Queegmeister's Career, Discussion & Tomfoolery

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

Queegmeister's Career, Discussion & Tomfoolery

Post by Queegmeister »

Hello friends,

This thread will sweep present and future discussion, games, compliments, insults and even an occasional snide remark about and from me into one thread -

"Mike" was one of my mentors as in "Mikhail" - it is in honor of him that I use the name. He was my chess teacher. He has departed this world hopefully for a better one. I will always remember his presence - we became close friends , I will always miss him. Perhaps he is now playing chess with God .. and winning ! He probably would not have cared if he were playing the Devil as long as he could keep playing chess for eternity !

Now I must confess to playing tournaments in CCCP as a much younger man and boy. So I can tell you , for sure that there was a conspiracy to keep Bobby from winning at all cost.

Queeg
Last edited by Queegmeister on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote::) :) :) :)

Thanks for asking - I retired from tournament play in 2002 due to failing eyesight and lack of sufficient energy.

Groucho Marx said " getting old can happen to anybody ... you just have live LONG enough !! "

Yes the Sapphire 2 was a gift of my dear late mother back in my late tournament days.

I MET BOBBY FISCHER ( BEFORE he was world champion ) - he stayed at my friends house when he was in town - Bobby was not what you would call , " the sociable type " - But it was fantastic just to meet the GREAT ONE who toppled the RUSSIANS - who did cheat against him in many tournaments - throwing games to the Russian who was in the lead and playing like hell against Bobby.. Thank God for Pal Benko or Fischer may never have won the World Championship. ( maybe you know he gave his spot in the interzonal tournament up so Fischer could play !! I have Pal's autograph (who was kind enough to analyze with me on a couple of occasions ) and many other deceased and living GM's ) Alas , no autograph from Bobby though he did teach me a lesson or two for free !! What a great thing to have as a memory. I have a picture of Bobby and myself taking the lessons from him !!

I played and finished fairly well in the World Open (3 times ) and a great finish in one of my (5) US Open appearances - I won the second place Master Prize MANY years ago !! I also gave simultaneous exhibitions and once played 3 masters (all on clock at once with different time controls making 2 wins and one draw - all rated games !! One of them was pretty PO'd that he got beat and complained to the TD that I should not be able to do that (LOL) - which I LOVED to hear ! One game was for a Swiss , the other a match game, and I threw in one more rated game for good measure !! THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND !!

My final rating was lower than my peak as that happens to everyone who plays past 50 years old. My peak rating , I think was 2355 but I ended with about 2240. So I could not recapture the strength of my youth - it was better to quit than to fade away. I think if I played now , I may have trouble maintaining 2200 which would be too much for my ego to bear.

" Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas ..

..... how he got in my pajamas, I'll never know !! " (another Groucho )

Ahh - humor has changed too but us old guys still remember and laugh ...

Other stories later... many stories.. I weep a little now and then remembering the glory days. My late father told me to "never get old " , I guess I disobeyed him yet again.

Queegmeister
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:As a matter of fact , I have played in Argentina, Canada (if that counts LOL), Germany , Switzerland, all over the USA and more. Great Time at the World Senior Tournament (as a second). I will post all the GM's autographs I obtained after I scan the post card they are on.

And I have served as a second and trainer to many a player.
I have travelled the world helping rich people's kids in tournaments just like in the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer " - trained some pretty talented players who greatly surpassed my achievements, my best student made the US Olympiad team.

Many great young players have given up Chess to pursue the lucrative Texas Hold 'em circuit and many have won quite a lot of cash. It seams chess players can make good poker players. I have also played in many Poker events , winning a little cash myself from time to time but not lately - the eyesight , the eyesight.

In the old days we used to play a long game in 2 sessions or more , sealing moves in envelopes while going back to our rooms to analyze with our seconds (helpers) This happened in BIG tournaments - the old style would not work out well now as you know - the computer would just tell us the answers. Damn silicon beasts !!

