New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
JohnT

Re: New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

Post by JohnT »

Tactics
Currently, I’m learning tactics online on LICHESS, but when I play OTB in league matches, it’s not the same.
For reality, when I study tactics, I’m trying to replicate OTB match conditions.

In general, I’m trying to grasp what I can do with tactics on the Mephisto Phoenix. What is possible?

I would like to be able to set up a real board, and play the tactic while looking at real pieces.
I can do this with chess pieces, but would be keen to record them, and group the tactic according to type for subsequent revision.

I think my question is, can I set up a board for midway through a game, using the Mephisto Phoenix to enable me to play the tactic?
(If i get it wrong, I could use the ‘hint’ button or take back button.)
Clark Barr

Post by Clark Barr »

Just waiting for the next software update for the Phoenix allowing online play. Millennium and Chess House indicate the update will be released by the end of January.
Clark Barr

Post by Clark Barr »

Millennium released the 4.01e update now allowing online play with Lichess on the Phoenix. The download is in 3 parts and it took 45 minutes to completely download on my Phoenix.
PoisonedPawn

Post by PoisonedPawn »

Release 4.01D is out.
Now enables live play on LiChess. I have not tried this.
It’s a big/slow download for some reason.
PoisonedPawn

Post by PoisonedPawn »

Actually, releases 4.01 C, D & E installed sequentially.
I think I needed 3 separate system updates before E was available, and E is the update enabling live play. Very little else has changed. The early Mephisto 68000-based emulations now make a sound when the actual unit would beep, which is nice.
Clark Barr

Post by Clark Barr »

PoisonedPawn wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:55 pm Release 4.01D is out.
Now enables live play on LiChess. I have not tried this.
It’s a big/slow download for some reason.
The e-mail I received from Millennium indicated if 4.01E isn't fully downloaded Phoenix will remain in 4.01D and they suggest you try again.

One thing I have noticed with the complete three part update is seeing Leela, Dragon 3 and GinkGo all play stronger than before especially Leela.
ratboy

Post by ratboy »

Hi sorry if this is too simple question but how do I play against the computer as black ? On the Memphisto Phoenix thanks