Citrine Bug - Considers illegal move

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

Citrine Bug - Considers illegal move

Post by Queegmeister »

I just discovered a bug in the citrine - I tried resetting (reset button) and the same problem came up. Newly purchased this year.

I am listing a position where Novag Citrine was playing black and I noticed it was considering first that I would move my rook to h8 and it would become a queen (noted by the symbol on the LCD)
Then , Much to my chagrin, the Citrine thought it could make an illegal move after the sequence of Kg6 Rh8 ...... Kf6 - which is an ILLEGAL move. Will you test your citrine and see if this happens - ?
You will have to watch the LCD until this sequence comes up which takes a couple minutes.

The Computer does not actually MAKE the illegal move but just pondering an illegal move is quite disturbing considering the cost of this machine.

You must set the position and use any longer time level to observe the thinking until you see what I am talking about. I suggest analysis level e2.

On a separate note : (The citrine also ignored my referee setting and made moves without my request.)

I consider the ILLEGAL move thought to be of MUCH greater importance.

Please let me know what you find and what can be done since there is obviously a bug.

The position I include is where the error occurred and it's BLACK to move.
I don't know how to insert an image so here is the list of the pieces location.

WHITE Kc1 , Qe5 , Rh7 , Pawns on a2,b2,c2,c3,f4,g7
Black Kf7 , Rg8 , Ra8 , Bc5 , Bd7 , Pawns on a5,b6,c6,d5,e6

The citrine also blew the game and moved Kg6 and after Rh8 then Rxh8 was disastrous. A draw could be had by Ke7 etc.. I think.

Queegmeister :shock: :(
Queegmeister

My Theory on what happened

Post by Queegmeister »

Hi

My best guess is that it calculated Kg6 Qh5 and DISPLAYED Rh8 instead of Qh5 since the Q symbol was highlighted on the Rh8 move. That would be a plausible explanation for the apparently Illegal "thought" of Kf6.

What do you think ?

Queegmeister