Al (Scally) Cooper RIP

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Four.nine

Re: Al (Scally) Cooper RIP

Post by Four.nine »

Very sorry to get this news.
Al got me started with Picochess and the DGT Pi..I just played a Pico game...and thought of him.
I was about to email him, to see how he was doing, but did an internet search and found this out.....Very sad.
When Al would compile new engines for the Pi, I would evaluate the new releases for bugs. He was great to work with and it was really fun to watch the progression of programs beyond human strength....I would write him sometimes about a new "Monster" that was mind boggling in playing strength. An excellent programmer, we "got" each others work.
Thanks to him I have at least 50 chess programs in the basement stronger than the world champ.
As mentioned by another member, he came to NYC by cruise ship (I could look it up, but it was something like 7-8 years ago) and I drove up for lunch.
A true class act....and I don't think we even talked about chess that much...just life.

RIP Scally
Four.nine

Re: Al (Scally) Cooper RIP

Post by Four.nine »

Still thinking about the sad Al news....I checked my emails and found that we had lunch in NYC, November 11, 2019....so, actually, just a little over 4 years ago.
things can change pretty fast

Scally: outstanding computer chess enthusiast