The day the tabletops died

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

These DIY projects do raise some interesting issues regarding how to distinguish a dedicated computer from a PC based software implementation. From a personal point of view, I am enormously grateful to Shiv for breathing new life into my previously defunct DGT serial board. The Picochess project is brilliant.

I'm not sure however if this arrangement conforms to the spirit of the dedicated standard. I would have thought you would need the electronics to be embedded within the chess board and the whole system to be largely independent of outside attachments. Then again, what about the Novag Citrine with its external digital display or the fantastic TASC R30's and R40's with there external box of tricks originally designed to make major electronic and software upgrades more feasible and straight forward? Perhaps these newer projects do produce dedicated machines and they are a second wave of 'phoenix' like designs rising from the ashes of the dearly departed old style dedicated table top computers?

'Who can say?' regards,

Paul H

PS I do wish we could get Hiarcs onto the Picochess system though!!!
shiv

Post by shiv »

Great. We need to be grateful to Jean-Francois Romang for starting the project and for most of the work. I have recently added new features but did not start the project.

Conformance to the original spirit of the dedicated standard is a grey area in my mind. In practice, the functionality is quite similar unless you are a collector.

Do you want Hiarcs on picochess primarily due to the engine or the opening book? Picochess currently relies on Stockfish. As the Hiarcs engine is a commercial product, it might be possible to support Hiarcs via network mode to your desktop/laptop PC (though adding this is somewhat complex).

Adding opening book support is much easier with the possibility for individual users to add commercial opening books (in a manner that does not violate license agreements).
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Hi Shiv, I like the Hiarcs style of play but I am also enjoying Stockfish which is a very combative programme. For me a great advantage is the ability to set strength levels independently of time controls as well as the pleasure of playing on a full size wooden tournament board.

To be honest, I am pretty happy with the way things are currently set up. I can always use the iphone to play Hiarcs if push comes to shove. I am very tempted to purchase the revelation gold module for my Mephisto Exclusive which would solve all these problems but at a price of course.

Regards,

Paul H