Big, Old Mephisto Computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IpswichMatt

Big, Old Mephisto Computer

Post by IpswichMatt »

I've recently acquired a Mephisto Chess Computer. It doesn't appear to have a model name but googling mephisto images I've found it to be a Mephisto ESB 6000. Sadly it doesn't seem to work so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Can anyone offer any advice please? Is it possible to fix these things?
anonanist

Re: Big, Old Mephisto Computer

Post by anonanist »

Hi Matt, maybe if you describe the issue a bit more you'd get more of a response? Are you suggesting it doesn't power on at all?
IpswichMatt

Post by IpswichMatt »

Thanks for the reply- yes I should have provided more info...

When I switch it on, there is a small green power light on the chessboard - this comes on OK.

When I move a piece away from a square, I can hear the switch under the square operating - but not on all squares. So some of the relays (or whatever they're called) need replacing.

There is a drawer in this thing which contains the pieces and a black lump with an LCD display and some sliding switches. When I move the switches, the display comes on briefly and then fades out. I believe the black lump is called a "briquette". I removed it and found that it has a battery compartment - which had the old batteries in it. I have removed them but they've left a load of gunk in the battery compartment, as is the way of old batteries. I do not know if this is an issue since the computer is plugged in - I don't need to run it on batteries. Or does it need the batteries too?

Any advice gratefully received. I don't suppose it's possible to replace the briquette with a new one? Or is it possible to replace the briquette with something better?

One other question - do people ever gut these old computers and use them as the basis for an up to date machine?

Matt
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Matt - while I am not an expert on ESB6000s, here are a couple of answers to a few of your questions: careful use of baking soda and an old tooth brush can be used to remove the battery acid residue. Yes, you can look on your local eBay and occasionally find a replacement briquette. I think Mephisto made three improved models: I, II, III. These will also be vintage, but they are generally fairly reliable. The sensors under each square can be replaced. A quick search online and you will find YouTube videos. And finally, yes, people that are gifted at modifying electronic equipment have used the ESB6000 model to significantly update with more modern Mephisto hardware.
Maybe someone with more experience with the ESB6000 than me may provide better and more detailed answers.
Good luck,
Dave C
IpswichMatt

Post by IpswichMatt »

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your reply.

I'm really really ignorant about this stuff. Hopefully this is a question that anyone cleverer than me (which is everyone who isn't me) will be able to answer...

When I remove the briquette, what's left? I can see a socket that the briquette plugs into - is that thing just a connection to the sensor board or is there more to it? What I mean is, if I remove the briquette could I then get the sensor board working independent of the briquette? If so, are there youtube videos that show how to do that?

I want to be sure that after replacing the dodgy reed switches the sensory board as a whole then functions.
IpswichMatt

Post by IpswichMatt »

Dave - or anyone else - is it possible/likely that all of the old battery crud is causing a short circuit?

Also, is the briquette supposed to work stand-alone? I.e. if I unplugged it from the rest of the computer and put batteries in it, and if it was working properly - would I be able to play a game on it?

Matt