Elfacun chess module, new version available

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
inmbolmie

Elfacun chess module, new version available

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, after some months working on improvements to overcome the limitations of the first version, I have finally finished the second version of the Elfacun module for Mephisto chess boards.

The second version also comes with an optional companion, the Brocoli power module.

board.jpg
board.jpg (214.64 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

The module is aesthetically and functionally very similar to the first version, but with the following new features:
  • Universally compatible with all original Mephisto modules. V1 had only compatibility with some modules but it didn't work with others.
  • This includes that V2 is compatible with itself and with V1, you can operate two Elfacun V2 modules on the same board, or one V2 module alongside one V1 module. This way you can make two different apps to play against each other on the same board.
  • Can be reliably powered from the board if the board can give enough power for the module operation, especially alongside the Brocoli module.
  • Now you can get a fully wireless board with Elfacun and Brocoli.
  • The screen brighness can be adjusted. This is now an important feature while operating from battery power to reduce consumption and improve battery life. V1 operated always at full brightness.
v2.JPG
v2.JPG (196.01 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

All the other features from V1 are still there (USB, BT and BLE connectivity, DGT and Millennium compatible, connect to Lichess over WIFI, RFID piece scanning, DGT 3000 compatible, etc.) .Its features are extensively documented on http://elfacun.eu/DESCRIPTION.html

About Brocoli, the power module is the new "official" way to power Elfacun from the board, as it can give enough power for the module to operate reliably, but it can also be used with original modules with or without Elfacun. The module uses a regular USB power brick provided by the user that can be installed inside the module. Any USB power brick that physically fits inside Brocoli will work. Brocoli can give up to 6 Watts of power at 5 volts to the board and modules.

broc_brick.jpg
broc_brick.jpg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

Using Brocoli alongside Elfacun makes a Mephisto board able to operate 100% wirelessly and also gives the ability you didn't have on V1 to operate with the board drawer closed.

The previous V1 modules now can be powered from Brocoli too, provided that a jumper has to be installed to enable that, and the jumper is not directly accessible without opening the module. Some limitations may aply though. I will add a section explaining this in the documentation.

I want to give big special thanks to Alan ‘Scally’ Cooper for his invaluable help testing V2 and Brocoli on his awesome collection of Mephisto boards and modules.

Also big thanks to all the people that over the last year got a V1 module and made this project possible.

I will start to accept orders for V2 and Brocoli soon, starting for those who already asked for it. The price of V2 will be increased 20% from V1, as in the last year some components pricing and availability have gone ridiculously through the roof. In the next days I will be closing the firmware release and completing the documentation on Github. A small batch of modules has been already made so I will be able to ship those relatively fast. For anyone interested, give me a touch on inmbolmie@gmail.com or by PM.

Best regards.
Scally

Re: Elfacun chess module, new version available

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

Here’s a short video showing the Elfacun v1 & v2 modules plus the ‘brocoli’ power module in use to play 2 Picochess Engines on the same Mephisto Exclusive board:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yxol5119j4xn ... n.mov?dl=0

I hope to put a longer video on YouTube later today showing a game between Komodo v14.1 & StockfishNN v15.1

Cheers,

Al
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

My YouTube video of Komodo v14.1 Vs StockfishNN v15.1 via PicoChess v3 on the Elfacun v1 + v2 Modules & a ‘Brocoli’ Power Module within a Mephisto Exclusive Board, will Premier at 14:00 U.K. time, in just over 1 hour from now …

https://youtu.be/OcFAo9M1pG8

Cheers,

Al.
jarek

Post by jarek »

Hi,

could you please tell me about the features of Elfacun as a complement to original Mephisto module e.g. Polgar.
Let's say I am a bit "old fashioned" and would like just to replace the empty Mephisto module for Elfacun, without connecting Elfacun to external apps.
Is Elfacun module able to (without connecting to apps on a phone or PC):
1. display the current position of my game against Polgar module on its built-in screen?
2. add a "Kibitzer" / show best variation according to some engine?
3. export the game in PGN after it is completed?
4. set up a custom position (scan RFID tags / recognize pieces by Elfacun) and play it against Polgar module?
5. Any other interesting features available without connecting to external apps on the phone or PC?

