So what is correct?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

So what is correct?

Post by spacious_mind »

The Excel Display the user manual says Model 6092. However the Box and the back of the computer show Model 6093. Then on the back of the Excel Voice it shows Model 6093 whereas the computer shows Model 6092.
So which is correct?
Added to this confusion the back of my Excel 68000 shows Model 6097 which should be the Mach II L.A. Version number but I am sure it is not since I also have Mach II L.A. and it plays differently. A Model 6094 it is. I think?

Anyway I think Fidelity must have just slapped any old label sometimes to the back of their computers.

Poor quality control regards.......
Nick
LWSteve

Re: So what is correct?

Post by LWSteve »

spacious_mind wrote:The Excel Display the user manual says Model 6092. However the Box and the back of the computer show Model 6093. Then on the back of the Excel Voice it shows Model 6093 whereas the computer shows Model 6092.
So which is correct?
Added to this confusion the back of my Excel 68000 shows Model 6097 which should be the Mach II L.A. Version number but I am sure it is not since I also have Mach II L.A. and it plays differently. A Model 6094 it is. I think?

Anyway I think Fidelity must have just slapped any old label sometimes to the back of their computers.

Nick,

My Excel 68000 is model 6094 on box and on bottom of computer.

My serial# is 72054346

LW
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:The Excel Display the user manual says Model 6092. However the Box and the back of the computer show Model 6093. Then on the back of the Excel Voice it shows Model 6093 whereas the computer shows Model 6092.
So which is correct?

Hi Nick
the user manual for the 6080(not EP12) 6092 and 6093 is the same
So if your computer has a display it is 6092
if the voice feature..6093

As to the various Mach series models
if the computer was bought new the model numbers will be correct as will the stickers
however it was possible to upgrade the Mach's at the factory
generally the old sticker would be left and also the new sticker affixed
so its possible you have an Upgraded Mach I to a Mach II
and the old sticker fell off
The Mach II underwent several revisions as you well know and they ALL had the same MODEL NUMBER 6097 including the Mach IIb,IIC and LA
its possible your Mach plays like one of the other Mach II's and not just the LA

Sticker Shock Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
So which is correct?

Hi Nick
the user manual for the 6080(not EP12) 6092 and 6093 is the same
So if your computer has a display it is 6092
if the voice feature..6093

As to the various Mach series models
if the computer was bought new the model numbers will be correct as will the stickers
however it was possible to upgrade the Mach's at the factory
generally the old sticker would be left and also the new sticker affixed
so its possible you have an Upgraded Mach I to a Mach II
and the old sticker fell off
The Mach II underwent several revisions as you well know and they ALL had the same MODEL NUMBER 6097 including the Mach IIb,IIC and LA
its possible your Mach plays like one of the other Mach II's and not just the LA

Sticker Shock Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes but what is correct?

1) I have a green Voice Excellence Box and on the box it says Model 6092. The back of this computer says Model 6092. But the manual say's Model 6093. I also have a second Voice Excellence without a box and the back of that computer also has a label with Model 6092.

So is the manual wrong? I would say 2 to 1 in favor that the manual was printed wrong.

2) I have a green Excellence Display box and on the box it says Model 6093. The back of this computer says Model 6093. Yet the manual says Model 6092?

So for all three computers the same manuals are wrong?

3) Regarding the Excel 68000, you are right I had forgotten that my Excel Model 6094 and my Excel Mach IIb have the same box, with no additional labels to distinguish them. The only thing that distinguishes them is the Model 6097 label at the back of the Mach IIb computer and Model 6094 at the back of the Excel 68000 computer.
The L.A. Version also has the same box but it has this Mach II stripe across the top with an additional label that states American Open Program L.A., also with label Model 6097 at the back of the computer.
And I have a 4th Excel 68000 box with a black additional label stuck across the top left corner diagonally with Excel 68000 Mach III Master Model number 6098.

All the boxes however are printed with Model 6094 on the box. So I guess Fidelity must have had a huge amount of surplus 6094 boxes that they then used up.

All 4 of them also have Excel 68000 Manual. There must have also been a lot of surplus 6094 manuals.

stickler for details regards,
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Hi Steve,
Yes but what is correct?

1) I have a green Voice Excellence Box and on the box it says Model 6092. The back of this computer says Model 6092. But the manual say's Model 6093. I also have a second Voice Excellence without a box and the back of that computer also has a label with Model 6092.

So is the manual wrong? I would say 2 to 1 in favor that the manual was printed wrong.

2) I have a green Excellence Display box and on the box it says Model 6093. The back of this computer says Model 6093. Yet the manual says Model 6092?

So for all three computers the same manuals are wrong?

s,
OK now i understand the confusion
the cover page of the manual has a typo on it
6092 and 6093 are reversed on the cover page

here are the correct combinations

Voice Excellence-Model 6092 on box and in back of computer
the box is blue and says"IT TALKS TO YOU"

Excel Display-Model 6093 on box and in back of computer
the box is GREEN

manuals are all the same

Good Catch Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
Voice Excellence-Model 6092 on box in back of computer
the box is blue and says"IT TALKS TO YOU"

Good Catch Regards
Steve
Bluey green! regards :P
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
[3) Regarding the Excel 68000, you are right I had forgotten that my Excel Model 6094 and my Excel Mach IIb have the same box, with no additional labels to distinguish them.
Hi Nick
these factory upgrades can be confusing
in addition to an original Excel Mach IV i also have an UPGRADED Excel Mach IV that was originally a Mach III
there is only the original 6098 sticker and no 6110 sticker which must have fallen off
of course i am able to verify it was a running at the faster clock speed
but as a collector i hate when that happens

Sticker =Authenticity Regards
Steve