I have a game in PGN and would suggest you might use it in your evaluations - if you can work it in. Fritz could not even understand it until the position cleared itself - however, the participants were not GM's but I think I came as close as ever to playing like one. If you use fritz to assign point values , it won't be correct though. Perhaps I overrate the game , you fellows can judge it. I hope the analysis comes through. Maybe my opponent didn't play strong enough - who knows. It's WILD like PUPOLS said I played.

Queeg
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:VERY NICE GAME and I like f5 TOO !! The heck with Fritz !!

The greatest game I lost was vs the late Aleks Wojkiewicz - who was #2 in the country when I played him - boy it was close and lasted 5 hours.

I will look in my archives - I have had many games printed and some in Chess Life and other publications - I had two back to back wins against a particular Senior master from Russia and I won one of them in 24 moves - down 2 pieces, flag hanging, and mate was coming soon so he gave up !! ( the other I won with a fantastic smothered mate )

However, if I post this Semi-famous game - you will likely know who I am :wink: - So I will post what I consider an "evergreen" game I played against a prodigy - it was an incredibly brilliant game - I'm sure Fritz will find holes - the tactics were EXTREMELY sharp !! Looking at it now, I marvel at how strongly I played then and try to understand what I was thinking - it was almost supernatural.

I also had a 500 dollar match against a VERY FAMOUS master which I won 5.5 to 2.5 - these games were not printed (I submitted them to a few publishers but was turned down as I guess they did not want a chess ICON to look bad getting trounced that way) although some are very high quality - I will share some of them later.

The first game I will share is a gambit of course. Wide open - and I believe - out of book very early and likely a little unsound but great nonetheless. If you want me to stick to one only I will.

I will search and get back to you - all my rated games are in a box - saved almost all of them.

I will share my final round game from that US OPEN where I sacrificed a rook for a number of pawns to finish well in the money for the master section 2nd place by 1/2 point - OOO so close. That one will come later.
Also I have a first round game from a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP where I sacked my Queen in the middle game to obtain an unstoppable passed pawn.

I will give you more than 1 treat - for sure. Then you can judge for yourself.

I think we should start a new topic after this because this is not what this thread is about - I will share the one game first and then we can make a new thread.

Queeg :)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:Hi gang

This one will satisfy your blood thirst for a sacrificial melee - l played this game in 1977 vs a Russian IM rated 2475

Dig this 40/2 20/1 g/1

White Queeg 2325 Black Ruskie IM 2475

Opening Trompowski - a gambit line with a myriad of sacrifices

1. d4 Nf6
2. Bg5 Ne4
3. Bf4 d5
4. f3 Nf6
5. e4 de
6. Nc3 Nd5
7. Nxd5 Qxd5
8. c4 Qa5+
9. Bd2 Qf5
10. f4 ! e6
11. Qb3 Nc6
12. Ne2 Be7
13. O-O-O g5 ?
14. d5 ed
15. cd Nd8
16. Ng3 Qg6
17. Nxe4 !! :shock: Qxe4
18. Re1 Qf5
19. Bb5+ ! c6

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS ??

20. Rxe7+!! :shock: Kxe7
21. Bb4+ Ke8
22. Re1+ Ne6 forced
23. Qc3 Qxf4+
24. Kb1 Rg8
25. dxc6 Qf5+
26. Bd3 Qd5
27. Be4 Qb5
28. a4 ! Qb6
29. Ba5 Qf2 - is there no refuge ?
30. cb Bxb7
31. Bxb7 Rb8
32. Bb4 Qxe1+ out of her misery
33. Qxe1 Rxb7
34. Qe4 ! Rd7
35. Qxh7 Rf8
36. Bxf8 RESIGNS !! best move

