Brute Force or Selective Search ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IvenGO

Brute Force or Selective Search ?

Post by IvenGO »

Hello dear expert collectors!

Does anyone know which type of sofware (BF or SS) is Fidelity Designer 2265 (I had read that FD2100 is Brute Force) and from which year / model Mephisto by Lang also become to contain Selective Search heurystics?

Thanks in advance!
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Brute Force or Selective Search ?

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:Hello dear expert collectors!

Does anyone know which type of sofware (BF or SS) is Fidelity Designer 2265 (I had read that FD2100 is Brute Force) and from which year / model Mephisto by Lang also become to contain Selective Search heurystics?

Thanks in advance!
Lang's first program for Mephisto was the World Champion Amsterdam in 1985
his search method was always a combination of Selective and Brute Force .. never just Brute Force
his engines for Mephisto always showed the number of Ply searched by Brute and then the number searched by Selective search ..

As to the Designer 2265 and 2100 ..I did a bit of research and while i couldnt find anything in the literature describing the search methods for these exact models ..i did see several references to Fidelity computers in general and they were always described as 'FullWidth" searchers which is another term for Brute Force

Archival Regards
Steve
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Thank You very much!

I thought that Brute Force could be "detected" if a computer has tactical test results more than 100 points lower comparing to its active and tournament ratings (if not declared in manual about possibility of changing Selective Search Depth manually by user), that's why I was not sure about early Mephisto / Lang's computers and FD2265 / Mach III...