Hardware in Tournaments

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.

When reporting Computer Chess events in the media should hardware details be given? This is not the same question that has been asked in the past about should any hardware be allowed.

Poll ended at Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 35

Wardy

Post by Wardy »

From my point of view I agree that it's critical that hardware be highlighted in the results.

I accept I may be in the minority in preferring that the main events be run on equal hardware but given this isn't going to happen then we need to understand the hardware used.

In my mind it's like F1 we get a champion but in the same breath we get the manufacturer, and from that the observer can make an esitmate of how much of the result was the driver and how much was the car he was sat in.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The articles published on sites like CB and Chessvibes websites were based on a press release by the CSVN here http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... 26&lang=en The release was updated last night to include the line about hardware that was added to the CB article. However I doubt all those sites that published the press release will now amend their articles.

If the press release had been written by the Rybka team I think they could get away with the original wording as it is their job to promote Rybka. The Press Release was made by the tournament organisers and should be fair and impartial.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Monsieur Plastique wrote: Are we saying for example, that Rykba was running on superior hardware to HIARCS, or are we simply saying they were all running on the same hardware but just that we weren't told what that hardware was?
Rybka was on a 128 core cluster, Sjeng was on another 128 core cluster, Hiarcs and Junior were on 12 cores and Shredder 8 cores.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
IA

Post by IA »

I personally am more in favor of the conditions of equality in World Championship Pamplona 2009 with a maximum of 8 Cores, though and since it seems that this is not going to happen should be a way to stop these monsters +128 Cores.

I remember how in 1995 the program Fritz 3 on a Pentium 100 Mhz Won to Deep Blue a large number of Cores.

I think with a good opening Books that carry the items to some tactical positions, closed positions if they seek to curb the power of calculation of these monsters and the chess engine optimized with a given number of cores would be enough to cancel almost all the power of the machines, if we add the advice of some human Grandmasters for a simple program to get vantage points for their style of play should be enough for the worst case even the game and have any chance of defeat these monsters.

In conclusion, look for a way to get positions to nullify all the potential calculation of these monsters of +128 Cores and take my field and in the worst case seek a closed position of tables, sure there are positions to achieve this goal, I would ask advice from a great human teacher and then analyze the rest of chess engines to see if the strategy is and gives good results.

Regards...