IGOR 24 MHZ for sale one bid so far

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

IGOR 24 MHZ for sale one bid so far

Post by Queegmeister »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300925892477?ss ... 1555.l2649

99 bucks starting . hmmm the strongest Excalibur probably. Is it worth it ?

8)
Queeg
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: IGOR 24 MHZ for sale one bid so far

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/300925892477?ss ... 1555.l2649

8)
Queeg
Overclocked=Modified
worthless as far as i am concerned

now here is a REAL IGOR at 1/4 the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-IGOR- ... 0858940236

BTW..Excalibur sold the Karpov 2294 which is rated about 100 Elo more then Igor..but The Karpov is really just a rebadge of a Novag computer

Everything is on Steroids These Days
Steve
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

Yeah - but the 24 mhz version beats it flat. It's a beast. Probly Expert - why would an expert strength be worthless ? I disagree it's in some of the official tests and mine was fun until.......

my modified Igor died cuz I hooked up the wrong adapter and burned it out - looks like he read my other post too. Used part of it in the description - I spose I don't care. Small world "Igor has a voice like Alvin Chipmunk"

He must be a member of the forum - I also see he's got the item in Rochester - do you know anyone on the forum from Rochester ?

:cry:

Looks like I was wrong - 90 dollar bid

Thanks
Queeg
Last edited by Queegmeister on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:Yeah - but the 24 mhz version beats it flat. It's a beast. Probly Expert - why would an expert strength be worthless ? I disagree it's in some of the official tests and mine was fun until.......

my modified Igor died cuz I hooked up the wrong adapter and burned it out - looks like he read my other post too. Used part of it in the description - I spose I don't care. Small world "Igor has a voice like Alvin Chipmunk"

He must be a member of the forum - I also see he's got the item in Rochester - do you know anyone on the forum from Rochester ?

:cry:

Looks like I was wrong - 90 dollar bid

Thanks
Queeg
Worthless.. strictly from a collecting standpoint
could care less about its Strength
i have several chess computers and they are all in their original "released for sale" state
they range in Elo from 1000-2700

Dosent surprise me the seller Read this forum
its got a fairly large audience

Chess Computer Channel Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

8)
Queeg
The bidder probably imagines a factory overclocked machine where
the timer settings are true. In fact it's just an ordinary Igor with a
$2 crystal oscillator soldered into place. A 20 minute job.
Best take the buy-it-now Igor.
I personally don't like those Excaliburs with their silly voices and
other childish sounds like horses hooves and clashing swords.
L
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

Larry wrote:

8)
Queeg
The bidder probably imagines a factory overclocked machine where
the timer settings are true. In fact it's just an ordinary Igor with a
$2 crystal oscillator soldered into place. A 20 minute job.
Best take the buy-it-now Igor.
I personally don't like those Excaliburs with their silly voices and
other childish sounds like horses hooves and clashing swords.
L
Yeah I agree the voice can be annoying - but it took me a trip to the hardware store to buy a soldering iron, solder and ordering the crystal - because I am not an expert at soldering it took me 2 hours because it is very difficult to get the oscillator connections to stay lined up while you solder (my hands shake a little because of old age and my eyesight is failing ) so it was not so simple and easy as you make it sound. Perhaps it would be worth it for someone to pay another person to do all that for them after all - just to compare - tech support (and thats just talking) can cost you a great deal - far more than the increase of the price in the IGOR. it all depends on your point of view.
Some of you fellows don't like modified machines and I APPRECIATE that you are PURISTS but maybe someone else would like a souped up machine just like there are people who like only stock vintage cars - but OTHERS who LIKE custom hot rods. just saying that someone could feel differently about it.

I feel bad that I got my adapters mixed up (due to poor eyesight) and ruined mine so for me it is an attractive machine - I may bid , I may not.

Personally I find it intriguing that I might see it beat a higher rated computer in modified condition.

(and by the way that MINT Igor is NOT mint - the seller has confessed to the underside being damaged and also missing a foot. Claimed he never checked until I asked. I hope He is honest enough to post the changes and take the Near Mint claim down - since it is not even close)

Thanks For your comments though - I value your opinions GREATLY - and really appreciate being a member of your website. :D

THE Queegmeister
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:
Some of you fellows don't like modified machines and I APPRECIATE that you are PURISTS but maybe someone else would like a souped up machine just like there are people who like only stock vintage cars - but OTHERS who LIKE custom hot rods. just saying that someone could feel differently about it.

Thanks For your comments though - I value your opinions GREATLY - and really appreciate being a member of your website. :D

THE Queegmeister
Well Said
there certainly is an interest in overclocking/tuning chess computers these days and i of course understand that
Good having you with us

Best Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

The issue as I see it with overclocking computers is not only that the hardware cope with it, but that it it almost always mucks up the clock displays. Personally I will not overclock any computer with a timer display. I did do this once with a cheap Mephisto Maestro (the last model with the stylus entry) but the resultant inaccurate clock display became far more of an annoyance than any improvement in playing strength so I soldered the original oscillator back in.

It is a pity on the other hand that machines on the market over the last 15 years in particular are usually easily overclocked without any other side-effects apart from the battery consumption.

If the manufacturers had the concerns over playing strength that they had in the 80s to early 90s, perhaps more of these machines would have been brough to market with significantly higher playing strength and the programs made to work correctly at the higher speeds with the display intact and providing accurate information.

Incidentally, it should not be necessary to hold the oscillator by hand when soldering - it can be positioned and held in place by numerous methods leaving both hands free to solder correctly. If there is no other way I will use either weak masking tape or blu-tak to hold a component when soldering, but for the most part, they are a through-hole mounting which in itself will hold them in place without much assistance.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.