Hiarcs for Android please

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
jfrendek

Hiarcs for Android please

Post by jfrendek »

A while back I asked what the strategic direction for Hiarcs mobile was going to be. I never really got an answer but I now believe the path should be clear. I think Android is going to be the most relevant phone OS in the predictable future. My thoughts are...

Windows -Dropped the ball. Too little too late and they want to charge for their OS

IPhone - Worthwhile but when people see they can have something as good but open without Apple's baggage most will see the light

RIM - Business being tied to them are their only saving grace.

Android - It's open, free and written by Google and avaiable on many good phones and carriers.

Just my opinion but I think it makes sense. Certainly too many platforms would cause too many headaches!

-Jim R.
Chess is life!
zamana

Post by zamana »

I second that.

I will be the first one to buy it.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I'd buy it second :D

I've managed to break my S60 phone whilst out in South Africa and have a HTC Desire waiting back in the UK as it's replacement.

I used Genius on my old phone a lot and would be gutted if there wasn't a decent chess program for my new one.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

I think it would be fair to say it is near the top of an ever growing to do list :-)
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

HTC make some neat phones that use the Android OS running the Snapdragon 1ghz processor.Just to say that first to market with high quality chess app should do well financially.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Great news Harvey :D

That's why I went for the HTC Cubeman, punchy processor, probably my first phone to have more grunt than my old Dell Axiom.

Now if you could run Hiarcs for Android and link it to a bluetooth DGT board...... :wink:
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I am in 2 minds on what PDA/ Phone to get next.I like the Snapdragon processor performance but also have alot of Windows mobile chess related software, with PocketFritz4 that I can't live without and also PocketGrandMaster that I use for playing online.Maybe in 2011 I will get clearer picture on where things are after WM7 released.All I say is that it can't hurt developers to create apps for new and exciting OS.Only creating apps for old or abandoned OS makes no-sense.I currently am making do with ipaq 212 and ipaq business navigator
A. Caro

Post by A. Caro »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I think it would be fair to say it is near the top of an ever growing to do list :-)
Sure: first things first!

But second things, second :-)

I would appreciate it, if it will be "second" priority, that HIARCS can be found on Android-Handys (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S i9000) in the near future.

Nevertheless, HIARCS on PocketPC is great and I do have a lot of fun (and chess-knowledge-based input) with it.

Regards
Axel
Paul De Man

Post by Paul De Man »

Hello,

I agree with above. I have a HTC Desire (Android OS 2.2) and it is a bullet (Snap snap!). I have Shredder's version for Android. I made a speed test against my 'old' iPaq 214 with 8 mb hash (624 mhz processor, not bad 'for that time').
I calculate the time necessary to go to 16 ply deep with my 2 Shredder version : 1'24 seconds for the Android, more than 32 minutes with my Windows Mobile version! 23 times faster! To say the truth I think that the Shredder on Android is a new version, but even so....
So I too would be pleased with an Hiarcs on Android (Hiarcsdroid?).
Thanks for 'listening'.

Paul.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Paul, can you run a test of Chess Genius on your HTC Desire with Froyo.I have found Chess Genius a good candidate to make comparisons because the engine has remained the same for many years now and has given identical outputs on the various platforms I have tested, just different speeds.You might be able to test the free version and give a time/depth report from opening position.
rookchess

Hiarcs for Android Phones

Post by rookchess »

Latest news from Hiarcs,,for Android phones?
jhoravi

Post by jhoravi »

ALERT!!! Android is now the World Leading Smartphone ahead of Nokia's Symbian and iPhone!
http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011013.html
So Hiarcs team, you know which mobile platform to do next.
I'm the happiest man if it is paired with Pocket Fritz for Android.
zamana

I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

Post by zamana »

I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

What are you doing? Porting Hiarcs to WinPhone7? Pfu...
tom123

Re: I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet

Post by tom123 »

zamana wrote:I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

But then what is it ??

Here is the screenshot with Hiarcs 13.2SP, thinking on a move(and generating a move of course !!) on Chess For Android GUI. But as far as I know that these engines are not available on android platform !! He He

I test with others engines also like Houdini 1.5, ProDeo, Ruffian, Spike. But these engines installed first but when I try to import them it was written " terminated " and the engines would not load. But in case of Hiarcs, Junior or Rybka it is running like a charm on my Optimus One !!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
zamana

Re: I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet

Post by zamana »

tom123 wrote:
zamana wrote:I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

But then what is it ??

Here is the screenshot with Hiarcs 13.2SP, thinking on a move(and generating a move of course !!) on Chess For Android GUI. But as far as I know that these engines are not available on android platform !! He He

I test with others engines also like Houdini 1.5, ProDeo, Ruffian, Spike. But these engines installed first but when I try to import them it was written " terminated " and the engines would not load. But in case of Hiarcs, Junior or Rybka it is running like a charm on my Optimus One !!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi!

Is this screenshot from your own phone? If so, how did you get the engine?

Thanks.
Regards.