Sad day for Computer Chess

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

Sad day for Computer Chess

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I would just like say how sorry I am to here that Eric has finally announced the end of Selective Search with issue 166.
Cheers Eric and thanks for the last 27 years!!
Best regards
Bryan Whitby
fdimeglio

Re: Sad day for Computer Chess

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello,

Do you know if there is any plan to offer all/some of those issues thru PDF ?

Fabrice
Chessmaster Ireland wrote:I would just like say how sorry I am to here that Eric has finally announced the end of Selective Search with issue 166.
Best regards
Bryan Whitby
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I think you need to speak to Eric about that.
Bryan
Larry

Post by Larry »

Yes it is sad, the end of an era. Nothing is permanent except change...

Larry
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

Certainly, the era of dedicated chess machines burned brightly for just a few years and then died out in favour of chess playing software. I just find that really sad.

Even chess playing software is reaching the end of the road as just a few engines dominate the scene. It just isn't as interesting, nor as exciting, as it used to be.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

There are some dedicated chess machines companies that still stands up, like Novag, excalibur and saitek. There is also a new one like Phoenix chess systems. Maybe some of them are from another companies but they are there.

comming soon regards
Ricardo
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

ricard60 wrote:There are some dedicated chess machines companies that still stands up, like Novag, excalibur and saitek...
comming soon regards
Ricardo
Unfortunately, I don't think so given the dwindling (or even absent) inventories of chess computer websites compared to even one year ago.
Larry

Post by Larry »

SirDave wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think so given the dwindling (or even absent) inventories of chess computer websites compared to even one year ago.
eg... Novag, no more chess comp models to be produced.
Saitek... ditto
Fidelity... defunct
Excalibur... kaput
Mephisto.... history
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

I hadn't realised that dedicated chess computers were in such dire straits, thanks for that info.
Peter Grayson

Re: Sad day for Computer Chess

Post by Peter Grayson »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:I would just like say how sorry I am to here that Eric has finally announced the end of Selective Search with issue 166.
Best regards
Bryan Whitby
Probably the last remaining printed magazine dedicated to computer chess enthusiasts. The fact it has survived so long in the face of the changing media world is testament to Eric's hard work, efforts and enthusiasm.

Just as with the dedicated machines, I am sure these magazines will become a collectable item in the not too distant future having provided an excellent record of the progress of commercial computer chess since the early beginnings.

No doubt after issue No.166 there will be a big void left in the computer chess world.

Not quite the end yet with another six issues to go so perhaps a little bit premature but I am sure everyone has appreciated the efforts put into keeping the magazine going so here's a big "CHEERS!" to you Eric.

Peter
Hans van der Zijden
Editor Computerschaak

Post by Hans van der Zijden »

There is one more magazine still active. The Dutch magazine Computerschaak is still alive, although maybe not for much longer. The board had a real struggle to have enough programs for the tournament last may. If programmers don't want to participate anymore, then the magazine is also losing one of its pillars.

In november they will try once more to organize it. If the respons is again as bad as, or lower than in may, the board will just have a meeting in which we decide that we stop.

We do however have a very active and enthousiastic userclub. They always organize a tournament for dedicated chesscomputers at the same time as the programmers tournament. Whether they will go on seperate with or without a magazine, will also be decided in the meeting I guess.

Hans (Editor of Computerschaak)
Never do something today, that someone else can do tomorrow. (Confusedius)
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

SirDave wrote:
ricard60 wrote:There are some dedicated chess machines companies that still stands up, like Novag, excalibur and saitek...
comming soon regards
Ricardo
Unfortunately, I don't think so given the dwindling (or even absent) inventories of chess computer websites compared to even one year ago.
And what about Phoenix chess systems?
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

ricard60 wrote:
SirDave wrote:
comming soon regards
Ricardo
Very much alive, but it's a very specialized and expensive ($2500+) table-top product. No $50-$200 portables etc. there. Personally, I think there's still a market for a line of affordable dedicated units, but the companies that started in an environment where they were the only game in town were apparently not able to make the transition to the present limited market and now we're left with nothing- other than that to be had on eBay and what's left on-line.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

SirDave wrote:
ricard60 wrote:
SirDave wrote:
comming soon regards
Ricardo
Very much alive, but it's a very specialized and expensive ($2500+) table-top product. No $50-$200 portables etc. there. Personally, I think there's still a market for a line of affordable dedicated units, but the companies that started in an environment where they were the only game in town were apparently not able to make the transition to the present limited market and now we're left with nothing- other than that to be had on eBay and what's left on-line.
This is very strange, a company that build expensive machines ($2500+) is very alive but the ones that can build machines for less than $300 maybe are getting to the end.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hardcore Collectors have a different take on the evolution of the hobby...

its sort of like collecting art work
while an artist is alive grinding out one painting after another his works
wont be as valuable as when he dies
once he croaks the prices soar because there will be no more output
we see this happening with the old wooden chess computers..large or small
with all of the Manufacturers now in the history books the prices steadily go up for these boards because you cant run out and buy a new one
the same is happening for the modules used in the boards

If i were Ruud i would be very nervous if my wife starting asking about upgrading our life insurance policies

the portables are a bit different
today's hand held devices are very similar to having a dedicated portable
so these dont go up all that much over the years..as they are somewhat easily replaceable
although i appreciate them every bit as much as the larger boards

of course collecting is about much more then just the value or worth of a particular computer.. but that is for another day

XXX Hardcore Collecting Regards
Steve