eOne - The online board from Millennium

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Schachmeister

Re: eOne - The online board from Millennium

Post by Schachmeister »

The MILLENNIUM ChessLink app for Android and iOS is free of charge. Compared to other apps it offers very versatile functions, containing the following options:

- Choose between almost infinite options for time per game and increments per move
- Play rated or unrated games
- Play white or black or random color
- Select opponents ELO range (e.g. 1500 - 1800)
- Play against friends on your buddy list

Some chess friends asked me why MILLENNIUM has decided for a board size of 31 x 31 cm. Obviously this was a marketing decision based on the following facts:

(1) MILLENNIUM is cooperating with many school chess groups. For them it’s important that the chessboard fits into a school bag or backpack.
(2) Many MILLENNIUM customers have already one of their chess computers and request a second unit for outdoor use (e.g. garden or terrace) or for traveling.
(3) First time customers have a choice between not less than three MILLENNIUM eBoards with larger sizes.

Best regards from Munich,
Ossi Weiner
Murat

Post by Murat »

They could have made the squares 35mm and still keep the 31x31cm external size.

Tons of wasted board space in my opinion.

Murat
Robert4Mate

Post by Robert4Mate »

Schachmeister wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am Some chess friends asked me why MILLENNIUM has decided for a board size of 31 x 31 cm. Obviously this was a marketing decision based on the following facts:
This is window dressing. The effectively usable board size is 24 x 24 cm, which results from the field size of 3 cm. The excuse that the board has to fit in a school bag sounds funny. Because if that was so important, you could have saved the edge around the board and taken the real size of 24 x 24 cm.
Schachmeister

Post by Schachmeister »

Robert4Mate wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:59 am
Schachmeister wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am Some chess friends asked me why MILLENNIUM has decided for a board size of 31 x 31 cm. Obviously this was a marketing decision based on the following facts:
This is window dressing. The effectively usable board size is 24 x 24 cm, which results from the field size of 3 cm. The excuse that the board has to fit in a school bag sounds funny. Because if that was so important, you could have saved the edge around the board and taken the real size of 24 x 24 cm.

You are completely neglecting the fact that the edge is necessary to contain the front buttons as well as the electronics parts (Bluetooth, USB, power supply). A square size of 35 x 35 mm would have required a larger cabinet.
Schachmeister

Post by Schachmeister »

Good news:
The MILLENNIUM eOne is now available – shipping is supposed to start in the coming week.

Ossi Weiner
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

If I didn't pre-order, will I have a problem buying eOne after the release?
Schachmeister

Post by Schachmeister »

larryadler wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:09 pm If I didn't pre-order, will I have a problem buying eOne after the release?
The first batch will be quickly sold out without any doubt.
There might be some waiting time for the second delivery, because the factory is now closed for Chinese New Year holidays.

Ossi Weiner
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Murat

Post by Murat »

Thank you for the detailed review.

Please let us know about developments with the third party USB-C cables.

All the best

Murat
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Mythbuster wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:07 pm My Review is online: https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... php?t=6562
Thank you Sascha for the detailed review. I'll also be curious to learn about the issue with the USB-C cables. I recently struggled with the mysterious Millennium ChessVolt adapter cable. Hopefully such an adapter is not required for the eOne.

Greg
Robert4Mate

Post by Robert4Mate »

This review is bland and superficial. Not a word about the field size being too small and not a word about playing online. Of course there is a reason for that. A handful of beta testers play with the eone on Lichess and you see broken games and a high latency in the transfer of moves. The manufacturer probably didn't want this mythbuster to write about it. In a video on Youtube you can see how wobbly the chess pieces are on the board. Nothing is said about the unnecessarily large edge either.

In this topic someone claims that the wide frame is necessary because you would stow all the electronics underneath. This is strange, since other manufacturers do not require such a wide frame. There's the electronics under the playing surface, such as with the Pegasus. There is no problem with the height either, because the Pegasus is 1.9 cm high, while the eone is 2.1 cm high. The buttons could also have been attached to the side. The frame is just marketing. A 31x31cm board simply sounds better than a 24x24cm board. Why didn't this mythbuster open his eone and check what's actually under this frame? The eone was mainly made for online gaming. This obviously doesn't work that well, as you can also see in videos on Youtube. Mythbuster claims that the Chesslinkapp is mature. That is not right. It's version 2.0 after all. When you play correspondence chess games on Lichess, the Chesslinkapp has problems with online play and mixes up the ongoing correspondence chess games with the normal games. Once you manage to play online, it sometimes takes many seconds for the move to be transmitted! But of course Mythbuster didn't test that in its review.
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Oh, a „new“ poster …

1. If you want to know the size: Just read at the Millennium Homepage! Yes, it is that simple!

2. Yep, nothing about online gaming … because I play not online … other members (which are playing online) will post about that …

