Cheating Allegation

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
xyzzy01

Re: Cheating Allegation

Post by xyzzy01 »

Steve B wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:37 pm
Erik Stillum wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:20 pm
I'm not sure that the law suit can be seen as a sign of neither innocence nor guilt. If he is innocent he has everything to win, if he is guilty, he has nothing to lose. It will be an interesting case to follow.
Regards Erik
Perhaps...still..the lawsuit has brought the allegation to the attention of a much wider world wide audience.whereas before it was basically a "chess"story followed by a small group of people...in this way he has "lost"
the last time i heard anything about chess on my local radio station was when Fischer won the World Championship

seems to me..if he really cheated the last thing he would want is to make the allegation so publicly well known
however if he didnt cheat....he would be doing exactly what he is doing with bringing the suit

Time Will Tell Regards
Steve
To be fair, we already know he has cheated - a lot. It doesn't matter if he calls it "experimenting with engines" and is sorry that he did it, rather than call it "cheating".
Fran66

Re: Cheating Allegation

Post by Fran66 »

Erik Stillum wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:46 pm To me this case will be much more interesting than Depp vs Heard :D , but I think chess will be suffering. No matter the result, the focus will be on cheating in our game. I do not understand Magnus' approach. In the best of cases it is a matter of ?! when it comes to the future of chess.

We have witnessed a development that started with CC1 and now our cellphone can beat the world champion. The world was a simpler place some years ago....in more ways than one.

Grumpy old man regards.

Erik
Hi,

In my view, all this is absurd and will end the day we accept that there is no possible solution in online chess. The only way to solve it is, precisely, to allow the use of chess programs, so everyone can play on equal terms. And anyone who doesn't agree shouldn't play online. In the same way as someone who does not agree to use programs he would never play in the ICCF.

Best regards!