Firstly I think f4 confused my quarry ........
Kudos if you would have played 17. Nxe4 with the idea of attacking on the e-file and sacking the rook ! My opponent looked shocked after 17.Nxe4 and then the rook sac - his face was ashen - :)

perhaps Black just simply wasted too much time taking all my pieces , especially the numerous Queen moves but when I played 10. f4 my Idea was just that - to chase the Queen to and fro and dance her right out of the game. I always had to keep calculating where she would go and how I would respond - wasn't easy. I believe that the insipid 13...g5 doomed Black. After which, I never relinquished the initiative. I knew my opponent well an that he loved to stay aggressive and accept sacrifices as he had strong defensive ability. Yes he had an off day but I had an ON day !! It was amazing to leave so many pieces hanging too !! I could have easily slipped up and lost at any time - when you attack this way - in for a penny - in for a pound !! And you better find every continuation because once the attack slackens - that's it - you lose.

Better games await but that's what I found tonight.

Queeg
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:Well

Good to hear ol' Viktors is alive and well - still playing !? Last time I talked to him he figured he'd retire in ten years (1998 I believe) because he felt he only had 10 years of good chess left in him. So much for 10 years - it's been 15 and counting. He's at his floor - hmmm - would have been there too if I had not quit.

The world is small and the master chess world is very tiny compared to that - you are closing in on me. I may have to resign soon. But probably won't -

I remember some fellows advising me to resign to an expert (during a rated game :x ) , they said you are down a knight and I replied , "Yes, that is true, I AM down a knight... but I still have ME !!" LOL - I held on and drew the game against a very experienced player.

Crow was being served soon after the game much to the Kibitzers chagrin. ( old saying "eating crow" ) Of course, no credit was given only silence afterwards. It was always that way. I suppose silencing the vultures is reward enough.

Always motivated me when someone implied I was not capable of doing something.

Queeg
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Queegmeister's Career, Discussion & Tomfoolery

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:Hello friends,

This thread will sweep present and future discussion, games, compliments, insults and even an occasional snide remark about and from me into one thread -

"Mike" was one of my mentors as in "Mikhail" - it is in honor of him that I use the name. He was my chess teacher. He has departed this world hopefully for a better one. I will always remember his presence - we became close friends , I will always miss him. Perhaps he is now playing chess with God .. and winning ! He probably would not have cared if he were playing the Devil as long as he could keep playing chess for eternity !

Now I must confess to playing tournaments in CCCP as a much younger man and boy.

Queeg
Hi Q
just thought I would cull some of your posts from the other threads and post them in here
if your not comfy with that just let me know and ill delete them
Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

:) :) :) :) :)

All is well my friend - I appreciate the honor and space you have given to me. Let the games continue !!

Queeg
Queegmeister

Position from Amsterdam

Post by Queegmeister »

I would like to see if you can solve this chess position I reached against against an IM in Amsterdam Secondary Tournament - I won the game - can't find the score unfortunately - I don't know if any record of the secondary tournament remains.

the Game position is from 1956 - the main tournament was the candidates tournament which Smyslov Won with 11.5/18

Now you will see something amazing.......... I was playing Black and it is Black to play and win by a crushing combination classic 40/2.5 time control

[fen]rn2nrk1/1p2b2p/1qpp4/p7/N1P1Ppp1/P2P3b/1PQBBP1P/2R1N1KR b - - 0 1[/fen]

I will give you the answer - but I'm sure you will use your computer if you can't find the line :)
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

[Event "Swiss Tournament"]
[Site ""]
[Date "2002.4.2"]
[Round ""]
[White "Queeg"]
[Black "Master Prodigy"]
[TimeControl "g/90"]
[Result "*"]
[Annotator "self"]
[ECO "oft"]
[WhiteELO "2285"]
[BlackELO "2205"]
[WhiteTitle "Master"]
[BlackTitle "Master"]

