Mephisto Monte Carlo IV sold for 815EUR on eBay

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fdimeglio

Mephisto Monte Carlo IV sold for 815EUR on eBay

Post by fdimeglio »

Well, this was a "limited edition" one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 618wt_1258

but I think paying 815EUR for that machine is totally crazy....and a nonsense.

BTW it was not in perfect shape as there was a scratch near the D letter...

Pay the correct price regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wow
i guess i was wrong Fabrice when i predicted 300-350 Euro
this has to be the highest price ever paid for the MC LE by perhaps as much as double even
its not even a rare computer as there were at least a dozen or so on Ebay in the past few years

Hyper Inflation Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Yeah Steve, in French we would say: "tout ce qui brille n'est par d'or".

I would also state that if you are a great Chess Machines collector you should always pay the correct price and nothing like this, isnt it?

LOL Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fdimeglio wrote:Yeah Steve, in French we would say: "tout ce qui brille n'est par d'or".

I would also state that if you are a great Chess Machines collector you should always pay the correct price and nothing like this, isnt it?

LOL Regards,

Fabrice
i wish it were so
sadly i am ashamed to admit i have overpaid for many a chess computer over the years
you know..sometimes you are searching and searching for a particular model for years and suddenly there it is..on Ebay..before your very eyes..
and you just want it come hell or high water
price is no object...reasoning and logic be damned
you pay the price and when it arrives you just scratch it off the search list
i would guess i have overpaid for more computers then i have underpaid for

Collecting can be a cruel Mistress Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:
fdimeglio wrote:Yeah Steve, in French we would say: "tout ce qui brille n'est par d'or".

LOL Regards,

Fabrice
i wish it were so
sadly i am ashamed to admit i have overpaid for many a chess computer over the years
you know..sometimes you are searching and searching for a particular model for years and suddenly there it is..on Ebay..before your very eyes..

Steve
Yes, and somtimes it can be: price is no object with all reasoning and logic intact. I recently bought a unit that was close to #1 on my wishlist. It came on eBay at a Buy Now price that was above what this thing has been selling for when auctioned, but I hadn't seen one available for quite awhile. I bought it knowing I was likely overpaying and I've been happy with the decision ever since. It is a favorite of mine & I was willing to pay the premium for instance gratification.

Sometimes a Boy Needs His Toy NOW Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:
Steve B wrote:

LOL Regards,

Fabrice
i wish it were so

Steve
Yes, and somtimes it can be: price is no object with all reasoning and logic intact. I recently bought a unit that was close to #1 on my wishlist. It came on eBay at a Buy Now price that was above what this thing has been selling for when auctioned, but I hadn't seen one available for quite awhile. I bought it knowing I was likely overpaying and I've been happy with the decision ever since. It is a favorite of mine & I was willing to pay the premium for instance gratification.

Sometimes a Boy Needs His Toy NOW Regards,
Dave
i must admit though
i do gain a new level of respect for a chess computer when i see it go for a high price
i never really thought much of the MC4 LE ..just an MC4 running at 8 Mhz
it is probably the most commonly seen "Limited" Edition ever
i do have other Special or Limited Editions that really are Limited in terms of quantity released for sale
The CXG LE ..dont recall ever seeing one on Ebay and i know of no other collector that owns one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0923814103

having said all that..
now that i see the MC4 LE went for mega bucks...
i whipped out the old dusting cloth and gave it a good shine
Nice Computer Regards
Steve
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

I stand at opinion that max. price must be reasonable and not higher than manufacturer's one in a year of production if the item is complete and in perfect condition.