Conversion of a Dubrovnik Chess Set for the Millennium T55/ Mephisto Phoenix

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
synthese

Conversion of a Dubrovnik Chess Set for the Millennium T55/ Mephisto Phoenix

Post by synthese »

Hi,
In 2017, I purchased these pieces featuring drilled holes and finished in the timeless 'Mordovian Red' color from Chessbazaar—a hue especially favored for hobbyist pieces in the Grandmaster style during the 1960s and 1970s in the USSR.

Initially, I experimented with the adaptation for DGT eboards, which was relatively easy since the coils for piece recognition are separately available.

Later, due to the absence of LEDs and insufficient online support, I parted ways with my DGT equipment.

In my opinion, the pieces aesthetically complemented the Wenge board the best. When Millennium introduced the Phoenix with the dark T55, the decision was clear.

Concerning the RFID chips, I reached out to Thomas Karkosch from Millennium, but unfortunately, they were unwilling to sell me chips. So my only option was to acquire replacement pieces for the Millennium Exclusive and extract the chips :-)

I'm thrilled with the results after the modification. Feel free to give me feedback.

Best regards
Harry

https://youtu.be/hdnEdXBPK18?si=aizRZa1inBnutc0a
fourthirty

Re: Conversion of a Dubrovnik Chess Set for the Millennium T55/ Mephisto Phoenix

Post by fourthirty »

Well done Harry! That was quite the ambitious project.

Just curious - there are no interference problems from the lead pellets?

Beautiful set regards,
Greg
synthese

Re: Conversion of a Dubrovnik Chess Set for the Millennium T55/ Mephisto Phoenix

Post by synthese »

Hi Greg,
thank you very much for your feedback.

No, there are no problems with interference between the lead weight and the chips. Everything runs smoothly.

Best regards,
Harry
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Good job, Harry,
that's very nice. The chess setup of course, and the video itself as well.
Thanks for sharing!
Eric
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Excellent video Harry.
I really appreciated it.

Seasonal Regards
♟️Bryan♟️
synthese

Post by synthese »

@Eric @Bryan

Thank you very much for your appreciation!

Winter holiday regards
Harry