Top 6 chess computers to play

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Well the two "you snooze you loose" are gone.

Wonder if someone read this post! :P

Regards
Nick
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

spacious_mind wrote:Well the two "you snooze you loose" are gone.

Regards
Well Nick, here's the thing:

Let's take the seller's misnamed "Saitek Olympiad Executive" (as you know, there is no such unit). I didn't consider it a 'snooze u lose' item. It is lacking a bishop and has 3 rooks. The white pieces are badly discolored (something -in reference to one of Steve B's recent posts- that I suspect may be due to a smoking environment). There are also some mild scratches on the LCD (as per the seller).

I was hoping to get it for the opening bid price. I've been wanting to get an Executive so I can compare it directly with the RS Partner 1680X cat: 60-2428A. I really didn't think anyone would be interested in it because of the above flaws and the rather inflated shipping price. But after this thread, I was afraid that someone else would take it so I, rather reluctantly, took it for the BuyNow price.

As for the Novag Emerald: It is a 'snooze u lose' if you live in Britain, but it specifically said 'May not post to the U.S.' That has become a common situation on the UK eBay and, in my experience, they seem to really mean it. I've come to the point where I don't even bother asking anymore. Perhaps, there are exceptions, but I find it too exasperating to see something there that really looks interesting only to find that the seller has no interest in sending overseas.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

SirDave wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Well the two "you snooze you loose" are gone.

Regards
Well Nick, here's the thing:

Let's take the seller's misnamed "Saitek Olympiad Executive" (as you know, there is no such unit). I didn't consider it a 'snooze u lose' item. It is lacking a bishop and has 3 rooks. The white pieces are badly discolored (something -in reference to one of Steve B's recent posts- that I suspect may be due to a smoking environment). There are also some mild scratches on the LCD (as per the seller).

I was hoping to get it for the opening bid price. I've been wanting to get an Executive so I can compare it directly with the RS Partner 1680X cat: 60-2428A. I really didn't think anyone would be interested in it because of the above flaws and the rather inflated shipping price. But after this thread, I was afraid that someone else would take it so I, rather reluctantly, took it for the BuyNow price.

As for the Novag Emerald: It is a 'snooze u lose' if you live in Britain, but it specifically said 'May not post to the U.S.' That has become a common situation on the UK eBay and, in my experience, they seem to really mean it. I've come to the point where I don't even bother asking anymore. Perhaps, there are exceptions, but I find it too exasperating to see something there that really looks interesting only to find that the seller has no interest in sending overseas.
Hi Dave,

I was being a tease I am glad someone (you!!! ) in the Forum bought the Executive because you don't see them as often as the other clones. Regarding the missing pieces. I would probably just buy a couple of spare sets from Saitek if they are still available as back up anyway and just swap out the set. Or use a set from a lesser valued machine = least valued machine gets the odds and ends :)

Regarding Overseas, if I want something badly enough then I approach it differently. My first comments are to the seller that I will happily take all risk and guarantee him absolutely an A-class rating but could he please accept that I live in the USA and under no circumstance will I haggle or complain about any shipping cost.

And guess what? Out of 10 attempts I usually get the seller to say OK to me 9 times :) And I stick to my bargain he gets a good rating.

So the next time I come along and the overseas seller happens to see me again. He automatically says yes :)

Of course I always read his rating and what he writes 100 times over before I do this approach. If it is skeptical then just don't do it. Wait for another to come along.

Now in the USA that is different and if he sells me something as fully functioning then it better be fully functioning :)

Anyway please everybody don't read into this as me meaning you as in YOU! in anyway. I am just generalizing on how I approach overseas auctions. The key is that the seller needs to feel that he is not taking a risk on you slamming him with a bad rating if it goes bad.

Regards
Nick