Tuning Igor Excalibur

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

Tuning Igor Excalibur

Post by Queegmeister »

Hi,

I would like to know which brand (spec) processor to buy to raise the Excalibur Igor from 10 mhz to 20 mhz * I realize there is a 24 mhz but I think this should suffice and be safer for the machine.

Does anyone here have an extra 20 mhz laying around ? I'm sure it must be on ebay anyways.

I would like some instructions on how to tune because I don't know exactly how to do it. I know to watch out for esd and I will have to remove the old and solder in the new processor. But maybe there are more specifics I need to know.

Can you help ? And I am not that worried if I fry the computer because I have multiples of this model obtained cheaply. It is an experiment.

I also will hold all who help me BLAMELESS should I screw it up. I have built desktops from scratch but this is another bird so the query stands.

Thanks
Mike
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

I opened the Igor - looks like a 12 Mhz so i will be needing a 24 mhz to double it.

Mike
Queegmeister

Will this one work

Post by Queegmeister »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-49s-24-00 ... 43ad1d617d

HC-49S 24Mhz Crystal Oscillator Crystal Resonator

will these do the job ?

there is also a HC49U ??

Thanks
Larry

Re: Will this one work

Post by Larry »

Queegmeister wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-49s-24-00 ... 43ad1d617d

HC-49S 24Mhz Crystal Oscillator Crystal Resonator

will these do the job ?

there is also a HC49U ??

Thanks
I can only tell you that I've heard you can safely overclock this machine
by 100%, ie, from 12mhz to 24mhz. I don't know if that messes up the
timer settings, the most annoying biproduct of overclocking.
The "processor" you refer to is not a processor, but just an oscillator.
They are dirt cheap. Just a bit of solder and a soldering iron, plus a bit
of time and common sense and you are in business. Let us know about
any performance improvement after the operation, will you?
all the best,
Larry
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

Thanks

Yes I misspoke , I did list a couple oscillators but did not know if it matters which one I use.

I will report all results :)

I think someone ( maybe you ) mentioned there is a way to keep the chess clock from going bananas.

Mike
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Mike

I think you might be best joining the Schachcomputer.info Community forum that regularly talk about this type of modification.

http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/index.php

Bryan
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

I am already a member of that site and have posted the query -

Also, I have found a German fellow that is likely to coach me (from ebay)- I hope he follows through.

However I had not posted that query until today - Hopefully someone will come forward. I will likely tune a few more , if I can get good advice and make it work correctly.

Mike

:)
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Mike

You might also join this excellent this excellent Spanish forum.
Their members like to also like to modify their chess computers.
http://foro.meca-web.es/

Bryan
Queegmeister

Thanks

Post by Queegmeister »

I just applied to the site -

I saw where someone has created a connector to make the Novag Citrine work as a DGT. He has demonstrated that it works - of course , I have no idea how to build it.

But you can see the whole unit on the site.

Check it out - very interesting to play fritz on that Citrine.

http://foro.meca-web.es/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=198

Mike
Queegmeister

IGOR is on STEROIDS !!

Post by Queegmeister »

After burning myself (twice) and nearly losing an eye ... :oops:

I have converted the Excalibur Igor to 24 MHZ and let me tell you how our match went today..... Annihilation Jim.. Total absolute annihilation !! I know I can play better but SHEESH !!! Igor has a voice like Alvin Chipmunk and the clock goes twice normal but Igor ..... :shock: I can't take him lightly now - he plays much better - still might be hard to take him seriously with that voice LOL !!

well for some folks annihilation would be getting beaten fast but for me it's just that I did not convert any position into a draw or win (but usually would ) while down a gambit pawn and then losing another pawn sealed it.

Found out that to correct for the clock etc.. I'd at least have to build a "divide by two" circuit to tame the frequency.

I am pleased that I have a better opponent to play ! Igor goes BUCK WILD on 24 mhz !!

forgot to mention the slew of obscenities uttered while soldering..that thing gets really hot, DUH ! I was just informed that my Girlfriend told her Mom that I now have Tourette Syndrome !! hahahahaha

The experiments will continue. As long as I don't lose my eyesight or...

(I will sit down and play it some more serious matches and post the game scores for you ) Igor vs Igor perhaps ?

Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: IGOR is on STEROIDS !!

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:
I have converted the Excalibur Igor to 24 MHZ and let me tell you how our match went today..... Annihilation Jim.. Total absolute annihilation !! I know I can play better but SHEESH !!! Igor has a voice like Alvin Chipmunk

there ought to be a law against this sort of thing

Anyway ..its seems after this modification a better name for this butchered and altered computer would be

Frankenstein Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

Frankentein

Post by Queegmeister »

That's Fronkensteen !! (phonetically)
It's alive !! IT"S ALIVE !!

Gene Wilder does it best -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmVhyHBRAM

Hilarious
Monsieur Plastique

Re: IGOR is on STEROIDS !!

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Queegmeister wrote:Igor has a voice like Alvin Chipmunk and the clock goes twice normal but Igor ..... :shock: I can't take him lightly now - he plays much better - still might be hard to take him seriously with that voice LOL !!
I find this to be extremely amusing. If you have some way of making a video with sound I would be very interested to hear what it sounds like.

This (almost but not quite) makes me want to sacrifice one of my Excalibur Alexandra the Great machines so I can hear the effect of the doubling of the clock speed on the female voice.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.