3 reasons why RS 2250XL is Kaplan and NOT MORCSH

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:I would imagine there is essentially one book but within it it has moves assigned to various book styles. Some moves may be exclusive to a book style while others may occur in different styles.

That seems the most likely implementation to me.

Hi Mark,
Sorry one question I should have asked. Did Hiarcs Master 1.0 use this approach? I am asking as this would fit the timeline.

ps. Also is it possible or likely in 1992 write the chess program and the programming of other features and to separate the books within the program all within 12K?

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see
:P
actually the RS2250 xl was released in 1997
unless of course we are making the assumption that it is an exact clone of something else released in 1992

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:I would imagine there is essentially one book but within it it has moves assigned to various book styles. Some moves may be exclusive to a book style while others may occur in different styles.

Hi Mark,
Sorry one question I should have asked. Did Hiarcs Master 1.0 use this approach? I am asking as this would fit the timeline.

ps. Also is it possible or likely in 1992 write the chess program and the programming of other features and to separate the books within the program all within 12K?

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see
unless of course we are making the assumption that it is an exact clone of something else released in 1992

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve
No I agree it is possible but there are detail gaps that need to be filled. I hate to leave something open with questions. You know that Morsch left before 1997 and that the opening book is a book used by older Morsch computers. If GK2100 was 30,000 moves as is now stated in Wiki, I would still have questions on GK2100 as well. How many moves equals 1K ? Because if 30,000 moves equals 30K where is the program inside a 32K ROM. So 30,000 moves has to be less than 30K right? This would actually strengthen the RS2250 case of 20,000 book moves. I am not trying to dispute I am trying to get clarity once and for all.

BTW. I am also tempted to email Ed Schroeder who I had recently a lot of communication when Gideon was auctioned and ask him if he can recall how things went. He should now since he was with Mephisto at the same time as Morsch regarding what they did when multiple books were offered in a computer.

Best regards,
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve
No I agree it is possible but there are detail gaps that need to be filled. I hate to leave something open with questions. You know that Morsch left before 1997 and that the opening book is a book used by older Morsch computers. If GK2100 was 30,000 moves as is now stated in Wiki, I would still have questions on GK2100 as well. How many moves equals 1K ? Because if 30,000 moves equals 30K where is the program inside a 32K ROM. So 30,000 moves has to be less than 30K right? This would actually strengthen the RS2250 case. I am not trying to dispute I am trying to get clarity once and for all.

BTW. I am also tempted to email Ed Schroeder who I had recently a lot of communication when Gideon was auctioned and ask him if he can recall how things went. He should now since he was with Mephisto at the same time as Morsch regarding what they did when multiple books were offered in a computer.

Best regards,
Speaking of Gideon
hows my chances of finding that R30 Gideon?
im guessing at this point i have 2 chances..
Slim And None
And Slim just left Town Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve
No I agree it is possible but there are detail gaps that need to be filled. I hate to leave something open with questions. You know that Morsch left before 1997 and that the opening book is a book used by older Morsch computers. If GK2100 was 30,000 moves as is now stated in Wiki, I would still have questions on GK2100 as well. How many moves equals 1K ? Because if 30,000 moves equals 30K where is the program inside a 32K ROM. So 30,000 moves has to be less than 30K right? This would actually strengthen the RS2250 case. I am not trying to dispute I am trying to get clarity once and for all.

Best regards,
Speaking of Gideon
Slim And None
Steve
You mentioned you have the old board right? Let me contact someone who I think might sell and will let you know. But if he is interested in selling then you will have to go for the new board SB30 or SB20 not sure which board he has and the R30.

That's the best option I know of. I will PM if I hear back ok?

Regards
Nick
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve

Best regards,
Speaking of Gideon
Slim And None
Steve
You mentioned you have the old board right? Let me contact someone who I think might sell and will let you know. But if he is interested in selling then you will have to go for the new board SB30 or SB20 not sure which board he has and the R30.

