Portable Collector: Unusual SharperImage, Excalibur Twins

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SirDave

Portable Collector: Unusual SharperImage, Excalibur Twins

Post by SirDave »

Usually, twins or clones come from expected sources such as the case where many Radio Shack chess computers are retitled Saitek units, but the following are examples of two portables that are not only (apparently) rare, but also have unusual/unexpected origins.

First up is the Sharper Image Chess Companion, model SM460. If the relative lack of information about it on the internet and very rare appearance on eBay is any indication, it must have not sold very well. However, it is an excellent pocketable portable for the advanced beginner up to the advanced occasional player. But where did it come from?

Answer: The Sharper Image SM460 is a gray-colored version of the Mephisto SuperMini above. It is rare to find the SuperMini on the American eBay though it makes occasional appearances on the German eBay. These are very nicely designed units with all of the requirements for an optimum pocketable for those under a club level: ELO circa 1400-1450, mini-size, overall intuitive design, easily accessible place to store captured pieces, nice basic opening book and the ability to show position evaluation (something that I think is invaluable for all players up to and including club level players).

The SuperMini superseded the Mephisto Mini which looks almost the same, but is a weaker unit and has no book. The Mini seems to crop up on eBay more frequently than the SuperMini. BTW: The Mephisto Mini has its origin from the Fidelity Tiny Chess unit.

Next up is the Excalibur Viper (above) which, like the Sharper Image unit, is rarely seen on eBay and for which there is almost no mention on the internet. Where does it come from?

Answer: The Excalibur Viper is a repackaged Novag Amethyst and they are the very same in every respect except for the nameplates. (The above is actually the Novag Amethyst Plus which is similar in strength to its predecessor, Amethyst, but has gray/blue color on the membrane keys rather than red and also has a different group for each level, one using a 'best move' and the other using a random selection of 'good moves'.

The Novag Amethyst (and, of course, Excalibur Viper) is an attractive unit (and has a minor similarity to the design of the far more advanced Novag Jade/Jade II). However, it is weaker than the Mephisto SuperMini with an ELO circa 1350, has a minimal (some might say, relatively useless) opening book, is a size above what could be called pocketable and does not have position evaluation information.

However, there is one good reason to own a Novag Amethyst or Excalibur Viper: They use exactly the same pieces as the Novag Jade/Jade II.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Perhaps the most famous Sharper Image clone would be their version of the Excalibur Phantom Force Robot ..called simply..
Phantom! Chess
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0922174592

i own one other SI clone ..
the Super Mini clone you described in your post

Sharper Clones Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:Perhaps the most famous Sharper Image clone would be their version of the Excalibur Phantom Force Robot ..called simply..
Phantom! Chess

Sharper Clones Regards
Steve
Sharper Image was an unusual company. I can see why they repackaged and distributed the handheld chess clones, but why something as 'exotic' as the Phantom Chess (ie. for gadget stores)? (Though it is one beautiful unit you have there.) Actually, I'm still wondering why they went under (except for a very limited online presence) and Brookstone survives (the air purifier fiasco probably didn't help!).

I'm impressed that you have the Sharper Image SuperMini clone. The only one I've ever seen on eBay was the one I bought and they are nowhere to be found on the internet (not to mention information about them). One thing I get a kick out of is that if you look on the back of the manual, it says, 'Manufactured by Sharper Image Corporation'.

Looking Around For Something To Repaint & Rename And Put On It 'Manufactured By Dave' Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:
Steve B wrote:Perhaps the most famous Sharper Image clone would be their version of the Excalibur Phantom Force Robot ..called simply..
Phantom! Chess

Sharper Clones Regards
Steve
Sharper Image was an unusual company. I can see why they repackaged and distributed the handheld chess clones, but why something as 'exotic' as the Phantom Chess (ie. for gadget stores)? (Though it is one beautiful unit you have there.)

I'm impressed that you have the Sharper Image SuperMini clone. The only one I've ever seen on eBay was the one I bought and they are nowhere to be found on the internet (not to mention information about them). One thing I get a kick out of is that if you look on the back of the manual, it says, 'Manufactured by Sharper Image Corporation'.

Looking Around For Something To Repaint & Rename And Put On It 'Manufactured By Dave' Regards,
Dave

with all of the chess computers i have i am glad you are finally impressed with at least one of them
:o

seriously though..
it is shameless how they take credit for things they have no right to take credit for
in additiion to the manual ..the side of the box also says they manufactured it
the box also makes the claim that the computer is a "Sharper Image Design"
:P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0922174174

Plagiarising Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:
SirDave wrote:
Phantom! Chess

Sharper Clones Regards
Steve
Sharper Image was an unusual company. I can see why they repackaged and distributed the handheld chess clones, but why something as 'exotic' as the Phantom Chess (ie. for gadget stores)? (Though it is one beautiful unit you have there.)

Dave

with all of the chess computers i have i am glad you are finally impressed with at least one of them
:o
Everyone has eyes for the beauty queen (read: your Rev I). Somebody has to look out for the poor tiny unappreciated critters (read: your SI SuperMini clone). Still, I wouldn't recommend leaving me alone in the room with your Rev I... :D

Beauty Is In The Eyes Of The Beholder Regards,
Dave