It is a shame, the way this forum is going … everytime „out of the dark attacks“ … I think, it is time to leave here … he, SteveB … you can delete my account … for all the things about Hiarcs, I can contact Mark direct … as somebody who has a testversion of Hiarcs I am somebody who is not worth to trust …

This was my last posting in this forum … you know, where to find my reviews etc. … not here anymore!
Schachmeister

Post by Schachmeister »

Robert4Mate wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:26 am This review is bland and superficial. Not a word about the field size being too small and not a word about playing online. Of course there is a reason for that. A handful of beta testers play with the eone on Lichess and you see broken games and a high latency in the transfer of moves. The manufacturer probably didn't want this mythbuster to write about it. In a video on Youtube you can see how wobbly the chess pieces are on the board. Nothing is said about the unnecessarily large edge either.

In this topic someone claims that the wide frame is necessary because you would stow all the electronics underneath. This is strange, since other manufacturers do not require such a wide frame. There's the electronics under the playing surface, such as with the Pegasus. There is no problem with the height either, because the Pegasus is 1.9 cm high, while the eone is 2.1 cm high. The buttons could also have been attached to the side. The frame is just marketing. A 31x31cm board simply sounds better than a 24x24cm board. Why didn't this mythbuster open his eone and check what's actually under this frame? The eone was mainly made for online gaming. This obviously doesn't work that well, as you can also see in videos on Youtube. Mythbuster claims that the Chesslinkapp is mature. That is not right. It's version 2.0 after all. When you play correspondence chess games on Lichess, the Chesslinkapp has problems with online play and mixes up the ongoing correspondence chess games with the normal games. Once you manage to play online, it sometimes takes many seconds for the move to be transmitted! But of course Mythbuster didn't test that in its review.

Very sadly there is a small group of people who repeatedly and anonymously agitate against all products of MILLENNIUM, mostly with far-fetched arguments. Here we are dealing with someone who only became a member of this forum on January 28, 2022, apparently for the sole purpose of spreading fake news about the MILLENNIUM eOne - a brand new device that he himself has never seen yet. :mrgreen:
As the French say: Honi soit qui mal y pense

I have personally played more than 500 blitz and rapid games with the eOne, mostly on Lichess, because it has only been working on chess.com for a short time. Based on my own extensive experience, I can confidently make the following statements.

1. Whether someone wants a compact and mobile eBoard or prefers a larger chessboard is a matter of personal taste, nothing else.

2. The ChessLink app has been developed by a very experienced team. It is extremely mature and reliable and offers a very wide range of setting options.

3. It is definitely not true that there are any problems playing online on Lichess, or that games are allegedly "frequently interrupted". Perhaps Robert4Mate is confusing the eOne with another manufacturer's eBoard?

4. Also wrong is the fictitious claim about an allegedly "high latency" during the execution of the moves. In fact, just the opposite is true, the response delay is practically imperceptible.

The eOne devices have been shipping since the beginning of this week. Now every user can convince himself that MILLENNIUM has once again developed an excellent chess product and brought it to the world-wide market.

With best regards from Munich,
Ossi Weiner
BHGP

Post by BHGP »

Robert4Mate wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:26 am This review is bland and superficial. Not a word about the field size being too small and not a word about playing online. Of course there is a reason for that. A handful of beta testers play with the eone on Lichess and you see broken games and a high latency in the transfer of moves. The manufacturer probably didn't want this mythbuster to write about it. In a video on Youtube you can see how wobbly the chess pieces are on the board. Nothing is said about the unnecessarily large edge either.

I think it is a waste of time to deal with such attacks. In a German forum, where the board is presented in text and video by a thoroughly critical and renowned chess journalist, there are similar contributions by presumably the same person. Those who already know the other, more expensive Millennium boards know the high level of online play, especially on Lichess, at Millennium. The eOne fits in almost seamlessly in this respect.
Oh, by the way: What possible abortion of short games on Lichess means: During the beta tests, this was deliberately practised hundreds of times in order to optimise the response behaviour of the boards.I think this should be judged differently from the many games actually aborted by other manufacturers because moves were not transferred, because the board bucked again or because the cloud took a time-out again.

By the way: The boards were delivered on time, as announced. The appropriate apps are available with the delivery and could even be tested in advance for suitability without a board. In short: The buyer unpacks, can start immediately and does not have to be held up when promised apps are delivered in poor quality with a significant delay or are not available at all.
katzenpapa

Post by katzenpapa »

Hello this is Katzenpapa from youtube! I have been trying to connect my eONE to the HCE, and I have been unsuccessful so far. Has anyone else connected the eONE to the HCE? I installed the drivers (after trying without installing the drivers) and the software still can't detect my eONE. Can someone please advise? I would love to showcase this software on my channel as I love it features and how easy it is to use. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/c/katzenpapa