{A game fritz does not understand}
1.Nf3 d5
2.c4 d4
3.b4 c5
4.g3 cxb4
- an attacking dream - Benko Gambit reversed
[fen]rnbqkbnr/pp2pppp/8/2p5/1PPp4/5NP1/P2PPP1P/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 0 4[/fen]
5.a3 e5
6.Nxe5 Qc7
7.Nd3 Qxc4
8.axb4 Bxb4
9.Nxb4 Qxb4
10.Bg2 Nc6
11.O-O Qb6
12.Na3 Nge7
13.Rb1 Qc5
14.Rb5 Qd6
15.d3 a6
16.Nc4 Qd8
17.Rb6 after 17. Rb6 (to stifle the Q-side ) Fritz recommends the correct 17...0-0 but the move played seemed natural enough.
17...Nd5[fen]r1bqk2r/1p3ppp/pRn5/3n4/2Np4/3P2P1/4PPBP/2BQ1RK1 w kq - 0 18[/fen]
18.Ba3 !! Nce7
19.Nd6+ Kf8
20.Bxd5 ! [fen]r1bq1k1r/1p2nppp/pR1N4/3n4/3p4/B2P2P1/4PPBP/3Q1RK1 w - - 0 20[/fen]
20...........Qxb6 - now you want it eh ?
21.e4 Be6
22.Bxe6 fxe6
23.Qf3+ RESIGNS !!

What follows is the analysis of what MIGHT have been had Black taken the rook on move 18. with Nxb6

(now here's where I make a liar out of Lincoln ) Fritz goes crazy with some of the following analysis - constantly changing it's evaluation - of course it recommends the losing move 18..Nxb6 ?! [the analysis runs as follows -( since Fritz comes up with some good ideas - I incorporate them into my analysis ) I think the possible move of taking the Rook is far more interesting and instructive than the game !
***** Nxb6 19.Nd6+ Kd7 20.Nxf7 Qf6 21.Qb3 ! Re8 22.Nd6 ! Re6 23.Bh3 Kc7 24.Nxc8 Rxc8 25.Bxe6 Re8 26.Rb1 Nb4 +- 27.Bg4 a5 28.Bxb4 axb4 29.Qxb4 h5 30.Qc5+ Qc6 31.Qxh5 g6 32.Qh7+ Kb8 33.Bf3

and [fen]1k2r3/1p5Q/1nq3p1/8/3p4/3P1BP1/4PP1P/1R4K1 b - - 0 33[/fen] Black can give up the ghost**************

!!! I recommend the analysis as the continuation for consideration in the computer rating test since it is far more interesting than what black played in the real game. So what I am saying is to take my game up to move 18. Ba3 and then the analysis after Nxb6 for the FINAL RATING ATTEMPT

I think my play was very good throughout but Black got flustered and "ruined the game" by not accepting my sacrificial Rook.

Queeg
Last edited by Queegmeister on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hey G
i dug out a rather obsure book i own about the Playing Career of Dr.Joseph Platz
he was a bit older then you but i am betting you played him

ever face him OTB??

Reeling In The Years Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

Well well Dr. Platz , gotta give him some credit though - he beat Kolty (in a simul to be fair) - lost to Fischer but who didn't ?

He sure liked that French defense and I LOVED to play against the French - Yes I kicked his rump in a French , I'm not sure but I think it was in Connecticut (but could have been NY).

I'll tell you - there never was a GENIOUS like KOLTY - he could play a million simul games (blindfold !!) and recall all the moves of each game the next day !!

I have some great wins against that defense - cherished the Aljekin Gambit when I could get it !! Usually transposing into it. Just keep that pawn on e5 and hammer away !! Rarely played the French - Never liked passive defense and that ugly Queens Bishop - I don't care what the new school says - it's too exacting and not much fun to be under a constant white barrage IMNHO

Yakov Estrin - now he was my main man !! Gambits Galore !! That's my style ! Probably why I did not reach the pinnacles of chess - i just love to play AGGRESSIVE and risky chess !! Considered chess as an artistic expression of my personality - led to some spectacular wins and devastating defeats !!

