3 reasons why RS 2250XL is Kaplan and NOT MORCSH

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
You cannot not even in modern engines tell a program that if you press button B play Tournament book and then pick these tournament book moves out of the Big Book.

Best regards,
this is the issue
this might be true but I don't know if it is true
I have asked a chess programmer who has programmed chess engines to opine on whether or not a chess programmer would reasonably program an engine to have 4-5 different books or one massive book which is then filtered when the book style is chosen by the owner
perhaps it would not be programmed that way ..perhaps it would and perhaps it could reasonably be programmed both ways

Fact Finding Regards
Steve
Yes, I agree that it is not impossible but now you would have set your book out in such a manner that you could program the rules efficiently and I do not think that any books are programmed to think in this manner. Instead if you tell your program to pick this and that and this etc etc now you will have a larger program that runs slower especially in the old days of 10 MHz so I am not sure that you would gain much by figuring all this out, Much simpler and faster and commercially viable is to just plug in 4 small books.'

Regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
You cannot not even in modern engines tell a program that if you press button B play Tournament book and then pick these tournament book moves out of the Big Book.

Best regards,
this is the issue
I have asked a chess programmer who has programmed chess engines to opine on whether or not a chess programmer would reasonably program an engine to have 4-5 different books or one massive book which is then filtered when the book style is chosen by the owner
perhaps it would not be programmed that way ..perhaps it would and perhaps it could reasonably be programmed both ways

Fact Finding Regards
Steve
Yes, I agree that it is not impossible but now you would have set your book out in such a manner that you could program the rules efficiently and I do not think that any books are programmed to think in this manner. Instead if you tell your program to pick this and that and this etc etc now you will have a larger program that runs slower especially in the old days of 10 MHz so I am not sure that you would gain much by figuring all this out, Much simpler and faster and commercially viable is to just plug in 4 small books.'

Regards
Actually as much as you do not like the CM's it does have it's usefulness in this case as well :) In the CM you have a big book. A tournament book can be added but it is a separate book. So even here the rule was always separate book.

Best regards,
Nick
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Best regards,
this is the issue

Fact Finding Regards
Steve

Regards
Actually as much as you do not like the CM's it does have it's usefulness in this case as well :) In the CM you have a big book. A tournament book can be added but it is a separate book. So even here the rule was always separate book.

Best regards,
Nick
CM's?
Not sure what this stands for?
Clueless Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Chessmachines :P
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:Chessmachines :P

Ahhh you mean those Tasc ChessMachine thingamabob's
im just too exhausted to dredge up that old debate

these bebates are fun and nothing compared to the furor caused when the First PC Engine Fruit clones appeared
i was moderating on another forum when that stuff hit the fan
this is child's play compared to that
:P

we should all just keep these discussions respectful and without personal attacks as Harvey mentioned earlier
not sure why anyone would take any of this stuff personally in the first place

PC Chess Cards Are Not Dedicated Chess Computers Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:

these bebates are fun and nothing compared to the furor caused when the First PC Engine Fruit clones appeared

we should all just keep these discussions respectful and without personal attacks as Harvey mentioned earlier

Steve
Arghhh! But you have to agree that the cards themselves are 100% dedicated to chess only :P

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Steve
Arghhh! But you have to agree that the cards themselves are 100% dedicated to chess only :P

Best regards
LOL
actually so am I dedicated to dedicated chess computers only

Steveb XL Regards
Steve
chessguru

Post by chessguru »

Just a few thoughts...

Saitek President and RS 2250XL

Play with the settings:

SEL off (-), random off (-), easy off (-) and book off (-).

- President AND RS 2250XL play identical games, same scores (!!!), same moves, same move time
- the library of the President is a little bit longer in a few cases, but the moves are identical

And now my question:

Who is the winner? Morsch or Kaplan?

