SB30: What does the future hold for mine?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Gorlub

SB30: What does the future hold for mine?

Post by Gorlub »

Is there still a market for Tasc smartboards? I have an SB30 but it seems the big interest is in the R-30 etc. My SB30 won't work with the recent Windows versions and while it sounds entertaining to try to make it work (hook up to old computer, attach logic analyzer to capture data, try to decode, program microcontroller to interrface to SB30, interface microcontroller to PC, write code to read from microcontroller and masquearade as a chess engine in the eyes of Winboard, have Winboard talk to Chessbase, hope it all works), but it seems like a lot of work too. Any suggestions on the market for an SB30 or on my cunning plan to beat it into submission (anyone know data format for SB30)?

Thanks,

Dave
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi, I doubt you will find any useful advice here on this forum. We are
generally not techo's around here. You might try:
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewforum.ph ... d447186cd3
all the best,
Larry
Gorlub

Post by Gorlub »

Thanks, I will check that out. I thought I might get some thoughts here on what the market would be like if I tried to sell it. The tech question was a just for the heck of it I might get lucky question.

Thanks,

Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Gorlub wrote:
Any suggestions on the market for an SB30 or on my cunning plan to beat it into submission (anyone know data format for SB30)?

Thanks,

Dave
Actually you could be in luck

there is a sudden need for SB 30 boards that work with the just recently released Gideon eprom used in the Tasc R30 unit
some SB 30 boards wont work with it and some will
so there is this recent interest in SB 30 boards
the problem is you cant tell if the SB30 board will work unless you have the unit
anyway...
try placing an offer to sell it here
the site is in German but everyone reads and speaks English there
http://www.warnemuende.cc/forum/portal.php

Hey Ya Never Know
Regards
Steve
Gorlub

Post by Gorlub »

Thanks. Sadly mine is the Smarboard II SB30 which appears to be the one that does not work with the Gideon EPROM. I just found out the DGT boards don't have lights so all the more reason to keep the SB30! I'm sure I'll be able to get at least some basic functionality out of it.

Dave