Millennium ChessGenius Pro 2024 version

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Murat

Millennium ChessGenius Pro 2024 version

Post by Murat »

The Genius keeps on giving.

https://computerchess.com/en/detail/7ce ... 7f0dfdc011

2024 regards

Murat
Tibono2

Re: Santa, where are you?

Post by Tibono2 »

Thanks for the heads-up, Murat.
The box looks much improved! I particularly like the new display, close to what you get with the app on a smartphone.
And apparently they removed that silly "pieces compartment" :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Eric
Bryan Whitby

Re: Santa, where are you?

Post by Bryan Whitby »

There are actually four piece sets to use, two colour and two mono.

The first two photos are my graphics.
The third photo is also my graphics but Richard changed them many years ago probably for the old Pocket PC.
The last photo is Richards version of my new mono pieces.

A little bit of information is that both of my new piece sets, Classic & Special (I didn't name them) where my first attempt to produce new pieces for the Chess Genius Pro. I did however produce other better pieces that where rejected by the company in charge of producing the new model.

If anyone is interested, the pieces had to fit into a 28 x 28 pixel square which is very small when you are working with pgn piece graphics.

Image Image Image Image
Murat

Re: Millennium ChessGenius Pro 2024 version

Post by Murat »

It was just posted on the German forums that the program is based on the Chess Genius Exclusive not the old PRO.

So it plays a bit more solidly, has more endgame knowledge.

Very nice little machine.

Murat
Murat

Post by Murat »

A side by side photo with Mephisto Europa A

Courtesy of Jürgen

Buying more chess computer virus is real.

Murat
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

I wasn’t going to invest in another ChessGenius machine but alas I succumbed and ordered a ChessGeniusPro 2024 :)

It arrived yesterday and first impressions are mainly positive.

First, here is what I like in no particular order of importance and probably not much different to the points others have already made:

1. The sensor board is a joy to use unlike the older CG machines. Just a light press is all that is required. The pieces stay on the board with good magnets so this makes it very good as a portable device and for moving from one room to another.

2. The design of the machine is superior over the original machines with a more professional look and feel. The pieces have a nice design and not the flashy chrome of the original, although I did not think they were so bad, but the newer machine is a little more subtle in this respect.

3. The colour display is very nice and easy to read albeit a little on the small side. I have no problems seeing the moves made by the machine with the small but nice chess piece graphics. The brightness settings work well unlike the strange contrast settings of the original pro that I could never detect any differences between. The colour is a bonus but have to say is nice and adds to my overall impression. It can display most of the required information including the book opening names - a feature I appreciate - the evaluation, current best line and clocks, but not positions per second or total position count.

4. It contains the updated ChessGenius program as found in the Exclusive Element. So it has more endgame knowledge and the addition of user-definable levels, but is running on the same hardware as the original Pro. Not that this is necessarily bad in my opinion as the machine is more than strong enough for me at around the same rating as the older model.

5. It has the capability of saving 12 games to internal memory. I’ve not tested this feature so don’t know if the games are stored in non-volatile memory or if we at least need batteries. I’m hoping the former. This is a nice feature but there is no way of transferring the games to external storage, so a manual replay would be required. At this price point it’s probably unfair to expect USB sockets or SD card slots.

6. A minor point is the inclusion of spare queens.

Now for some negative points which for me are not major but some may think otherwise of course:

1. It does not detect when running on mains power so still uses power saving features such as dimming the display and switching into standby mode after a period of inactivity. I’ve not fully tested this but have observed the display dimming which just requires pressing a button to get it back to full brightness. The older model is better in this respect as on mains will keep the display backlight on unless the user switches it off.

2. The volume of sound effects can be adjusted but is not loud enough in my opinion for move announcements. When a move is made there is some form of slide effect, not speech, but even with volume on maximum is easy to miss. On the other hand, if the volume setting is on maximum the power on/off crescendo is too loud!

3. It has two player/analysis mode but if wanting to analyse a position unattended for days on end this would not be possible due to the power saving. Unless the user periodically presses a button then after an hour it will switch into sleep mode. There is a trick to make it analyse much longer such as four hours, by using the user-definable levels and setting it to 1 move every 4 hours. However, I would think the design criteria for this machine is as a portable running on battery power, so conserving energy is a high priority. That said, it would have been a bonus if power saving were at least a selectable option so that on mains power there would be no such restrictions. As my intended use of this machine is as a handy small device to sit on my lap of an evening to learn from and play, then days of analysis is not a high priority, for me that's more of a fun experiment to see if the device can solve a position given long enough. Nowadays, I feel that after waiting four hours and it not solving a position is enough time for me to wait!

4. The supplied instruction book is just a quick guide. I always want full information supplied with the machine. So at this point I don’t know full details of the machine, for example it has selectable opening books as per the old CGPro and I suspect they are identical but cannot say for sure.

That’s about it for now as only had the device for a day. I’m currently performing a 10 game match between the old Pro and this new machine on a time control of 40moves/2 hours. I’ve set them both on the Classic/London book as in my experience albeit with a small number of games, the CGPro seemed to perform better against computer opponents with the smaller book. I think the Modern (HIARCS) book is great for human/machine games but the ChessGenius runs into problems with many of the openings and can lose games badly against strong but weaker computer opponents. I suspect the result of my match will be a draw or close, but there may be some games of interest.

Regards
Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Thanks Ray. I'm pleased to hear the sensor board has improved.

I wasn't planning to invest, however, it may be an option to put the older boards on eBay and upgrade to the 2024...

Greg
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Hi Greg,

I debated for quite a while before deciding to get the 2024 version. At first I thought the changes over the older model were too minimal. However, I weakened after reading what other people had said and not disappointed that I did! It's a nice little portable device with some good features, even if it is using the same hardware as the older Pro.

I can now confirm that save games are stored in non-volatile memory. I tested last night by turning the unit off, disconnecting the mains supply, and then after a little while put some rechargeable batteries in and the saved game was still in tact.

Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

New Chess Genius Pro 2024 for sale only £100

Given to me by Millennium.

Tested working ok.

Payment by PayPal (No Friends & Family).

Buyer must arrange pick up by their own courier.

Sizes for your courier.
350cm x220cm x 40cm

Please PM me if you are interested.

Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

***SOLD***
Partchi

Post by Partchi »

Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum.
I have a technical question
I bought a second-hand Millennium Chessgenius PRO 2024 electronic chess game.
when I received it, I turned it on to see if it worked, everything was perfect
The same evening I wanted to play a game, but when I turned it on, the screen remained stuck on "Millenium", I did a reset, changed the batteries, it still remained blocked
could someone help me?
Murat

Post by Murat »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Although you bought it second hand, it may be still under warranty.

I would contact the seller and even Millennium for possible warranty repairs.

Good luck

Murat
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
and meanwhile checking for warranty opportunity, also make sure no key remained stuck down, remove the batteries, make sure any remaining power within the electronics is drained out (press power on, backlight on...), wait a dozen minutes more, and then only insert the batteries back in.
Hope this helps,
Tibono