Which wooden auto sensory computer?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
TascMaster

Which wooden auto sensory computer?

Post by TascMaster »

I like the idea of buying a large wooden auto sensory computer to put in my living room and play occasionally.

I've done a bit of research but it seems like there are a lot of options.

Taking budget out of the equation, does anyone have an opinion on the 'nicest' wooden board(s) out there?

e.g. TASC, Mephisto (München / Bavaria), Fidelity, Auto Response Board, Conchess Monarch, Novag (Citrine or others), Renaissance etc.

I'm not a strong chess player so I'm not really bothered about the strength of the computer. (e.g. I won't rule out a particular board just because it's strong or weak).

I've ruled out the DGT board because I don't want to have to use it with a PC in the living room.

Thanks.
Larry

Re: Which wooden auto sensory computer?

Post by Larry »

TascMaster wrote: Taking budget out of the equation, does anyone have an opinion on the 'nicest' wooden board(s) out there?

Thanks.
Hi, Budget aside, check out this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Mephisto-Munchen-Van ... 230ec65b10
Not a small outlay, but your money is safe with one of these. It will hold
it's value. It's a very big board, beautiful with ornate pieces. Quite a strong
program by dedicated standards, but it will have an 'easy' mode for you.
Regardless of which wooden board you like, don't leave the pieces set
up on the board for long periods. They will leave faded spots on the squares
which will reduce the board's value and appearance.
all the best,
Larry (proud owner of a Muchen board)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Tachmaster
this is really a matter of personal taste
if i had to choose one wooden chess computer over all the rest ..i would probably go with the Fidelity Prestige
a full-tournament sized board with the most beautiful pieces ever released with a chess computer(IMHO)
plays around 1650 Elo(1800 USCF)

Holz Regards
Steve
IA

Post by IA »

Hello TascMaster, One of the machines that have better game play is the Novag Constellation Expert , this machine is the successor to the Super Constellation and plays like a human, for what you want do not see anything better than this machine in all aspects:

Novag Constellation Expert +1850 Elo
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ion_Expert

Wood:
http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/wood.html

Alternative
http://www.chesscomputer.eu/

Regards...
TascMaster

Post by TascMaster »

IA wrote:Hello TascMaster, One of the machines that have better game play is the Novag Constellation Expert , this machine is the successor to the Super Constellation and plays like a human, for what you want do not see anything better than this machine in all aspects:
Hi, thanks for this interesting suggestion. It looks goood and has interesting features. I like this board although my concern is that it may be a bit too small.

I like the idea of a tournament sized board or similar. I want a board that I could picture Karpov and Kasparov playing on, if they ever came to my house.
TascMaster

Post by TascMaster »

Steve B wrote:Hi Tachmaster
this is really a matter of personal taste
if i had to choose one wooden chess computer over all the rest ..i would probably go with the Fidelity Prestige
a full-tournament sized board with the most beautiful pieces ever released with a chess computer(IMHO)
plays around 1650 Elo(1800 USCF)
Thanks, this is a useful insight. I haven't had the pleasure of ever using a wooden autosensory board, so I can't conclusively say what my personal taste is. My only chess computer has been my trusty Kasparov Turbostar 432+.

But the Fidelity Prestige definitely looks way up there on my list of possible purchases. It's a shame that they didn't make a same-size model with 2 LED dispays.
TascMaster

Re: Which wooden auto sensory computer?

Post by TascMaster »

Larry wrote: Not a small outlay, but your money is safe with one of these. It will hold
it's value. It's a very big board, beautiful with ornate pieces. Quite a strong
program by dedicated standards, but it will have an 'easy' mode for you.
Regardless of which wooden board you like, don't leave the pieces set
up on the board for long periods. They will leave faded spots on the squares
which will reduce the board's value and appearance.
Thanks for the response, Larry. I like the Mephistos. I remember looking at the adverts in the back of chess catalogues back in the 1980s and 90s in amazement, but not being able to justify buying one. It was the first thing I searched for when I started researching this a few days ago.

