Vonset???

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Vonset???

Post by Fernando »

I stumbled upon a line of computers presented by a company called Vonset. The chess computers are plastic things, one desktop, the other handheld. Looks well done but of course no hint about the program, strength, nothing. Does somebody know something?

Curious regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: Vonset???

Post by Larry »

Here we are a day later and no response. You can be sure they are childrens’ chess computers
that the Company you mentioned paid for the right to put their name on the front of. They will be
well built with comfortable pressure only required to make the squares register and long battery
life. They will not be strong.
Larry
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:54 am I stumbled upon a line of computers presented by a company called Vonset. The chess computers are plastic things, one desktop, the other handheld. Looks well done but of course no hint about the program, strength, nothing. Does somebody know something?

Curious regards
Fern
Hi Fern,

I was not aware of these computers prior to your post. There does not seem to be much information online, outside of their website with little information regarding the engine/strength:

https://www.vonsetchess.com

It seems strange, that in this day, with a resurgence of an interest in chess (somewhat driven by Queens Gambit), and the software engineering talent of this generation, that we do not have new dedicated computers with updated/novel chess programs. All the new devices are either driven by Stockfish, or simply connect to a smartphone. Seems we are at a crossroads with the most potential and least interest in dedicated computers - perhaps a reflection of the market. Perhaps one day the market will once again realize the beauty of a dedicated machine is the ability to play over the board without the reliance on a computer (or phone/tablet).

Vinyl audio has made a comeback, so there is hope.

Greg
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

All the chess computers except the ARM620 which I have not seen before are all old Levy chess computers that have been around for many years.

Levy still works with various chess computer manufacturers in China using his old software. You can buy all of these chess computers direct from distributors in China cheaper than this company is offering.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Thanks for the tip. I imagined already those toys are for kids, as the publicity says anyway, but I was and I am curious. Certainly, also I presumed they are provided with weak, old programs, but for the sake to have a new contrivance I am prepared to accept a not too strong engine, provided it is at least a 1650 Elo thing. I wonder how much Elo those Levy programs have. I suppose around 1500 at most. It is so?

Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I took a look at Chinese stores, aliexpress. They are not cheap, in fact, more expensive than if got at Vonset. No clue about strength. Clearlñy toys. Pity. There are thousands of programs better than 1900 Elo to get for dedicated units. I bet any author of those would be happy to give a license for 10 bucks and a donna.

Fern
Festina Lente
samson

Post by samson »

Dear friends,

I am Samson Liao. The product designer of Vonset Chess Computer. Now I want to introducing the Vonset L6 Chess Computer - the ultimate chess companion for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Especially young chess players.

The Vonset L6 comes with a variety of game modes, it even has a built-in database of over 3000 opening moves, so you can study and practice different strategies. The fact that it has a playing strength of over 1950 ELO and our updated version will have an Elo rating of over 2000. However, since we consider this product to be more for intermediate-level players, there is no need to make the playing strength too high.
samson

Post by samson »

I would like to talk about the background of our company. In the early days, our factory produced many low-end chess computers, but at that time, we did not have software development capabilities. Two years ago, we formed a strong hardware and software team, upgraded the design of the engine, and redefined the product. Vonset L6 is a product that starts from the low-end and reaches the high-end. Our brand concept is to apply the power of technology, especially artificial intelligence, in the field of family companionship, to accompany children and the elderly. Therefore, our Vonset L6 always stands from the perspective of protecting children. Even the screen we use is an electronic ink screen, which is to protect children's eyes. We will be committed to researching and developing better chess computers. Please support us.

Regards
Samson
Vonset intelligent electronic technology (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd
samson

Post by samson »

Dear friends,

I am Samson Liao. The product designer of Vonset Chess Computer. Now I want to introducing the Vonset L6 Chess Computer - the ultimate chess companion for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Especially young chess players.

The Vonset L6 comes with a variety of game modes, it even has a built-in database of over 3000 opening moves, so you can study and practice different strategies. The fact that it has a playing strength of over 1950 ELO and our updated version will have an Elo rating of over 2000. However, since we consider this product to be more for intermediate-level players, there is no need to make the playing strength too high.

I would like to talk about the background of our company. In the early days, our factory produced many low-end chess computers, but at that time, we did not have software development capabilities. Two years ago, we formed a strong hardware and software team, upgraded the design of the engine, and redefined the product. Vonset L6 is a product that starts from the low-end and reaches the high-end. Our brand concept is to apply the power of technology, especially artificial intelligence, in the field of family companionship, to accompany children and the elderly. Therefore, our Vonset L6 always stands from the perspective of protecting children. Even the screen we use is an electronic ink screen, which is to protect children's eyes. We will be committed to researching and developing better chess computers. Please support us.

Regards
Samson
Vonset intelligent electronic technology (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd
samson

Post by samson »

It is our amazon product detail website link: https://www.amazon.com/Vonset-Computer- ... NrPXRydWU=
mclane

Post by mclane »

Who did the engine?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
samson

Post by samson »

Dear friend,

Our own company's technical team developed the engine by referring to existing algorithms.

Thank you for your attention.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hello Samson,

nice to read some information about the L6 device and the background of the Vonset company! Wish you success...
Best regards,
Eric
samson

Post by samson »

Dear Eric,

Thanks for your attention. We will strive to research and develop better products, hoping to bring joy and assistance to more chess players who love to play.

Tibono2 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:42 pm Hello Samson,

nice to read some information about the L6 device and the background of the Vonset company! Wish you success...
Best regards,
Eric
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Well, it looks like that my first post about this company gave fruit after all! Now we know something about that new line of dedicated units and they look interesting, at least the L6 model. Even so, I would like that the gentleman that gave us news about it could be more specific with respect to the programming. It is really capable of playing at the 1900 Elo level? Have they tested it in order to really offer accurate information over that?

Waiting for your news, sir...

Fern
Festina Lente