Which GUI?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
oddg

Which GUI?

Post by oddg »

Which GUI do you use to play against the Hiarcs engine that support the DGT board?

I have been using a script to connect it to Lichess and playing the games there, but I will do some training games for an upcomming tournament and will use my main repertoire. If I play them on Lichess I will review my opening prep. so I though to do it offline. I have used Shredder and Aquarium before, and also Fritz with some modification to let it play with reduced strength, but maybe there is some better GUI to use. It could be free or commercial.
programmierbär

Re: Which GUI?

Post by programmierbär »

oddg

Post by oddg »

programmierbär wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:09 pm Hi,

have you tried BearChess?

https://www.solanosoft.com/index.php?page=bearchess
Hi,

I tried it, but it was a little unstable. My first game lasted only 5-6 moves before it stopped responding. Then I couldn't get it to work for a wail. I got it to work by changing the color so the setup was with the connectors on the right and me playing black. It seems to be more sensitive to how the move are done, if you do the computer move when you see it, before it has been announced on the clock it wouldn't register it.

It is an interesting program so I will investigate it some more when I get time. Apart from the DGT trouble, there is also some noise in the pgn that i have to get rid of.

Right now I have enough with preparation for the upcoming tournament and will use Fritz with his personality to do my sparring games.
programmierbär

Post by programmierbär »

Hi,
oddg wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:02 pm It is an interesting program so I will investigate it some more when I get time. Apart from the DGT trouble, there is also some noise in the pgn that i have to get rid of.

on "Games => Settings" is an option for "Pure PGN export". This should redouce the "noise" :)

Let me know if you find some bugs and I wil try to find and fix it.
oddg

Post by oddg »

programmierbär wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 pm Hi,
oddg wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:02 pm It is an interesting program so I will investigate it some more when I get time. Apart from the DGT trouble, there is also some noise in the pgn that i have to get rid of.

on "Games => Settings" is an option for "Pure PGN export". This should redouce the "noise" :)

Let me know if you find some bugs and I wil try to find and fix it.
Yes, I tried this but it removed the clock time too. Something I want to have.
I can do some more test on the dgt next week.

If you are the programmer, I would like to have some more tags in the pgn export. Like timecontrol and the computer Elo when it's already there. Also it would be nice to have an option to use clocktime (%clk) instead of movetime (%emt) for clock time if I want to export the game to a Lichess study.
oddg

Post by oddg »

oddg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:13 am If you are the programmer, I would like to have some more tags in the pgn export. Like timecontrol and the computer Elo when it's already there. Also it would be nice to have an option to use clocktime (%clk) instead of movetime (%emt) for clock time if I want to export the game to a Lichess study.
I'm not home now, but I think I saw a missing line shift between the tags and the movetext in the pgn file.
programmierbär

Post by programmierbär »

Hi,
oddg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:13 am
If you are the programmer, I would like to have some more tags in the pgn export. Like timecontrol and the computer Elo when it's already there. Also it would be nice to have an option to use clocktime (%clk) instead of movetime (%emt) for clock time if I want to export the game to a Lichess study.
Yes, I am :)
I will add a dialog in the next version where you can select which information should be included in the pgn file.