Novag chess computers still manufactured to this very day!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Monsieur Plastique

Novag chess computers still manufactured to this very day!

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

My brother and I paid a visit to Chess Discount Sales in Sydney on Thursday last week. We have been customers for 30 years. The Manager Peter stated that he had recently ordered a new shipment of Novag computers. Surprised that he could even order any at all, I was then astonished to hear that they are built to order! He places an order and the factory in China subsequently builds them - taking approximately 6 weeks to do so - thereupon they are shipped to him.

I don't know about you, but it makes me feel great knowing that somewhere in the world, someone goes to work in 2013 and builds a brand new Novag chess computer to order.

I would never have dreamt this was happening in 2013 and I very much doubt any new Saiteks have been built for years (though I stand to be corrected on this).

Anyway, as I walked out the door with a spare factory shrink-wrapped Star Opal, I was just as surprised that these things are still being built to this very day as I am that there still must be enough customers out there to justify it.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote: I don't know about you, but it makes me feel great knowing that somewhere in the world, someone goes to work in 2013 and builds a brand new Novag chess computer to order.

Anyway, as I walked out the door with a spare factory shrink-wrapped Star Opal, I was just as surprised that these things are still being built to this very day as I am that there still must be enough customers out there to justify it.
Amazing to read this..
i imagine its only stuff produced in the last few years of Novag's Existance
even here i doubt they would make anymore 2Robots
if they would we should get Kittinger to put his Wchess engine in the 2Robot..he has posted on the CCC not so long ago ...

anyway..please place my order for the following ...

10 Novag Savant Royale's
10 Novag Robot Adversaries
5 Diablo's
5 Scorpio's
5 Super Expert B6's
3 Constellation Experts

For Auxillary items i am low on these so i would like ....
10 Robot Printer Cards
10 Super System Distributor boxes(with cables)

LWSteve would like to order
1000 Diamond II's
500 Star Diamonds

Groupon Regards
Steve
LWSteve

Post by LWSteve »

Steve B wrote:
Monsieur Plastique wrote: I don't know about you, but it makes me feel great knowing that somewhere in the world, someone goes to work in 2013 and builds a brand new Novag chess computer to order.

Amazing to read this..
i imagine its only stuff produced in the last few years of Novag's Existance
even here i doubt they would make anymore 2Robots
if they would we should get Kittinger to put his Wchess engine in the 2Robot..he has posted on the CCC not so long ago ...

anyway..please place my order for the following ...

10 Novag Savant Royale's
10 Novag Robot Adversaries
5 Diablo's
5 Scorpio's
5 Super Expert B6's
3 Constellation Experts

For Auxillary items i am low on these so i would like ....
10 Robot Printer Cards
10 Super System Distributor boxes(with cables)

LWSteve would like to order
1000 Diamond II's
500 Star Diamonds

Groupon Regards
Steve
Indiana Jones was a little off...

I want 10 mint Scorpio's!!!!!
They are cool looking (black colored!) and come with hash tables!
elo of 2100 on these Scorpios!! hot dang!!!
I would throw my girl friend out of bed just to sleep with two Scorpios!!

Plus I want 25 mint Diamond II's

And I want 15 mint Star Diamond's

and I want 5 mint Diamonds

I remember using my Novag printer in 1988 with my Constellation Forte.
As you made every move it automatically printed the moves out with position evaluations. Very Cool! 8)

and now I can't find either... :(
So give me 5 mint Novag printers.
I will have to go to Office Depot for the replacement rolls of white tape.

Also...

Give me 5 mint Star Sapphire's
The one's with the 2013 enhanced LCD graphic features.

Also give me 1 mint Novag Presto.
As I will need something to play blind folded chess against.

Also give me 1 mint Novag Solo deluxe Z

Last but not least... might as well get me a mint Novag 2Robot

That's it from here...

LWSteve Plastique
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

LWSteve wrote:
So give me 5 mint Novag printers.
I will have to go to Office Depot for the replacement rolls of white tape.
how about one printer in box with manual
even has the printing paper...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVAG-VINTAGE-C ... 2580c934dd

Your Wish Is My Command Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Hi Steves,

I checked with the factory and they are fine with your orders, but they wish to clarify whether you desire the original specification Savants or the improved version which uses the original program but uses modern electronics and a 2013 specification board LCD display (looks just like the original, but you can actually see the pieces). The new version is cheaper to build, but not as exciting to take out of the shrink wrap, since you know exactly what you are getting and this is not as fun. Whilst it could be argued you also know exactly what you are going to get with an old Savant, bare in mind that there are varying degrees of nothingness.

Also, they wanted to know why you did not want any Jade II machines, as girls at the factory really enjoy making these.

Finally, they stated that if you confirm your order by 16:30 Hours Pacific Time Monday, they will throw in a free set of steak knifes, plus a reproduction Scisys Mark V made under licence and again using modern electronics but using the original program and housing.

Please send a cheque made out to me personally for $12,519,725.18 US and I will be certain to pass it on.

Now..on a serious note, it appears that Novag have consolidated the range and programs. The only programs are now the 16K one and the 32K one. So all models will either use the program in the Star Opal or the Obsidian.

I did actually ask about the 2Robot, but he is not ordering more. Not necessarily because he can't (I am not sure of the exact situation here) but because he only ever sold one of them and it is a very expensive device for which there is no market in Australia.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:

I did actually ask about the 2Robot, but he is not ordering more. Not necessarily because he can't (I am not sure of the exact situation here) but because he only ever sold one of them and it is a very expensive device for which there is no market in Australia.
Well they sold here for about $200-$250..not very expensive really
anyway..while we are on the subject of Novag Robots...
i have two Novag Robot Adversary's ..arms totally defective in both
they were both working when i acquired them
both tanked after about 2 Hrs of playing time
one of the highest defect rates in any chess computer ever sold

but perhaps there is hope?

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php?optio ... 68&lang=en

:shock: Regards :shock:
Steve