New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Rhglomb

Re: New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

Post by Rhglomb »

There are many ways to protect the SD card and/or the content from beeing copied. Bind the SD card to the device using an SD-Card-ID, etc.
--> https://www.sdcard.org/developers/sd-standard-overview/

At the the end, it's the old "rabbit/hedgehog" game again. You can crack everything, but is it worth the effort ?

But in fact, I also see a problem in it when the medium wears out.

It will never be the same in the distant future like it is today with our old chess computers.
There never will be a MAME/MessChess/CB-EMU like today with all the (legal ?!?) ROMs of the old machines.

And if in 50 years the the SD-Card becomes unreadable then the value of Revelation II will be near to zero, as the value of a King-Element, Phoenix, etc.

This is the price of business modells that are based on software and on chargable updates and not the Hardware.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Occasionally, when raspberry was shut down incorrectly, the SD card became unreadable, so I see a fundamental problem in such protection. I have never seen similar protection where the SD card cannot be copied.
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

[quote=Josef post_id=112227 time=1671037487 user_id=3690]
Occasionally, when raspberry was shut down incorrectly, the SD card became unreadable, so I see a fundamental problem in such protection.
[/quote]

The SD card should last for a long time, because the software is always loaded completely into the RAM at start-up. That's why you can just switch off the Phoenix and don't have to shut it down.

And there is no reason why you should not get a new one in the case of problems ...

And as I wrote, there are different protection functions ... but I see no reason to discuss ways to copy the card ... not as long, as Ruud is alive and Millennium exists ... :wink:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Which can change from day to day, as with Gavon etc....
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

Millennium has just written that the first deliveries of the sets with 40 or 55 board start today. Further deliveries will follow in the course of the next week.

it is unfortunate that that it wasn't possible to ship all the devices before 16 December, but on the other hand this may indicate that there were a lot of orders - which is gratifying :)

I'm curious to know if shipping is by order (I ordered evenly at 8 p.m. CET on the day preorders opened) or by some other key.

Unfortunately, in my case, shipping next week means I won't be able to pick up the device until after the new year. There is even a risk that it will be returned back from Millenium. I have already written to Millenium about this, we will see.

Slightly worried,
larryadler
DaMaBu

exporting games from Phoenix

Post by DaMaBu »

I get the impression that the only way to export a game played on the Phoenix is with a USB memory card? Since it has wifi, wouldn't it be nice if it could email it to a specified email address?
larryadler

Re: exporting games from Phoenix

Post by larryadler »

DaMaBu wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:00 pm I get the impression that the only way to export a game played on the Phoenix is with a USB memory card? Since it has wifi, wouldn't it be nice if it could email it to a specified email address?
From the explanations I have read, this would require the design of an email client. I am not familiar with da development of programmes, but probably because of the above, the Developers have decided not to implement this solution for the time being, as it was problematic and time-consuming.

Taking this opportunity - I was already about to express my concern about the lack of a tracking number, but at the time of writing this post I got the number. UPS is supposed to bring me the parcel on Thursday, which would be ideal, bearing in mind that I'm going away for a week on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed :)

tired of waiting but also excited,
larryadler
ang534

Post by ang534 »

i ordered 2 units (I live 6months in NJ and 6 months in FL) from chess house and they arrived already. Chess house is an amazing retailer they put a high priority on customer satisfaction I am only a customerand do not have a interest in chess house other then as a customer. Paul in particular is patient and effective at getting things done. I can confirm the emulations are installed and working. It works very nice as it should. The stock fish engine set at Elo level are not accurate when set to lower strength 1700 in my case plays no where near the expected Elo I would guess the Elo stated is probably 300 points high I played a 10 game match MP at 1700 and the Millennium king at 1750 the king wins almost every game. I am a lazy player who hates study I just play my elo is low when I played in tournaments 25 years ago my Elo (USCF) was 1689 and I beat the machine at 1700 almost every game. At full strength on MP stockfish is strong it crushes the Millennium king at 40/2 10-0 as should be expected so perhaps a software update will help with this. I would like a choice of sound effects played beyond volume as I do not like the sound effects at all. The fan used to cool the unit is almost inaudible to my 62 yo ears execution other than what was stated is nice as we should expect for the price.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

ang534 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:30 pm i ordered 2 units (I live 6months in NJ and 6 months in FL) from chess house and they arrived already. Chess house is an amazing retailer they put a high priority on customer satisfaction I am only a customerand do not have a interest in chess house other then as a customer. Paul in particular is patient and effective at getting things done. I can confirm the emulations are installed and working. It works very nice as it should. The stock fish engine set at Elo level are not accurate when set to lower strength 1700 in my case plays no where near the expected Elo I would guess the Elo stated is probably 300 points high I played a 10 game match MP at 1700 and the Millennium king at 1750 the king wins almost every game. I am a lazy player who hates study I just play my elo is low when I played in tournaments 25 years ago my Elo (USCF) was 1689 and I beat the machine at 1700 almost every game. At full strength on MP stockfish is strong it crushes the Millennium king at 40/2 10-0 as should be expected so perhaps a software update will help with this. I would like a choice of sound effects played beyond volume as I do not like the sound effects at all. The fan used to cool the unit is almost inaudible to my 62 yo ears execution other than what was stated is nice as we should expect for the price.
I have always had great experiences with Chess House and found Paul to be extremely helpful. Enjoy your new computer(s)!

Greg
Fritzsword

Post by Fritzsword »

Congratulations on your new purchase! I love mine although I have been working through WiFi issues (it does not recognize my home wifi but I am able to patch the problem using my phone hotspot). Also, the PGN USB thumbdrive saving process is a little tricky, especially if you select new game before saving. The Adaptive ELO is cool, but needs a lot more documentation to do justice to how this works.
Paul at Chess House has been my savior for these issues. I hope they keep him really happy since he is gold for their organization!
ang534

Post by ang534 »

Thank you Greg happy new year!
ang534

Post by ang534 »

Thank you fourthirty same to you happy New Year!
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

When are we going to be able to play on Liches, chess com with this set?

Lots of money spent Regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Scally

Post by Scally »

Mythbuster wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:26 am A backup will not work, even not in your machine ... and yes, I know how good you are. ;)
Hi all,

This morning I managed to build a working backup micro sd card for my Phoenix.

I’m not allowed to say how I did it, but it is possible …

Here’s a short video showing both micro sd cards working in my Phoenix …

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl9yyqnxvr90b ... p.mov?dl=0

Cheers,

Al.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

Here’s a link to my 2nd YouTube video on the ‘Phoenix Vs PicoChess London Retro Engines at 700%’:

https://youtu.be/BvLl5KAqQTs

I have still not to managed the speed increase ratio to match the levels so Picochess is playing a little quicker on average than the Phoenix on the same settings.

I hope to remedy this at a later date.

Cheers,

Al.