Saitek Kasparov Brute Force

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Josef

Re: Saitek Kasparov Brute Force

Post by Josef »

In tests 1-3 Saitek achieved too high ELO, the reality is as you say around 2100 and practically has no chance to beat Mephisto Risc. I also have a Mephisto MMV, I can test it. I have the entire Mephisto series in Revelation II AE, but that's not relevant. Anyway, Brute Force is a beautiful piece of history.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I have tried the Mephisto MM V emulator in Picochess, where the performance is practically the same as in a real Mephisto chess computer. This time Saitek Kasparov Brute Force won even though two blunders (21. ... Nd5?? and 22. ... Qf8??) in a row are not quite right. After that, Brute Force did well, and the victory was well deserved.

Attachments
Mephisto MM V Saitek KBF.jpg
Mephisto MM V Saitek KBF.jpg (198.66 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Josef

Post by Josef »

I tried a more powerful engine in Picochess, Roma 32 (original 68020 CPU). But even in this case, Roma had no chance, although both opponents made many mistakes and blunders, the end for White was inevitable, so I stopped the game.

Josef

Post by Josef »

The second game was again Roma 32 level 10s, this time with a permanent brain on. Unfortunately, Mephisto didn't win this time either, the game was completely directed by Brute Force, which played it with mistakes but was very uninteresting and unnecessarily long. Mephisto lost the whole game with two moves 15. Ng5 and 16. Rfe1.

Josef

Post by Josef »

Interesting game with CT800 (running on DGT Centaur, setting ELO 2200). A fairly even game for a long time, even on turn 26. ... Rxh2, it looked like CT800's advantage had come, but after two blunders at 35. Be1 and 37. Rh2 by CT800 doomed him. Saitek made an apparent attack on the queenside, followed by a nice checkmate finish.

Josef

Post by Josef »

In the next game, I set up a CT800 ELO 2400. Here the game was already under the control of CT800. The end of the game was very nice for a chess program, I even allowed myself a little fun in the checkmate position. From the last two games, you can see what the Saitek Brute Force ELO is approximately.

Attachments
CT800 vs SaitekBF.png
CT800 vs SaitekBF.png (45.23 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Josef - thank you for the interesting series of games with the Saitek Brute Force module. Well, it is a strong module for Saitek's beautiful large wooden boards. I hope to find a Sparc module someday, but maybe it is not much stronger than the Brute Force module.

I may be in Prague during early July. Will the weather be warm at that time of year?

Dave C.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Josef wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:16 pm Luckily Brute Force doesn't have the H8 bug (I tested it), the newer GK2100 clones do. For instance, Saitek Cougar, Saitek Explorer Pro, Centurion, Cosmos, Expert Travel Chess and Mephisto Chess Challenger, Saitek Talking Chess Academy, Mephisto Module MM6 and Saitek President.
Hi Josef,
The MM6 and the President do NOT have the H8 bug.
And the Talking chess academy has it either. It is a slightly modified GK2000 clone.

Congrats with your BF module! I am a lucky owner of the
Analyst, BF and Sparc module.
Unluckily my wife does not not like me having the large chessboard downstairs, so I am using it not too often :-(

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Dave C wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 am Hi Josef - thank you for the interesting series of games with the Saitek Brute Force module. Well, it is a strong module for Saitek's beautiful large wooden boards. I hope to find a Sparc module someday, but maybe it is not much stronger than the Brute Force module.

I may be in Prague during early July. Will the weather be warm at that time of year?

Dave C.
Hi Dave,

According to the wiki that Steve mentioned (see https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... -Elo-Liste), the Sparc is definitely stronger than the Brute Force: 2200 elo against 2100 elo. Too bad that Dan and Kathe Spracklen didn't get the time to make it even stronger. I guess that Saitek decided that the competition with Mephisto's Lang programs could not be won.
I am very lucky having the Sparc module in the beautiful Renaissance board with the handy display. On the German forum a number of matches against other chess computers was played and very well commented by Kurt Utzinger. In one of those games the Sparc even managed to come up with an interesting novelty in a certain opening variation.

Sparcling regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Josef

Post by Josef »

Dave C wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 am Hi Josef - thank you for the interesting series of games with the Saitek Brute Force module. Well, it is a strong module for Saitek's beautiful large wooden boards. I hope to find a Sparc module someday, but maybe it is not much stronger than the Brute Force module.

Dave C.
Sorry for the late reply, but I haven't been here for a while. Yes, in Prague will be very hot, maybe 30°C, maybe more.

However, the first 14 days of July are rainy in the Czech Republic.

Thank you all for your Kind and interesting posts!
Havstad

Post by Havstad »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I saw this discussion and will inform that I have a Saitek Renaissance board with Kapsarov Risc 20MHz 32 bit module. Something is wrong with the electronice of the board though, but it was usable before I stored it. Many happy chess games with it.
Murat

Post by Murat »

See if the Renaissance is working fine without the module. It has build in programming.
If it works you need the module check out by a qualified technician.

I destroyed my Saitek Renaissance Sparc module while trying to fix it myself.
All it needed was the reflow the solder around the cpu. But I did not have a hot air soldering tool.

The rest is in the garbage bin.

Murat