Need advices for Mephisto and Novag

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IvenGO

Need advices for Mephisto and Novag

Post by IvenGO »

Hi, DCC collectors!

I start to think about replacing my Polgar and Jade II because find them not tactically strong enough for myself anymore (specially when I make pressure on their kings).

So I set my eyes on Milano or Nigel Short and Forte B/C 6MHz and Scorpio...
need some suggestions which of them are more reasonable to buy according to cost / strength {active playing style is also preferred} value...

Milano => 50-75 euros, NS => about 200 (!); Novags => not exactly sure, but seems around 250-300 euros every model.

Thanks in advance!
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Need advices for Mephisto and Novag

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:Hi, DCC collectors!

I start to think about replacing my Polgar and Jade II because find them not tactically strong enough for myself anymore (specially when I make pressure on their kings).

So I set my eyes on Milano or Nigel Short and Forte B/C 6MHz and Scorpio...
need some suggestions which of them are more reasonable to buy according to cost / strength {active playing style is also preferred} value...

Milano => 50-75 euros, NS => about 200 (!); Novags => not exactly sure, but seems around 250-300 euros every model.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Ivengo

Playing strength alone is not the only factor in price
The Nigel is priced higher because it is harder to find then other computers
the Scorpio has a 68k motorola processor and that will also impact price

on this site you can see past Ebay auctions for many chess computers
it will give you a good guide as to prices...
http://www.elpeon.com/

ratings can be found here:
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... -Elo-Liste

if you play against your computers alot i would go with a Novag
the game play is usually very active and less positional making for more of a lively tactical game against humans but less successful against other computers
at least i have personally found this to be the case

IMHO Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi Ivengo, If the Polgar is not strong enough, then the likes of Nigel
Short and Milano will also not be strong enough.

As well as Steve's recommendation, you might consider
this model:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHESS-COMPUT ... 3a7296e1cb

Rated at about elo 2070... it will make you work for your wins. It has
the Morsch program, very sharp at fast time control. These ones can be
bought new!... so there is not problem with undeclared functional issues.
all the best,
Larry
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Ivengo,

Masterchess is the highest elo level machine that you can buy for the lowest price it has a very tactical program and about 150 elo points higher than polgar or jade II. This machine i believe should be very close to a 2200 fide elo player.

Regards
Ricardo
IA

Post by IA »

Hi IvenGO, The best value for money is for Mephisto Explorer Pro +2050 Elo ( +100 Elo Polgar and Jade II ) is still sold new at a great price.

Mephisto Explorer Pro
http://www.mephisto.net/explorer.html

Regards... :wink:
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Hello friends! Thank you all for suggestions! Maybe I wrote my thoughts about a bit wrong (my english is poor); I meant a bit different things:

1) generally Polgar is good when game is going in a standard way, but there are some weakness in close tactics: in rating list its written that NS and Milano have about 100 points higher by BT-2450 => maybe this shows that tactics are improved in later models?

2) NS and Milano: its about 20-30 points between them, so is it a real reason to pay twice more higher? Can human player feel the real difference playing against each of them?

3) Zircon II (sorry, not Jade II - was mistaken!) plays too much passive - sometimes it looks very unnatural, also the opening book is a bit strange; so for replacement which of SF B/C or Scorpio has most interesting and active playing style?

4) I have already Morsch's RS2250XL and its very attractive opponent; also I find it better than Saitek computers from an ergonomic point: for me its important too, because I had problems with 1-LCD Novag model type not so long ago, thats why I dont aim on Star Diamond, for example.

Anyway I would like to keep one of Schroedder's and Kittinger's computer in my small collection...
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

IA wrote:Hi IvenGO, The best value for money is for Mephisto Explorer Pro +2050 Elo ( +100 Elo Polgar and Jade II ) is still sold new at a great price.

Mephisto Explorer Pro
http://www.mephisto.net/explorer.html

Regards... :wink:
I don't think it's available there any longer.