These new programs and hardware - ruin a lot of good ol fashioned exciting chess - who the heck wants to win a pawn and milk it in over 155 moves for a win ? Not me. frankly they cramp my style !!

get rid of the FEAR OF FAILURE and only then can you play great chess !!

Queeg
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Queegmeister wrote:[Event "Swiss Tournament"]
[Site ""]
[Date "2002.4.2"]
[Round ""]
[White "Queeg"]
[Black "Master Prodigy"]
[TimeControl "g/90"]
[Result "*"]
[Annotator "self"]
[ECO "oft"]
[WhiteELO "2285"]
[BlackELO "2205"]
[WhiteTitle "Master"]
[BlackTitle "Master"]

!!! I recommend the analysis as the continuation for consideration in the computer rating test since it is far more interesting than what black played in the real game. So what I am saying is to take my game up to move 18. Ba3 and then the analysis after Nxb6 for the FINAL RATING ATTEMPT

I think my play was very good throughout but Black got flustered and "ruined the game" by not accepting my sacrificial Rook.

Queeg
Hi Queeg,

Is this the game you want me to try and rate? To do that I would need your name and your opponent name :P

btw.. in your test position the queen sacrifice looks so tempting but I just don't see it.

regards,
Nick
LWSteve

Re: Position from Amsterdam

Post by LWSteve »

Queegmeister wrote:I would like to see if you can solve this chess position I reached against against an IM in Amsterdam Secondary Tournament - I won the game - can't find the score unfortunately - I don't know if any record of the secondary tournament remains.

the Game position is from 1956 - the main tournament was the candidates tournament which Smyslov Won with 11.5/18

Now you will see something amazing.......... I was playing Black and it is Black to play and win by a crushing combination classic 40/2.5 time control

[fen]rn2nrk1/1p2b2p/1qpp4/p7/N1P1Ppp1/P2P3b/1PQBBP1P/2R1N1KR b - - 0 1[/fen]

I will give you the answer - but I'm sure you will use your computer if you can't find the line :)
In 25 minutes aprox. no computer I came up with...

1.................Qxf7
2. KxQ - - - B-R5+
3. K-N1 - - - f3
4. Nxf3 - - - PxN
5. BXf3 - - - R-KB3 (threatening R-KN3+)

Thats the best I could do without computer and without chess board and pieces as I gave up.

Thats a tough one!

LWSteve
LWSteve

Post by LWSteve »

[Event "Swiss Tournament"]
[Site ""]
[Date "2002.4.2"]
[Round ""]
[White "Queeg"]
[Black "Master Prodigy"]
[TimeControl "g/90"]
[Result "*"]
[Annotator "self"]
[ECO "oft"]
[WhiteELO "2285"]
[BlackELO "2205"]
[WhiteTitle "Master"]
[BlackTitle "Master"]

{A game fritz does not understand}

1. Nf3 d5 2. c4 d4

My opinion is... here is where black went wrong!
I would have never played 2...d4 because I'm walking right into
Queegs already prepared lines!

I would have played 2...c6 and then went into a Kamsky a6 slav.
and my king bishop gets fianchettoed on my 6th move.

my move order as black would be...
2...c6
3...N-KB3
4...a6
5...P-KN3
6...B-N2
7...0-0

I have studied all of Kamsky's games using this defense.
He is the master at this defense! The a6 fianchetto slav.
I've done very well with this defense also.

3. b4 c5 4. g3 cxb4 5. a3 e5 6. Nxe5 Qc7 7. Nd3 Qxc4 8. axb4
Bxb4 9. Nxb4 Qxb4 10. Bg2 Nc6 11. O-O Qb6 12. Na3 Nge7 13. Rb1 Qc5 14. Rb5 Qd6
15. d3 a6 16. Nc4 Qd8 17. Rb6 Nd5 18. Ba3 Nce7 19. Nd6+ Kf8 20. Bxd5 Qxb6 21.
e4 Be6 22. Bxe6 fxe6 23. Qf3+ 1-0

Great game Queeg! Congrats!

LWSteve