Module Setting ELO Strength Independently of Time Controls.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulhuk

Module Setting ELO Strength Independently of Time Controls.

Post by paulhuk »

Hi All,

I would class myself as an occasional player who loves chess and is intrigued by computer chess but has until recently been too busy to play seriously. I own the Sargon 2.5 ARB, a DGT serial board and Mephisto Exclusive 16 bit Lyon. The latter two I purchased from the highly esteemed Eric Hallsworth.

I prefer not to use DGT because setting it up with a computer, screen and voice activated placement is frankly a real pain. It is NOT like playing on a pure dedicated board and I end up playing the Lyon most of the time. Unfortunately, I am getting a bit fed up with spending careful time contemplating a move only to have the Mephisto reply almost instantly with a horrible retort. I'm on the humiliating 'Easy level 6' by the way complete with the occasional 'patronising' easy level programmed blunders, hence my touchiness.

And here is the essence of the question. Can you vary the ELO strength independently of time controls when using the Phoenix Revelation gold module set? I've trawled the internet for an answer to this but to no avail so I would be most grateful for any help.

If this is not possible then it looks like I will be placing an order for the new Revelation II board. It looks fabulous but it is a little big for my purposes. I would prefer the module solution if at all possible. I look forward to your insights.

Regards,

Paul H
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well that depends on the engine you use in the Revelation
the Revelation has several engines and so the features of that particular engine will determine if you can adjust playing level by Elo

if you buy the Revelation with the Lang Emulation add-on software package .. you will get the Polgar engine which is the only engine in the Rev that does have that feature
you can adjust by Elo for both 40/2 games or Active chess games(Game /30 Min)
Elo can be set between 1200-2000

a far cheaper alternative for you would be to just buy the Polgar modules when you see them offered on Ebay
they came in two versions.. 5 Mhz rated 1963 (Selective Search Mag.)
and a Polgar 10 Mhz rated 2034(Selective Search Mag.)

the Mephisto Risc 1MB and Risc II 1MB modules also have the ELO feature
(these engines are not offered in the Revelation)
these are the only computers i can think off offhand that have the Elo feature but there are probably a few more computers that do have it
it not a feature commonly feature found in dedicated computers though

Electric Light Orchestra Regards
Steve
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Hi Steve,

Wow, fantastic, what a quick response and some great info to boot. Many thanks. I see that the Revelation module is equipped with Rybka, Hiarcs and Shredder. They all have the elo function and that will be more than enough for me to chew on. I do fancy the idea of having the Lang emulations but I'm already struggling with the Karpovian style of the Lyon and can only imagine how devious the faster emulations would be. Then there is the new Rev II. It does look great I must say. Hmmm, I've got some decisons to make now.

Not so easy level regards,

Paul H