Now, what hardware (apart from Mephisto board) do I need to make the best use of Elfacun - is anything else needed (or recommended) than a phone/tablet/PC with apps like Hiarcs, Shredder?

Thank you!

kind regards,
Jarek
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

jarek wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:13 pm
could you please tell me about the features of Elfacun as a complement to original Mephisto module e.g. Polgar.
Let's say I am a bit "old fashioned" and would like just to replace the empty Mephisto module for Elfacun, without connecting Elfacun to external apps.
Is Elfacun module able to (without connecting to apps on a phone or PC):
The V2 module has been explicitly tested with the Polgar module and it works. Even V1 did work with Polgar.

I don't see that much utility in using Elfacun if not connecting to any external apps or to Lichess via Wifi. Elfacun is specially about having broad connectivity options. I think no other current physical board, commercial or not, gives you so many connectivity options.
1. display the current position of my game against Polgar module on its built-in screen?
Of course the module will display the game position on screen all the time.
2. add a "Kibitzer" / show best variation according to some engine?
A best variation information will be available on the app not on the module, because the DGT and Millennium protocols do not allow to send that information at all to the board. Using DGT apps you get the info that can be displayed on the DGT-3000 clock though, so for example you will be able to control the app with the buttons and sometimes see a position evaluation for example with Picochess.
3. export the game in PGN after it is completed?
The ability to export PGN depends on the application that is connected to Elfacun. For example, if you connect Hiarcs to the module via bluetooth, the game will be on the Hiarcs app as well and you will be able to export the game there. I suppose most apps allow to export the games. If you play over Lichess with the direct Lichess feature the game will be stored on Lichess and you can export it there, etc.
4. set up a custom position (scan RFID tags / recognize pieces by Elfacun) and play it against Polgar module?
Elfacun will recognize the pieces but Polgar won't. You will have to make the usual procedure for your original module unless you start the game from the regular starting position.
5. Any other interesting features available without connecting to external apps on the phone or PC?
Considering Lichess not "an external app on the phone or PC" playing over Lichess or displaying Lichess TV is a big feature. You don't need any additional app or device to use that, only a Wifi network with Internet connectivity.
Now, what hardware (apart from Mephisto board) do I need to make the best use of Elfacun - is anything else needed (or recommended) than a phone/tablet/PC with apps like Hiarcs, Shredder?
Any modern Phone/Tablet will give you endless possibilities with the apps that are compatible.
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I have just updated the online documentation for V2 and the Brocoli power module.

Links to the updated sections:

V2 features

V2 compatibility

V2 instructions manual update

Brocoli power module

For the people that already asked for modules, I expect to have them tested and ready to go this weekend.

Best regards
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

With Pablo’s latest update, both Elfacun Modules can control the LEDs of the Mephisto boards at the same time.

I have a YouTube video premiering within the hour that demonstrates this latest addition, where I pair The King v3.50 (not emu) against Lc0 v0.29.0:

https://youtu.be/xhNADZfxbc8

Cheers,

Al
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I have just released a new software update for the modules (R5). It is preinstalled on V2 modules. It is not critical or important for V1 users to update as it contains no big new features, unless you are affected by any of the bugfixes:
  • More robust active scanning method to avoid some occasional scan glitches.
  • Fixed a problem with reverse board (black pieces in front) on Lichess.
  • Fixed a problem with reverse board (black pieces in front) on V1 passive mode.
  • When the module is started in mode A but a Millennium app is connected via classic Bluetooth (BLE is not affected) the screen gets garbled.
Also as a nice extra I noticed during testing that the official Android chess.com app now works fine with the module, so I've added that to the compatibility list.

About the V2 modules, their testing is finished and I will start shipping them.

Best regards.
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I have just released a new updated firmware that adds support for defining ELO ranges for opponents on Lichess game seeks made from the module. That was requested by a user and I make it available for everyone:

https://github.com/inmbolmie/elfacun/releases/tag/R6

The update is only needed if you want to use the feature. Valid for V1 and V2 modules.

I also want to say thanks to all V2 users as, all the modules from the first batch have already found new homes. I will make a few more with the parts that I have still available and I hope they will be ready in a few days.

Best regards
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I have just released a new firmware update (R7) that adds functionality requested by some users, and now is available for everyone.

