Downgrading

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IvenGO

Downgrading

Post by IvenGO »

Sorry if it sounds stupidly but is it possible in general, for example, to put Almeria 16bit eprom into Berlin 68000 board? Will it work correctly?
Thanks in advance!
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Both Berlin and Almeria use the same processor so it should not be a problem but maybe you could get problems with the board. Almeria was written for exclusive boards and Berlin was made for plastic boards. I do not know if there is a Berlin version for exclusive or an Almeria version for plastic boards. But boards could be the same from a hardware point of view just like module boards and exclusive boards. But Berlin plastic board could be different.
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Having in mind that Berlin is a cut version of Vancouver, and Vancouver was designed for using magnet-sensor boards... maybe its not a matter of software at all to have possibility of using magnet or push-boards? And both Almeria and Berlin require the same adapter HGN5004-A...

This crazy idea came to me because I want to get classical Almeria but dislike modular system in general - prefer dedicated devices.
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

What I also want from this experiment is to have a possibility of switching hash tables = OFF; so I need Portorose or Lyon 16-bit EPROM but not Almeria - according to their manuals. Am I correctly translated from german language that 1st and 2nd have this option, and 3rd doesnt?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:What I also want from this experiment is to have a possibility of switching hash tables = OFF; so I need Portorose or Lyon 16-bit EPROM but not Almeria - according to their manuals. Am I correctly translated from german language that 1st and 2nd have this option, and 3rd doesnt?
This is correct
the 1988 Almeria was the first WC module to use the 6 keys-2 module style
it did not have the option to turn Hash On/Off
it also did not have the option to change the style of play from Risky- Normal-Active ..
All WC modules from 1989-1991 had the options to turn Hash On/Off and to change Style of Play

the Almeria also could not be used in the Bavaria board
Starting with the Portorose version 1.04 all WC modules could be used in the Bavaria board
The Almeria and Portorose versions Prior to V 1.04 could not

Corned Beef Hash Regards
Steve
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

One thing that Im afraid of is: Portorose and Lyon use 6-button interface while Berlin 68000 has 8-button... will it be compatible?
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

By the way it might be interesting try to put D/D+ eproms from Maestro modul into Simultano board, if somebody has both for this experiment...