesome set of emulated chess computers!
Warm regards, stay safe,
Eric
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

In fact, I was capable at last to run the thing after some tweaking...yes, old as I am, I am not totally ignorant of the art of tampering with these monsters... Remember I am old enough to be educated on this issue with old good DOS, bat. files, changing this and that, loading high memory, and all that stuff .

I will play Spark now!!

Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I got a draw.......
three moves repetition
Fern
Festina Lente
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

Can the cb-emu be used on a windows notebook (no laptop) and what specifications (Mhz, video card, storage space etc.) must it have in order to use the program smoothly?
Thanks in advance for the information.

Tom
Murat

Post by Murat »

The minimum requirements are:

Intel Core 2-series CPU or equivalent, at least 2.0 GHz

64-bit OS (Windows 7 or later on Windows, macOS 10.9 or later on Mac)

4 GB RAM

DirectX 9.0c for Windows

A Direct3D, or OpenGL capable graphics card
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

Thanks Murat, I'll think about it.
pawnzephyrpeaceful

Post by pawnzephyrpeaceful »

It's a bummer that the Spracklen got the boot after their hard work, but hey, that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. As for Mr. Hubner bringing that advanced hardware back to life in his next emu software, it's definitely an exciting idea. While I can't say for sure if it's possible, technology works wonders these days, so who knows? If anyone can pull off such a feat, it might just be Mr. Hubner. Here's to hoping for some amazing tech wizardry and a nod to the past.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

garbage in, garbage out... :mrgreen:
There is no "Mr Hubner" involved in this area. Just a typo from Fern in his first post.