Pc upgrade

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
realmrcool

Pc upgrade

Post by realmrcool »

Hello,

Hopefully you guys can help me:

A friend of mine wants to get a new PC. He only uses it for chess analytics. We build his last PC together. At that time we didn't buy a gpu since all the computing was done buy the CPU. This seem to have changed some engines like lc0 hugly benefit from gpu computing.

We have a budget for ~1000€

We thought about getting a ryzen 9 3900xt
and a Nvidia gtx 1660

Would you agree with our decision or would you recommend something else?

Rest of the money goes to a fast ssd, some fast ram, casing, tpu etc

Thanks for helping me out I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the requirements for chess programs

Good day Fabian
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

Hi Fabian,

I am going to move this to the "Main Lobby / General Discussions" forum where it should get more views.

Welcome to Hiarcs Forums!

Rob
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello Fabian,

I just finished building a PC mainly used for chess-analysis.

I have a ryzen 9 3900xt and a RTX 2070 super in it. The ryzen I can recommend very much. The RTX 2070 I would not buy again. It is expensive and gets loud without special cooling. Also it fills the Ram (of the PC) pretty quick. After 1 hour analysis with Lz0 8 GB are filled and it stops analyzing. Now I have 16 GB in the new machine, but that also does not prolong analysis-time forever. For analysis in correspondence chess I rely much more on stockfish 12 using 20 cores than on Lc0, which comes up with interesting suggestions in the middle-game, but plays often a weak endgame.

I hope this helps with your decisions...

Gerhard
realmrcool

Post by realmrcool »

Thank you both this is indeed really helpfull