HELP with my POLGAR!!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

HELP with my POLGAR!!!!

Post by chesspcmac »

I have a Munich mephisto board. I have a Rome module works perfectly.
I also have a Polgar module set that I stored for a while. Today I tried to play with the polar and every time I turn it on the G8 and B8 lights keep blinking (it does do it with the rome) What can it be? I open the polgar module very carefully and it has a BATTERY inside, could that be the problem? what is that battery for? Any help will be appreciate it

Mike
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

THERE WERE SOME ERRORS in original post, so Im correcting them

I have a Munich mephisto board. I have a Rome module that works perfectly.
I also have a Polgar module set that I stored for a while. Today I tried to play with the polar and every time I turn it on the G8 and B8 lights keep blinking (it doesn't do it with the rome) What can it be? I open the polgar module very carefully and it has a BATTERY inside, could that be the problem? what is that battery for? Any help will be appreciate it .
UPDATE: If I turn on/off the switch in the computer twice the problem disappears, what can it be? Thank you guys, By the way that battery inside the polar module is welded and it can't be removed (Bios??)
Larry

Post by Larry »

When you plug a module in, the metallic contact is made when you
apply the last bit of pressure and feel it snap into place. Maybe clean
those contacts? This is the best I can suggest, since the Roma modules
are fine. A coating of oxide forms on non used electrical contacts over time, forming an insulative coating. I might be wrong, but worth trying.
The battery inside the module is there to hold your personal settings
while the unit is switched off. It's not 'welded' in, it's soldered in, and
they all go bad in time and have to be replaced. You will know if the
battery is bad when the module defaults to German when you turn it on.
all the best,
Larry
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Hmm... and my Polgar was always to German even when it just had been bought / new... strange...

If Roma module is plugged at left or right bay, try to put Polgar module into other side bay (dont forget about changing LCD :D )
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Larry, Ivengo thanks for the replies. I have tried EVeRYTHING :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some of the buttons at times don't respond, So frustrating. I love my Polgar. I think is a goner :(
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

By the way, Larry: how can Polgar module keeps currently played game in memory when I turn & plug it off if CMOS-battery is dead (as You told for changing to default german language)? Because mine do it well with all settings and clock kept for interrupted/saved game... There must be something else, some kind of energy-free memory...