DGT Centaur and black rings

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Gathomblipoob

DGT Centaur and black rings

Post by Gathomblipoob »

Can anyone explain to me what the "black rings" are when referring to older model DGT Centaurs? I see this term quite often but can't find an explanation of what they actually are. Thanks in advance!
Murat

Re: DGT Centaur and black rings

Post by Murat »

The circle where the white light is, shows as a fairly dark circle even when the machine is turned off.

On the later version it is almost invisible.

Get the later version if you want to mod (compatibility) otherwise it is just cosmetic.

Murat
Gathomblipoob

Post by Gathomblipoob »

Thanks. That's exactly why I was asking. I just ordered a DGT Centaur from Amazon and am hoping it's the newer model. I want to have the option to mod the board in the future.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

I am pretty sure you will get the evolved version (with barely visible rings in usual conditions), as this modification happened quite early (maybe a couple of years ago). The only occurrence that could happen would be purchasing a used one, and an early one. Anyway not a blocker, only cosmetic as Murat wrote it.
But indeed a requirement for potential mods that require the newer hardware version (the e-ink display must be the new reference, for compatibility sake with known mods / Rasp-PI substitution, if that is what you have in mind). The so called "black rings" are an indicator the version is too old for such known mods.
KR, Tibono
Gathomblipoob

Post by Gathomblipoob »

Thanks for the info. I'd just like to keep the option open for possible modding in the future.
Gathomblipoob

Post by Gathomblipoob »

You were correct, @Tibono2 - I received the Centaur today and no obvious black rings.