Chess for Android and the Chessnut Pro

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
aartbik

Chess for Android and the Chessnut Pro

Post by aartbik »

Chessnut just shipped me the beautiful Pro chessboard for testing with Chess for Android, and luckily everything works out of the box! Just like the compact Air, connecting over Bluetooth is easy. But the Pro, with a wooden 55cm board (55mm squares) and wooden pieces offers a very elegant tournament sized set.

After putting all boards on one table, I realized that my collection of electronic chessboards is getting ridiculously large (Certabo, Chessnut, DGT, Millennium) :D So I plan to post a new video comparing all boards in detail pretty soon on my YouTube channel. Let me know if there are specifics you are looking for in such a comparison.

Murat

Re: Chess for Android and the Chessnut Pro

Post by Murat »

Hello Aart,

This is an off topic question. Is it possible for you replace your build in opening book with a larger one?
Or give us the option to select a custom book. Perhaps in Poliglot (bin) format.
Some engines (like stockfish) wont give us the option to use own book in UCI settings..

Please let me know if I am missing something.

All the best

Murat
aartbik

Post by aartbik »

Murat wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:53 am This is an off topic question. Is it possible for you replace your build in opening book with a larger one?
Or give us the option to select a custom book. Perhaps in Poliglot (bin) format.
Thanks for the question Murat. I know my answer is getting a bit old, but I have been swamped with work the past years (still fun, but leaving me with little time for hobby projects). I have a long list of feature requests, including this one, and plan to get to a lot of these eventually. But please bare with me ;-)
aartbik

Post by aartbik »

I have posted a brief instructional video on connecting Chess for Android to the Chessnut Pro.
Berger

Post by Berger »

Hi,

I remember when 10 years ago I made SolusChess, a DIY electronic chessboard, and thanks to Chess for Android there was support from day one with Android. :wink:

All these years have passed, and here is Aart Bik still supporting all the new electronic chess boards that are coming out nowadays. It's amazing... Thank you!!

Best,
Gerardo
Attachments
SolusChess_w_ChessForAndroid.jpg
SolusChess_w_ChessForAndroid.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
aartbik

Post by aartbik »

Berger wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:31 am I remember when 10 years ago I made SolusChess, a DIY electronic chessboard, and thanks to Chess for Android there was support from day one with Android. :wink:
Those were good times!
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

aartbik wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:25 am After putting all boards on one table, I realized that my collection of electronic chessboards is getting ridiculously large (Certabo, Chessnut, DGT, Millennium) :D So I plan to post a new video comparing all boards in detail pretty soon on my YouTube channel. Let me know if there are specifics you are looking for in such a comparison.
Wow, impressive collection of e-boards Aart! I look forward to watching your video.

I'd be curious to get your opinion on the stock pieces themselves (quality, finish, weight, etc). I love my weighted DGT pieces that I use with my Rev II. I wish other manufacturers would also offer weighted piece options.

Thanks again on all of your hard work and support of the various e-boards!

Greg
mclane

Post by mclane »

Aart is a master
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
aartbik

Post by aartbik »

Thanks all!

The Chessnut EVO arrived today as well, so I am eagerly awaiting more information on its specific API so I can start hacking!

aartbik

Post by aartbik »

How about something like this?
:wink:

mclane

Post by mclane »

This looks like an interesting machine to build a new dedicated chess computer with lots of emulations.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....