Recommended battery-powered wooden chess computer?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
red_potatoes

Recommended battery-powered wooden chess computer?

Post by red_potatoes »

I'd like to complete my (limited) dedicated chess computer collection by purchasing a wooden machine. I have a preference for battery operated machines, since I can play them anywhere.

Machines that currently interest me:

Mephisto Monte Carlo. My very first chess computer was a Super Mondial I. Long ago broken, a Monte Carlo would allow me to play against a program that has sentimental value - but I have no feel for M.C. board and piece quality. Anyone here own one?

Mephisto Exclusive. These have intrigued me for years (ever since I saw one advertised in the early 1990s) - but again, I have never seen one in person. I noticed in the last Selective Search magazine that Mark Uniacke showed up at Eric Hallsworth's place with one, to demonstrate Hiarcs on a revelation module, and I thought - if its good enough for Mark, it should be good enough for me!

Saitek President. Pictures look nice, but I haven't seen one in person...

I'd be grateful for any comments users might have about the aesthetics of these dedicated machines, including piece weight. I mention the latter as I own a DGT board - but use it more for analysis than for playing, as I prefer to play with heavier pieces. Indeed when I play my dedicated (plastic) machines, I generally play on a separate board with weighted wooden pieces.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

The Exclusive is your best best as it is readily available on Ebay and it will take many Mephisto modules
the other boards you mention will only take the one program built into it

CXG made some nice wooden boards and generally get paid very little attention as their strength was never really high
the CXG board for the Commander,Limited Edition and Sphinx 40 modules will run on batteries but to use the Sphinx 40 module you will need an adaptor
the CXG board is 40x40 cm and taller then the Mephisto with a nice heavy -solid feel to it
the pieces are fairly light and about the same weight as the Exclusive and President but somewhat taller and they are much heavier then the pieces for the various Monte Carlo versions

Sciscys released a number of battery operated wooden boards including the Astral,Capella and Virtuoso but here again you are looking at just the one built in program
Board Meeting Regards
Steve