the "H8" bug

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

the "H8" bug

Post by Queegmeister »

Hi,

Is there a complete list of all the computers effected by this as I have recently discovered (to my great dismay ) that the Mephisto Chess Challenger (with the "new" Bronstein timer option ) Blundered horribly - even dropping a Queen in the opening on C4 as well as the H8 problem. UGH !!

I did not notice the bug in the RS 2200x as I set up a test position and he found the mate instead of blundering the Queen.

I have searched the web and found differing lists - I do not want to buy another computer with this BUG - :shock:

thanks
Mike
Larry

Re: the "H8" bug

Post by Larry »

Queegmeister wrote:

I do not want to buy another computer with this BUG - :shock:
Then don't buy a Cosmos. I read earlier that the bug is only in the
later versions of the GK2100. Of the Mephisto 'clamshells', I noticed
my TC2100, which is an early model, does not have the bug, but my
Cosmos does. Another bug in the Cosmos is that the only way out of
the 'fun' mode is to press the 'reset' button on the machine.
Never been a programmer myself, but I imagine it's a frustrating business.
L
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is a list of the ones I know have the bug:

Saitek Cosmos
Saitek Expert Travel
Saitek Centurion
Saitek Cougar
Saitek Challenger
Saitek Talking Chess Academy

And in addition I have not checked this one, but the Saitek Explorer Pro probably has it as well since it is the same as the Cougar.

I am not aware of the GK2100 having this bug (mine does not) and the Travel Champion which is the GK2100 travel version also does definately not have it. The Mephisto Module MM6 and Saitek President also do not seem to have this bug.

If you already have one of the listed above then there probably is no point in buying a another of the above because these are all pretty much clones of each other.

Best regards,
Nick