The Main Reasons Chess Computers Win!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Anthony.R.Brown

The Main Reasons Chess Computers Win!

Post by Anthony.R.Brown »

The Main Reasons Chess Computers Win!...

The Obvious Reason Chess Computers Win is because of their Incredible Brute force Tactical abil­ities...
But for Me the Real Reasons are that Humans Input into the Chess Programs Opening books!...some going Deeper than (20) Moves! and End Game databases now at (7) Pieces.
People may say that it's OK! Because Humans have the same Information...but there is a difference!
Computers have Strength's that Humans don't...(No Nerves) (No Feelings) (Never get tired) (Cannot be psyched out or Intimidated) (Can Calculate to Incredible Tactical depths) (Etc. ?)
What do Humans have...(Knowledge-Opening books & End game) (Experience) (Deeper Strategy)...these are the things We should keep as Humans!...Giving them to the Computer is Why they Win!
Even though Chess Computers are now Rated at (3000+) ELO 2013 I don't believe they will get our Human Strength's above on there own!... until they are Rated between (3500) – (4000) ELO
So why give it to them Now??
I will Never! accept that a Chess Computer is World Chess Champion against Humans... until a Computer can sit Down :) and Play a Set of Games against the World Human Chess Champion without none of the Human Strengths above being Programmed into them!
The Chess Program has to Play Completely from a Calculating Point of View!
Humans know one Critical mistake in the Opening or End Game is the End! don't let them Know!

When Garry Kasparov Played Deep Blue in 1997 Game (6) and lost? The Reason Why was because...

8. Nxe6!

The Computer is aided by having this knight sacrifice programmed into its opening book. This move had been played in a number of previous high-level games, with White achieving a huge plus score. However, had Deep Blue been on its own, it would probably not have played this. 

Anthony.R.Brown.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi Anthony,

Well we can write a lot about this and it has been written a lot about this also. First i believe that most of the games in chess are win by tactics and when we sit in front of a chess machine we are sitting in front of a tactical monster. If you see all of the games won by machines to GM most of them were because of tactical reasons.

Tactics regards
Ricardo
Anthony.R.Brown

Hi Ricardo

Yes Computers do Win using Tactics!...But Strategy is just as Deep in a Different Way!
I have shown that with My Win against Houdini Game 01...Humans have Been making the Mistake of taking the Machine on Head on!?
Remove the Built in Good Start put in By Humans? and the Links to the (7) Piece End Game Database that they are Now using!...and you will see they are Not so Tactical!...more like Blind until something is Obvious!
A better example is how they can't Beat My (36) Move End Game in the Game below!

The A.R.B Chess System - End Game - Game 01 - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISYkbmZSQM

The A.R.B Chess System - End Game - Game 01 - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6wc0ps3Qo

A.R.B
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Yes, that is right but engines has been improving a lot; in the past engines did not know how to win a K+B+N against K, need egtb, now a lot of engines knows how to win this endgame and do it very fast. Same for K+P against K and for K+2P against K+P. I remember 10 years ago i got a draw against an engine with my King against a machine with a King and 2 bishops (50 move rule). I do not think i can get away with this now against a good engine. There is a test that it is going to be made where engines from the past will face engines of today but in an even hardware.

engines improving regards
Ricardo
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Main Reasons Chess Computers Win!

Post by Fernando »

Anthony.R.Brown wrote:The Main Reasons Chess Computers Win!...

The Obvious Reason Chess Computers Win is because of their Incredible Brute force Tactical abil­ities...
But for Me the Real Reasons are that Humans Input into the Chess Programs Opening books!...some going Deeper than (20) Moves! and End Game databases now at (7) Pieces.
People may say that it's OK! Because Humans have the same Information...but there is a difference!
Computers have Strength's that Humans don't...(No Nerves) (No Feelings) (Never get tired) (Cannot be psyched out or Intimidated) (Can Calculate to Incredible Tactical depths) (Etc. ?)
What do Humans have...(Knowledge-Opening books & End game) (Experience) (Deeper Strategy)...these are the things We should keep as Humans!...Giving them to the Computer is Why they Win!
Even though Chess Computers are now Rated at (3000+) ELO 2013 I don't believe they will get our Human Strength's above on there own!... until they are Rated between (3500) – (4000) ELO
So why give it to them Now??
I will Never! accept that a Chess Computer is World Chess Champion against Humans... until a Computer can sit Down :) and Play a Set of Games against the World Human Chess Champion without none of the Human Strengths above being Programmed into them!
The Chess Program has to Play Completely from a Calculating Point of View!
Humans know one Critical mistake in the Opening or End Game is the End! don't let them Know!

When Garry Kasparov Played Deep Blue in 1997 Game (6) and lost? The Reason Why was because...

8. Nxe6!

The Computer is aided by having this knight sacrifice programmed into its opening book. This move had been played in a number of previous high-level games, with White achieving a huge plus score. However, had Deep Blue been on its own, it would probably not have played this. 

Anthony.R.Brown.
I think, Anthony, we must not be worried about those computers winning us and even less how to win them or any consideration of that sort. When you go to a Gym to keep yourself in form, you are happy that those machines over there are so powerful. You would not like to be treated as a baby and putted to handle weights made of cotton. You want the real, unbearable thing.
So do I in this field. I play yo get fun and to keep my ind sharp. Of course I like to win and I hate to lose, but I accept that, I accept to lose every game or many or several as part of that fun and exercise.
Festina Lente
Anthony.R.Brown

So to Highlight the Ridiculous situation Concerning Computers using Opening books & End game database put in by Humans?

Where are we at 2013...

Humans can no longer Play their Normal Game! the Average Chess game used to be between (40) - (60) moves...now because of the latest End game databases (7) Pieces... this is now (7) moves less!

(1) When Humans start a Chess game against a Chess Computer We are already 90+ % lost because of Vast Opening Books (Put in by Humans!)

(2) If we reach an End Game? and have (7) Pieces on the Board We are already 100 % lost because of the (7) Piece End game database (Put in by Humans!) We have to keep (8) Pieces on the Board to stand a chance of Winning? what a Joke! what a way we are forced to have to Play!

Where is all of this leading to?...

When the Opening books are so Vast...and Humans are 99 % lost before the Game even Starts!
And when the End game databases are (20) Pieces! for a 100 % End game Win by the Computer! with any (20) Pieces on the Board!

Then the Computer won't have to hardly Calculate any Moves! except linking The Start with the Finish!?
Basically we will be Playing against a Human Chess database!...

PUT IN BY HUMANS!!
Anthony.R.Brown

Humans can no longer Play their Normal Game! the Average Chess game used to be between (40) - (60) moves...now because of the latest End game databases (7) Pieces... this is now (7) Pieces less!
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Until chess is not solved nobody is invincible.