sad news and SOS for a Mephisto Display module

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

sad news and SOS for a Mephisto Display module

Post by Queegmeister »

I received with great anticipation a beautiful Mephisto Exclusive 16 bit Vancouver with a special wooden case - massive euros. FROM GERMANY

Sadly and very sadly :( when I opened the apparently well protected unit - it became gradually apparent that customs had probably wrecked it. in that, they left out some inner packing to protect the wood and also broke the display module cover off of it leaving the inside exposed.

So I am asking for 2 things - SYMPATHY - and

A 16/32 bit display module so I can run this machine - I am extremely distraught and would really appreciate a reasonable price in consideration of my bad luck.

Please message me with your offer.

This unit would have lasted me the rest of my life (I am over 80) and now... I weep.

Thank you

VERY SAD
Queegmeister :(
LWSteve

Post by LWSteve »

Something like that should only happen maybe 1/1000 times.

My sympathy... :cry:

LWSteve
Queegmeister

Some potentially good news

Post by Queegmeister »

My friend has come up with the module I need but he has not tested it and I will not receive it for a few days so I will keep my fingers crossed

Yeah 1/1000 that's my life story Steve - it's been exasperatingly ridiculous at times.

this guy wrapped this thing like it was going into a war zone and yet...

Hopefully this will fix my computer but what can I do with those nasty screw marks . Hmmm.

:roll:

Queeg
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Some potentially good news

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:My friend has come up with the module I need but he has not tested it and I will not receive it for a few days so I will keep my fingers crossed

Yeah 1/1000 that's my life story Steve - it's been exasperatingly ridiculous at times.

this guy wrapped this thing like it was going into a war zone and yet...

Hopefully this will fix my computer but what can I do with those nasty screw marks . Hmmm.

:roll:

Queeg
Good to hear you are getting the display module
and thanks for that additional clue to your identity

80+ Regards
Steve
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

Hey Mr. Steve -

You got me !

The power supply sent has 6v 680 mA - the seller claims that is sufficient - I am reading that 9v are required - do you think the 6v supply did damage the modules ? I am going to buy a 9v to be on the safe side.

I have 9v 500 mA but that seems too low on mA

What effect does under powering have ? I think I better not risk it.

Tesla was better than Edison regards
Queeg
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Queegmeister wrote:Hey Mr. Steve -

You got me !

The power supply sent has 6v 680 mA - the seller claims that is sufficient - I am reading that 9v are required - do you think the 6v supply did damage the modules ? I am going to buy a 9v to be on the safe side.

I have 9v 500 mA but that seems too low on mA

What effect does under powering have ? I think I better not risk it.

Tesla was better than Edison regards
Queeg
Hi Queeg,
9V 500 mA should work just fine on an Exclusive board (if you are plugging the power in to the Exclusive board). Just always watch your polarities on chess computers. Never plug in a +/- in the ones that tell you it's a -/+ and vice versa as this will guarantee that you destroy them. ie.. never us a Novag adapter or for example a RS2150L adapter on a Mephisto!
If you have the Mephisto Power Modules, then these should be played with 5V. Mephisto chess boards and modules are all +/-
If the seller played it all these years with 6V then that should be ok too.

ps... if you are using a German Adapter, then buy yourself a 220V to 110V power converter that allows you to plug in a German 220V adapter or multiple 220V German adapters . I have 3 or 4 of these and I mostly play with the german power adapter or the british power adapter if it is britisch computer for example which avoids me constantly having to find the right American ones to play.

Regards
Nick