Seeking Mephisto Education

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SeamusORiley

Seeking Mephisto Education

Post by SeamusORiley »

I love the Milano and Academy but am considering a full size wooden board and need to learn how to pick out a board that is Made in Germany, and not the ones made in China. I love the German quality but have never owned one of these large ones. If anyone can help with questions, I will be grateful.

1. How can I tell which Exclusives are made in Germany and which are made in china?

2. Are all the wooden boards auto sensory?

3. My favorite is the Polgar, but I haven't been able to find one. Is ebay the best source? About what might I expect to pay? the data base is a bit confusing because I am not sure if it is for the module or module and the board.

There is one up now--- a MM IV on ebay.de but I cannot tell if it is the older, made in Germany models, or the ones made after Saitek bought Mephisto.

I love the Ed Shroder programming but am open to others (since I have my Milano!)

I have read a lot of good things about the Munich board, but does that mean the Munich board AND the module , or just the board? This has been a bit confusing for me.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi Seamus, I can only answer your question 2 with any certainty. The
wooden boards are not all auto sensory. I can think of two straight off
that are pressure sensory... Fidelity's '12' level, and the Scisys Stratos.
There are no doubt others.
I hope other members here can help you out with other info.
all the best to you.
Larry
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
if you are looking for a special community for old chess computer: www.schachcomputer.info ... you can speak there also English, no problem at all.

Your questions:

1. All Exclusive boards which are made before 1991 are made in Germany ... and all Munich (München) boards. And the frame around the wood is different ... you can see this at our Wiki: http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... _Exclusive

2. All Mephisto boards are auto sensory!

3. For a Polgar with Exclusive board you have to pay between 250,- and 400,- Euro ... it depends how good the condition is. I have also a small community for sell and buy chess computer: http://www.warnemuende.cc/forum/index.php

Best Regards,
Sascha aka Mythbuster
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

One more thing: The MM IV ist older and not so interesting ... better is the MM V ... he is more active! Both are made in Germany.

The only computer sets which are from Saitek are: MM VI, Senator and Magellan. All the rest was build in Munich.

And: A Müchen (Munich) board is beside the Bavaria the best you can get ... but for a one in best condition (A rated) you have to pay 400,- Euro for the board only!

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... C3%BCnchen

Best Regards,
Sascha
SeamusORiley

Post by SeamusORiley »

This has been very helpful. I want to thank all for responding.

The seller says it does not say Made in China anywhere and does not have plastic binding. It is the board originally sold with MM V but he changed the module to the polgar.

In nice condition, what would be expected price?

thank you all.
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

A Polgar Set with Exclusive Board in very good condition? I think, 350,- Euro is a fair price.

Regards,
Sascha
SeamusORiley

Post by SeamusORiley »

Thanks, Sasha. I didn't realize how high they go!

I think shipping to US is going to be another 36 or more Euro, so it is getting up there.

Do you know what board the Polgar was originally sold with? I have not seen one for sale with the leather carrying case.
SeamusORiley

Post by SeamusORiley »

Opinion on Exclusive IV? There is one about to expire on ebay which is reasonable...106 euro now. Looks like good condition wooden board.

thanks!