$1346 for the Montreux!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

$1346 for the Montreux!

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140910689713 ... fresh=true

...and this in very ordinary condition at best, minus pieces and box.
I had my eye on this one, as did others, but I bailed at about $600.
I want a backup Montreux with 128kb ram, but not that badly.

regards,
Larry
mrcdoc

Post by mrcdoc »

Finally, 1346$ for a plaque... All an event :)
But, Larry, do you think it was really different of the regular Montreux?
Plaque Computer Inflation Salutations,
Maurice
Larry

Post by Larry »

mrcdoc wrote: But, Larry, do you think it was really different of the regular Montreux?
Well it's on good advice that the NY Edition Montreux was an
ordinary Montreux adorned with a pretty metallic plaque to help
promote the New York 1995 world championship chess title match.
This being the case, it does not deserve a separate entry in
the Wikipedia Mephisto model list, IMO.
I'd have thought they would tune it perhaps with a higher clock
frequency for the occasion, but apparently not. Maybe it has
factory upgraded RAM, but I somehow doubt it.
Larry
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mrcdoc wrote:Finally, 1346$ for a plaque... All an event :)
Must be a Gold Plaque

$1400 The Troy Ounce Regards
Steve
IanO

Post by IanO »

I thought this would finally be a chance to get a de Koning engine in my collection for a reasonable price. Boy was I wrong!

Does anyone know if the Montreux has the same programmable logic part as the Risc 2500, the one which was only rated for 20 years?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
mrcdoc wrote: But, Larry, do you think it was really different of the regular Montreux?
Well it's on good advice that the NY Edition Montreux was an
ordinary Montreux adorned with a pretty metallic plaque to help
promote the New York 1995 world championship chess title match.
This being the case, it does not deserve a separate entry in
the Wikipedia Mephisto model list, IMO.
I'd have thought they would tune it perhaps with a higher clock
frequency for the occasion, but apparently not. Maybe it has
factory upgraded RAM, but I somehow doubt it.
Larry
Even if this particular "New York"Montreux were to turn out to have more ram or a higher clockspeed it is no guarantee it was actually released that way. the Montreux is one of those computers which has undergone alot of home modification over the years(another commonly home/modified computer is the Mephisto MMV Module)..specifically with Ram
any Montreux with more than 128kb ram has been modified from its originally released state
Mephisto never sold the Montreux with 516 or 2 MB RAM
hence someone with a 2MB Montreux might get the false impression that they were sold that way
like wise.. if we come across a "New York"Montreux with 512kb or 2 Mb ram we could come to the false conclusion that they were originally released that way
same is true for clock speed which could have been overclocked/tuned

what i would need to convince me that the "New York"Montreux's are indeed different.is some literature of the time..or some advertisement Or brochure by Saitek/Mephisto showing the specs of the so called "New York " Edition
even better..an instruction manual for a "New York " edition Montreux showing the specs
as i mentioned earlier..i do not believe there is a difference

XXX Hardcore Collecting Regards
Steve
mrcdoc

Post by mrcdoc »

Well, this is the eternal question in any kind of collection activity between respecting the envelop AND/OR respecting the original specifications of the internal function of the collected object (here the electronic hardware).
At 30 years of interval, the temptation is high to modify radically the hardware.
This is the error in my point of view: you must take the collected object as a whole defined by its original (external AND internal) specifications.
If you are still excited to know how the software reacts when you improve the hardware, you could do it, but this will not modify the way the software was performing in its original package: for the best and the worst, the software
should stay historically linked with its dedicated original computer. This is the role of a collector: to preserve the historical reality and Steve, I approve you completely for your work and your dedication.
Collector Point of View Salutations,
Maurice
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Really crazy price for non-complete plastic unit!!!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mrcdoc wrote:Well, this is the eternal question in any kind of collection activity between respecting the envelop AND/OR respecting the original specifications of the internal function of the collected object (here the electronic hardware).
At 30 years of interval, the temptation is high to modify radically the hardware.
This is the error in my point of view: you must take the collected object as a whole defined by its original (external AND internal) specifications.
If you are still excited to know how the software reacts when you improve the hardware, you could do it, but this will not modify the way the software was performing in its original package: for the best and the worst, the software
should stay historically linked with its dedicated original computer. This is the role of a collector: to preserve the historical reality and Steve, I approve you completely for your work and your dedication.
Collector Point of View Salutations,
Maurice
Thanks for the kind Words Dr.
that is exactly as i see it
to collect the dedicated chess computer.. as released ..is to preserve the state of the art at that moment in time
a dedicated computer is a snap shot of the technology and programing skill at that moment in history..frozen in time.similar to a work of art..

i realize many who have an interest in dedicated computers today have no interest in the past
they want to have the strongest computer available to play with a real board and pieces
this is certainly a perfectly Legitimate pursuit of the hobby
it is just a different pursuit then "collecting" is

It Was Long Ago.. And It Was Far Away.. And It Was So Much Better Than It Is Today Regards
Steve