The Mistery of Power Chess and Mr. H. Heis

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The Mistery of Power Chess and Mr. H. Heis

Post by Fernando »

In the D-fend package that Schroeder offers on his page and which comes with a lot of old DOS programs, there is a "Power chess" by H.Heis that is a complete mystery for me and perhaps for everyone. It is NOT the Power Chess marketed years ago in a disk, a program made by Kittinger, an adaptation of WChess, which, by the way, you too find in the already mentioned D-fend package.

The program is from the year 1989 and it is pretty strong. I have played against it several times and I have been defeated several times. I am not a really good player, but neither a patzer, so I believe my qualification of it as "pretty strong" is not just the result of my weakness.

Who this guy "Heis" was'?

I have consulted the Internet, I have asked for the help of the AI of the new Edge browser, I have gone to every site related to chess and no way. Nobody knows. What I know for certain is that this program and its author are not the only ones to be unknown. Looks like the fate of 90% or more of people engaged in an endeavor. It is Like those poets nobody reads, nobody knew, so you just find them in a flea market, his book and poems, and you just have no idea about them and about him and it is as if he never had been born.

RIP Mr. Heis....

Fern
Festina Lente