Regards
Nick
Not sure of the question
i have an SB30 board that will work with Gideon as it works with the R30 2.2
if you mean i will need to also buy another board thats perfectly fine with me
in fact you can have that board as my way of thanking you
the seller could ship the board to you directly
and i would pay the shipping to you of course

Thanks Very Much Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks and best regards,
Not done yet i see

Here We Go Again Regards
Steve

Best regards,
Speaking of Gideon
Slim And None
Steve

Regards
Nick
Not sure of the question
i have an SB30 board that will work with Gideon as it works with the R30 2.2
if you mean i will need to also buy another board thats perfectly fine with me
in fact you can have that board as my way of thanking you
the seller could ship the board to you directly
and i would pay the shipping to you of course

Thanks Very Much Regards
Steve
Yes I was just explaining that if the person sold he would probably want to sell it with the board.

I am fine I would not need anything, but thanks for the offer. Let me find out first if a sale is possible. I am in Florida on vacation so I may not be able to find out until next week.

Regards
Nick
Nick
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Two earlier statements worth remembering:

IvenGO -
There's an education function in RS2250 that allows to start a game from manually selected opening line but I would like to say that computer itself recognizes and plays more than described in its manual.
Steve -
The 2250XL might have also been programmed by Craig Barnes in conjunction with Kaplan whose engines appeared in many Radio Shack/Tandy computers
More and more, I think Barnes is the x-factor that accounts for slight differences in 2250XL.

There's more on this, but the business about the "education function" is the part that caught my eye. The feature set of test positions/test games is a consistent Morsch/Mephisto element. You find it in the Challenger and Explorer Pro, among others - and it's taken to an extreme with the Schachakademie, which I find myself beginning to covet.

That points to Barnes, who rather explicitly described his contributions to the Schachakademie and other Mephisto/Radio Shack models. And as far as I know (please correct me, anyone), the 2250XL is the only Radio Shack model with test suites...

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Reinfeld wrote:Two earlier statements worth remembering:

IvenGO -
There's an education function in RS2250 that allows to start a game from manually selected opening line but I would like to say that computer itself recognizes and plays more than described in its manual.
Steve -
The 2250XL might have also been programmed by Craig Barnes in conjunction with Kaplan whose engines appeared in many Radio Shack/Tandy computers
More and more, I think Barnes is the x-factor that accounts for slight differences in 2250XL.

There's more on this, but the business about the "education function" is the part that caught my eye. The feature set of test positions/test games is a consistent Morsch/Mephisto element. You find it in the Challenger and Explorer Pro, among others - and it's taken to an extreme with the Schachakademie, which I find myself beginning to covet.

That points to Barnes, who rather explicitly described his contributions to the Schachakademie and other Mephisto/Radio Shack models. And as far as I know (please correct me, anyone), the 2250XL is the only Radio Shack model with test suites...

- R.
You might be right in that Barnes created the Tests, if you look at Mephisto Schachschule Franz Morsch is listed, for Schachschule II Craig Barnes is listed. Schachschule II is listed at 1500 ELO. I doubt however that any experienced chess programmer would leave RS2250XL incomplete. So Barnes mailed the Chinese his tests and they integrated it to the Morsch Program and messed up (If you assume Barnes). Just like when the Chinese took over with Cosmos and the H=bug and fun - level bug started taking place.

You have to separate the creation of bells and whistles from the chess program author. I mean we are all playing and testing the actual game and not the Ooohs and Aaaahs, Wooh Hooos and Whistle aaaaaaaablowing. Think of the Chessmaster 9000 example I posted earlier.

The bells and whistles do not make the program if anything the bells and whistles have resulted in faulty programs when integrated at Saitek, so I prefer to blame the Chinese rather than an acclaimed programmer like Barnes for those differences and mistakes.

ps... regarding Talking Chess Academy that I do have (the silver one). This one if I recall also has the H-level bug. What story does this tell?

Best regards,
Nick