The new features are:
  • On-screen remote app LED indications when using alongside original modules in passive mode. In this case on previous versions you had to rely on looking at the remote app interface to get its moves, especially with Millennium apps that don't send text messages like DGT apps. Now you can get the moves on-screen as flashing squares if the remote app is sending LED updates to the module.
  • Hold mode remembers board position and it is restored on the next startup. This way you can switch the module off and continue a game later if the remote app supports it.
  • Adjust BLE power in case you need to have the controlling device very far away from the board.
  • Adjust sound tones, change frequency and duration.
https://github.com/inmbolmie/elfacun/releases/tag/R7

The update is valid for all V1 and V2 modules.
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

Hello :)

I haven't updated the module (V1) for a long time. Is it enough to download V7 and install, or do I have to install each update in turn?

Greetings!
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

larryadler wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:59 pm Hello :)

I haven't updated the module (V1) for a long time. Is it enough to download V7 and install, or do I have to install each update in turn?

Greetings!
Hi Larry, you can install directly R7 on any module so no need for intermediate updates. But if you still are on the very first versions the file may not be recognized as later versions included a feature to read a checksum on the file name to make the update process safer.

So if the module recognizes the file "update_0xc138dcb7.bin" you can just go ahead, and if it doesn't, you have to rename it from "update_0xc138dcb7.bin" to just "update.bin", put it on the SD card and then follow the usual procedure.

Best regards
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I want to present to you the latest device in the family, “Diablillo”.

“Diablillo” (can be translated from Spanish as “Little Devil”) is a new device that allows connecting a Millennium module like the Mephisto Phoenix to Elfacun wirelessly. This way you would be able to use the Mephisto Phoenix on an original Mephisto chess board and play with its original modules' emulations on their original boards, and also all the other regular engines that the Phoenix support.

d1.jpg
d1.jpg (236.22 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
d2.jpg
d2.jpg (192.35 KiB) Viewed 1685 times

It is compatible with any Chesslink physical module (Phoenix, The King, Genius) but makes more sense for the Phoenix owners due to its wide selection of modern and vintage engines.

m2.jpg
m2.jpg (233.93 KiB) Viewed 1685 times

The device needs no configuration at all, it is just plugged to the module using the regular 4-pin mini-din cable and it will connect automatically via BLE to the nearest available Elfacun. The board LEDs will be controlled by the module. It is also compatible with all the other Elfacun features like playing alongside an original module inserted on the board or using two Elfacun modules to play against each other.

It is compatible with both V1 and V2 Effacun modules.

You may have seen some videos by Scally showing the prototype in action alongside a Mephisto Phoenix and playing against some other engine running on Picochess. This device wouldn’t have been possible without his invaluable help. This is a link to the first video on the series, you can find more videos on his Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGaf8jvkKA

I will start shipping the first devices to the people that already showed interest. I know not that many people will own a Phoenix plus an Elfacun device, but this is something I wanted to make anyway to fill the gap between easily running retro engine emulations and operating them over real vintage hardware.

The device will need a software update on the Elfacun module (R8 https://github.com/inmbolmie/elfacun/releases/tag/R8). That update will add some features like the ability to update the device remotely from Elfacun SD card in case it is ever needed.

Thanks and best regards.
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I've have just released the R9 update for the module firmware. This is a bugfix only release, so no need to update from R8 as it adds no new functionality, unless you think you can be affected. In any case if you are going to update to R8 to use Diablillo it is recommended to update to R9 instead.

https://github.com/inmbolmie/elfacun/releases/tag/R9

My testing board has developed some issues where occasionally a full row of pieces can be lost. The R9 version adjusts the scanning code to make it more robust to those kind of issues.

This version, like all of them to this date, is valid for V1 as well as V2 modules.

Thanks and best regards.
inmbolmie

Post by inmbolmie »

Hi, I've have just released the R10 update for the module firmware. This is again a bugfix-only release.

It fixes a minor bug with DGT apps where the LEDs on A8 and/or H1 fail to turn off sometimes after removing a piece. It also adds some compatibility improvements for BearChess with version lower than 0.9.11.3 in DGT mode, but they are not needed if you use a version equal or higher than that (thanks to Lars Nowak from that).

https://github.com/inmbolmie/elfacun/releases/tag/R10

Like all firmware versions, it is valid for V1 as well as V2 modules.

Thanks and best regards.