Novag Quartz?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Novag Quartz?

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Well I see Niggemann listed it at around 1880 Elo which was Novag's Estimate
a quick rule of thumb I find useful is to subtract about 150 Elo from any manufacturers' claims...
but I really cant say exactly

Iffy Regards
Steve
Well it is worth a game with it then. Novag in recent years have been very iffy with their rating claims.
Just checked the Quartz box
Estimated 1880 Elo claimed
same exact rating they claim for the Carnelian I

Clones?

:shock: Regards :shock:
Steve
spacious_mind

Re: Novag Quartz?

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Well I see Niggemann listed it at around 1880 Elo which was Novag's Estimate
a quick rule of thumb I find useful is to subtract about 150 Elo from any manufacturers' claims...
but I really cant say exactly

Iffy Regards
Steve
Well it is worth a game with it then. Novag in recent years have been very iffy with their rating claims.
Just checked the Quartz box
Estimated 1880 Elo claimed
same exact rating they claim for the Carnelian I

Clones?

:shock: Regards :shock:
Steve
Probably! :shock:
Nick
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Yes, the Novag Quartz was nothing more than the Carnelian and Opal Plus program contained in the Emerald Classic Plus / Obsidian style of housing.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Incidentally, specifically to Larry, Peter Parr sold the Quartz when they were a current model. They did have a nice ergonomic "feel" to them I suppose but the quality of housing plastique was not to the same standard as the Obsidian, let alone that of the Emerald Classic Plus (which had by far the highest quality plastique finish of the lot - the same quality as used in the much earlier Forte / Forte B models). Novag chose to use their cheapest plastique in the Quartz, which was the similar to that used for the Turquoise, Agate and Agate Plus machines.

But these days if I am going to have a table top model taking up all that space, I want decent playing strength to go with it. The earlier Carnelian / Opal Plus and thus Quartz) models made more inexplicable errors than the later Carnelian II / Star Opal program, but when it comes down to it, for these little 16K Novags, the only one I can recommend these days is the Star Opal (principally because it takes up very little space and is the only model that a complete electronics / soldering novice can easily tune to 24 Mhz without effecting clock displays, etc). You can't do this on the Carnelian, Carnelian II or Quartz models because of the way the circuit boards are laid out (well you could but you need very high end expert soldering skills and hands as steady as those of a brain surgeon).
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.