I always see the Mephisto boards with the drawer open. This somewhat disturbs the visual symmetry of the board, for me. Is it possible to play against the computer with the drawer closed?
TascMaster

Post by TascMaster »

From what I can tell, the TASC R30 / R40 have small playing surfaces, so I will rule them out.

What about the Renaissance boards? They seem to be quite large, although I get the impression that the playing surface is far from tournament size.

And is there no love for the Revelation chess board? It seems nice and big and has that quality varnished look. However, I can't find the dimensions, and I think the OLED display (whilst nice) appears to be on the small side.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

TascMaster wrote:From what I can tell, the TASC R30 / R40 have small playing surfaces, so I will rule them out.

What about the Renaissance boards? They seem to be quite large, although I get the impression that the playing surface is far from tournament size.

And is there no love for the Revelation chess board? It seems nice and big and has that quality varnished look. However, I can't find the dimensions, and I think the OLED display (whilst nice) appears to be on the small side.
Well i did preface my reply by saying "if i had to choose only one wooden board" it would be the Prestige
Saitek Released 3 wooden boards that are also Tournament sized ..
Leonardo ..Galileo and Renaissance
Leonardo and Galileo only have 16 Leds though
the Revelation is of course also very beautiful ,,full Tournament sized with beautiful pieces and the display is just fine size wise
all of these boards are a sheer pleasure to play on

Holz Rulez Regards
Steve
TascMaster

Post by TascMaster »

Hello chaps

Following Steve's post, I decided to do a bit more research on the Renaissance, and now I think that is the board for me!

I have looked on eBay, but it doesn't seem to be listed actively (or even on completed listings). Where might I have better succcess? Or should I just hold out for a listing on eBay?

Thanks.
thierrycatalan

Post by thierrycatalan »

hello ,

i think that a sensory board is a sensitive and fragile electronic technology. so a sensory board 20 years old can have some problemes ( capteurs, leds) .

the only one sensory wood chess board is today the novag citrine .

in germany , the price is around 300 euros . (Niggemann) .

here you can find beautiful wood pieces for the citrine :

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CMD2014.htm

cordialement à tous sur le forum

thierry
TascMaster

Post by TascMaster »

Hello thierrycatalan

I researched the Novag Citrine but I prefer the boards from the 80s and 90s. I am prepared to take the risk that the electronics may become faulty.

I have my soldering iron ready :)

TM
9RX

Post by 9RX »

Hey Tascmaster,

I hope you've found your board by now, but if not, and for anyone else, I would strongly recommend the Renaissance board. It is near perfect!
If you're shopping for one, there are only a few things to know. The stand alone board (without modules) has a weak program.
And only boards made after 1993 have the "SPARC COMPATIBLE" sticker on the bottom of it. This may not be a problem as SPARC modules are rare.
I think the sticker only applies to the SPARC module and not the BRUTE FORCE or ANALYST modules.

Also, I purchased a Citrine and I'm not very fond of it.. It doesn't function smoothly and the display plug-in thing is weird.
For example, if your capturing a piece, you can't first lift the captured piece, and then move. This might not make sense, or seem trivial,
but if you're used to playing on a board where this is not a problem, it will drive you nuts!

Good luck,
9R
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Hello!

If you want to to for a classic wooden chesscomputer...i'd choose one of the already suggested ones. Mephisto München w. 16/32 bit module, Prestige, Avantgarde, TASC, ARB 4.0,...what ever you personally prefer.
They all have this certain historic flair, remembering the great times of dedicated chess computers.

But if you want to go for a new approach - and even though you already ruled it out - i'd go for a DGT board + DGT XL clock + Ricomagic (or.Odroid)which altogether is ==> PICOCHESS. :idea:
The good thing - no PC/Laptop is needed, except for applying a possible new code. The second good thing, it's working perfectly and you are part of a project...a new software with different adjustments possible.

Take a look at: http://jromang.github.io/Stockfish/
You can also subscribe to a google newsgroup.

And if you don't like it - what i personally doubt - you can still sell it as an ordinary DGT board.

Cheers, Wolfgang