Collector's Corner..On The Advent Of Handheld Devices

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Collector's Corner..On The Advent Of Handheld Devices

Post by Steve B »

While there has been a worldwide explosion in varying types of handheld devices in recent years there has also been a huge increase in violent crimes associated with stealing them

just this month alone ..in my town..there has been over 100 reported thefts of handheld devices ..right out of the hands of folks while they were walking in the street .. the problem is that these folks are totally hypnotized and mesmerized by the screen in the palm of their hands .. utterly oblivious to their surroundings......thumbs twitching at high speed endlessly texting meaningless messages or thoroughly engrossed in 99 cent mindless-childish game apps from the Istore
last night alone a man was fatally stabbed in the back for his Iphone 5

i have been using handheld portable chess computers on my commute to/fro work since the early 1980's and in those 30+ years no one ever tried to steal one from me or stab me in the back of the head for my Portable Sciscys Executive Chess computer(with LCD Pieces)
i guess thieves aren't all that interested in chess and i am not stupid enough to be walking down the street..head bent over..staring at the device in my hand instead of being aware of my surroundings at all times

This Particular Crime takes Two To Tango Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

The Executive Mobile Thief Charter (2011 amendment) specifically prohibits the theft of chess computers in a public place where

"...the power source is provided primarily by dry cells and the onboard read-only memory is less than or equal to 4096 bytes..."

No wonder you are safe

Regards
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I thought there was a law against being seen in public with such a primitive device.