radio shack 2200x adapter

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

radio shack 2200x adapter

Post by Queegmeister »

Hi,

I am not very well versed in technical electronics but I believe in you guys to know the answer to my query.

I have a radio shack adapter that gives 9v and 500 mA (and I have adjusted for the correct polarity )

Can I safely use it on this RS 2200x model ? The instructions say that the adapter needed should have 9v (fine of course) and 100 mA minimum so it seems to qualify but ...

Instead of just going ahead and risking the machine , I humbly ask your assistance and opinion.

Incidentally, RS 800 number - Help does not have anyone that could answer my question :lol: isn't that like calling Dell and having no one able to answer a technical question about one of their units ?!?!! SHEESH !!

Thanks
Mike :)
Larry

Re: radio shack 2200x adapter

Post by Larry »

Queegmeister wrote:
I have a radio shack adapter that gives 9v and 500 mA (and I have adjusted for the correct polarity )

Can I safely use it on this RS 2200x model ? The instructions say that the adapter needed should have 9v (fine of course) and 100 mA minimum so it seems to qualify but ...

Instead of just going ahead and risking the machine , I humbly ask your assistance and opinion.
I don't own this machine, but I do have big brother RS2250, and it
takes 9volt DC with a negative tip. I'm assuming RS uses negative
tips right across the range.
As long as the voltage and polarity are correct, you can go over with
the current, but not under. Is the adaptor regulated?... if not, then you
can't depend on the voltage reading. I make it a point of using a
voltmeter on all my adaptors. I trust values written on an adaptor as
much as I trust an islamic terrorist with an English accent wielding
a meat cleaver.
My advice?... get a multimeter from your local electronics store. It
will put your mind to rest. I stop short of saying "plug it into your
computer and try it".
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: radio shack 2200x adapter

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
Queegmeister wrote:

I don't own this machine, but I do have big brother RS2250, and it
takes 9volt DC with a negative tip. I'm assuming RS uses negative
tips right across the range.
As long as the voltage and polarity are correct, you can go over with
the current, but not under.
Just used a 9 Volt 1000Ma universal adptor with the RS 2200X
Worked like a Charm Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

Thanks fellows

Post by Queegmeister »

The adapter is an RS adapter cat no 273-1651c which I will google or try to get my friend to test it to see if it puts out a steady 9 volts. It does not have 100 - 240v in listed nor does it say regulated on it. I have another adapter (unfortunately positive polarity) that says 100 - 240v in and 9v out which I believe is a good indication it is a regulated power supply.

Thanks again - you guys are great ! :)

Mike
Queegmeister

surge protector ??

Post by Queegmeister »

If I plug an unregulated PS into a surge protector shouldn't that keep the voltage steady ?

I'm still going to test it but just for the sake of argument

what do you think ?

Mike
SirDave

Re: surge protector ??

Post by SirDave »

Queegmeister wrote:If I plug an unregulated PS into a surge protector shouldn't that keep the voltage steady ?

I'm still going to test it but just for the sake of argument

what do you think ?

Mike
No, surge protectors protect against sudden major current surges; they don't regulate current and/or keep it steady.

Also, regarding both your opening post and your question about whether anything can be done about a possible Citrine bug: Computer chess boards are increasingly becoming relics insofar as the companies that used to create or sell them are either not in business anymore or are no longer the companies they once were.

The Radio Shack that sold chess boards for several years is not the Radio Shack of today and does not pretend to even remotely support those products other than what's left of some limited information on the internet.