Best regards,
Micha ;)
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:

Steve
Lol.. :P

New in English according to Steve: :P

Bebates are fun
Debates are exhausting

What are Abates and Cebates ?

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
[New in English according to Steve: :P

Bebates are fun
Debates are exhausting

What are Abates and Cebates ?

Best regards
Dang Spell Checker always fails me regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
Dang Spell Checker always fails me regards
Steve
You should be lucky, I when I get going I find I miss whole words when I type or double write them when I pause a second to think.

Spellcheckers don't catch missing words regards..
Nick
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

chessguru wrote:Just a few thoughts...

Play with the settings:

- President AND RS 2250XL play identical games, same scores (!!!), same moves, same move time
- the library of the President is a little bit longer in a few cases, but the moves are identical

And now my question:

Who is the winner? Morsch or Kaplan?

Best regards,
Micha ;)
These are NOT identical times.... Look at BT's 3,11,18, 30 ....Why are you saying identical times??? People can read.......The outdated BT 2450 Test is only used to rate Computers .......It is not a clone test...........
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Steve B wrote:
IvenGO wrote:RS2250's book came from GK2100's and that's for sure - even several opening lines (mostly minor) are shorter, so if it's a Kaplan's software inside why the hell the book is from Morsh's computer?! Kaplan's opening books themselves were always interesting and original, so what was the reason for such "replacement"?!
assuming you are replying to my post..
Firstly..there is no need to get overly emotional about this or about anything relating to the hobby
we all do this for relaxation and amusement
now..my question has nothing to do with the Kaplan/Morsch issue
it is only about the book size and where the number 6k comes from
I take it from your reply that this number comes from the book size of the GK2100 but with some smaller lines?
So the reduction is from 30k to 6k?

Always Quote A prior Post if replying to a prior post Regards
Steve
Hi Steve, no its not about your post, of course! Its about that RS2250 is clearly Morsch's and not Kaplan's software inside (maybe slightly modified by someone else)! Somebody :D still not wanna face the facts (really dont know why) that confirm this :!:
Reduction is from 30k(GK) to 20k(RS).
Last edited by IvenGO on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chessguru

Post by chessguru »

Wow, keep cool, Radio..., who are you? Name? I hate to discuss with Anonymous. It’s funny how people feel that they can say anything about anyone when they hide behind a pseudonym.
RadioSmall wrote:These are NOT identical times.... Look at BT's 3,11,18, 30 ....Why are you saying identical times??? People can read.......
You too?

Only for you, once again.
chessguru wrote:

Play with the settings:

RadioSmall wrote:The outdated BT 2450 Test is only used to rate Computers .......It is not a clone test...........
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

And now your facts. Only facts, not assumptions. Your three points are not facts.

Best regards,
Micha
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:
Steve B wrote:
IvenGO wrote:RS2250's book came from GK2100's and that's for sure - even several opening lines (mostly minor) are shorter, so if it's a Kaplan's software inside why the hell the book is from Morsh's computer?! Kaplan's opening books themselves were always interesting and original, so what was the reason for such "replacement"?!
assuming you are replying to my post..
Firstly..there is no need to get overly emotional about this or about anything relating to the hobby
we all do this for relaxation and amusement
now..my question has nothing to do with the Kaplan/Morsch issue
it is only about the book size and where the number 6k comes from
I take it from your reply that this number comes from the book size of the GK2100 but with some smaller lines?
So the reduction is from 30k to 6k?

Always Quote A prior Post if replying to a prior post Regards
Steve
Hi Steve, no its not about your post, of course! Its about that RS2250 is clearly Morsch's and not Kaplan's software inside (maybe slightly modified by someone else)! Reduction is from 30k(GK) to 20k(RS).
OK Thanks IG
we have a separate discussion going on about the size of the XL book
seems there are some who suggest that the book size is only 6k
and not 20k
Hopefully we will hear back from someone I asked about this who actually programs chess engines for a living

Anticipatory Regards
Steve