Saitek Kasparov Brute Force

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Josef

Saitek Kasparov Brute Force

Post by Josef »

I managed to get this unique piece and tested it right away. I was stunned by the engine, the quoted ELO 2096-2112 is apparently quite understated. The Brute Force is obviously very strong in the transparent game parts, weaker in the opaque positions and in the endgame.

I tested two mods, Selective Brute and Pure Brute Force. In the first case, the computer was able to come up with original and surprising moves, but it is clearly weaker than the Pure BF mode. I tried some of the weaker moves at a higher Level (3 min), but it didn't come up with a better move. During a game in Level 30s, it could predict checkmate up to 4 moves.

Module Brute Force performance closely matches the Mephisto Risc 1MB module (ELO 2197/2267), however, occasionally, one or the other engine came up with a better move. I'll try to make some matches between the two engines.
----
Brute Force.png
Brute Force.png (27.66 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
20221222_121410.jpg
20221222_121410.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Murat

Re: Saitek Kasparov Brute Force

Post by Murat »

Thank you Josef.

The Brute Force is the only working module I have for my Renaissance.

I love to see how good it can really be ;)

Merry Christmas

Murat
Josef

Post by Josef »

Thank you, I love these old computers compared to the new "flawless" engines.
fhub

Post by fhub »

Hi,

it would be great if we could get a ROM dump of the Brute Force module!
It's the only module that is still missing in the CB-Emu chess emulation.

Regards,
Franz
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Josef wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:01 pm I managed to get this unique piece...
Congrats Josef, that's a very nice chess computer and a much interesting and strong Morsh program!
Thanks for the picture and the report on your tests.
R.,
Tibono
mclane

Post by mclane »

fhub wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:32 pm Hi,

it would be great if we could get a ROM dump of the Brute Force module!
It's the only module that is still missing in the CB-Emu chess emulation.

Regards,
Franz
Its a h8 machine.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Josef

Post by Josef »

Luckily Brute Force doesn't have the H8 bug (I tested it), the newer GK2100 clones do. For instance, Saitek Cougar, Saitek Explorer Pro, Centurion, Cosmos, Expert Travel Chess and Mephisto Chess Challenger, Saitek Talking Chess Academy, Mephisto Module MM6 and Saitek President.
Josef

Post by Josef »

First match between Saitek Kasparov Brute Force and Mephisto Risc 1MB. Mephisto set a nice trap for Saitek, and he got caught with a 38. Bh5 instead of 38. Qe2. It can be said that Saitek made four blunders, Mephisto only one.

Josef

Post by Josef »

The second game was again dominated by Mephisto, who made 3 blunders, but Saitek made 5. The decisive mistake was made by Saitek in move 10.... Nxg5 and then he did leave the victory to Mephisto.

Josef

Post by Josef »

In the third game, Saitek made a number of errors (6 blunders), and another 5 mistakes, while Mephisto made no serious errors and played the game excellently.

Josef

Post by Josef »

In the last game, I switched Saitek to Select Brute mode, but here Mephisto made an incredible play and literally decimated Saitek that put even Morse a bit ashamed. Saitek again made approximately 12 mistakes (6 serious), and it is clearly visible that he is underperforming on the Mephisto Risc 1MB, there seems to be a difference of one performance class. Mephisto also made two blunders, but Saitek couldn't take advantage of them. After the erroneous move 24.... Qf6 came "hell on earth", and I have perhaps never seen an opponent destroyed so cruelly.

Josef

Post by Josef »

I apologize for the wrong name, the correct one is Morsh. It's strange that in the 1-5 chess tests both machines were very similar, but in the real game the Brute Force module has practically no chance to win against the Mephisto Risc. I have also seen a test of the more powerful Saitek Spark and it lost 14 games in 20 games against the Mephisto Risc.
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

Josef wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:34 pm It's strange that in the 1-5 chess tests both machines were very similar, but in the real game the Brute Force module has practically no chance to win against the Mephisto Risc. I have also seen a test of the more powerful Saitek Spark and it lost 14 games in 20 games against the Mephisto Risc.
The Schröder progs often underperform in tactical test suits.
Josef

Post by Josef »

The next game was with a Level 30s setting for Saitek and 10s for Mephisto, a slight handicap. Unfortunately, even this time Brute Force couldn't beat Risc. For a long time Saitek held on bravely, and the mistake 33. Rf1 was forgiven by Mephisto, but after a gross blunder 42. Qb3 Risc destroyed him. After the games played, you can see that Saitek Brute Force makes too many blunders or mistakes (10-12 each game), he really can't win this way.

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Josef

Thanks for the games!

The dedicated chess computer Wiki rates the Risc 1mb at 2257
(410 games) and the Brute Force at 2096(125 games) at 30sec move...so its no surprise that the match is one-sided with the BF Module losing every game

perhaps for your next match with the BF a more suitable opponent(i.e. Mephisto Dallas 68020 or Portorose 68k)?

Over Matched Regards
Steve