What do youi know about this computer?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

What do youi know about this computer?

Post by Fernando »

Millennium Omega, Model M123
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: What do youi know about this computer?

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Millennium Omega, Model M123
I'm struggling to find anything on it. I did find this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Millennium-Omega ... 1141674201

New...so no worries about whether it works properly.
If it's the same programmer as the Millenium Genesis, then it is
programmed by Chrilly Donniger, a very good programmer.
The price is very attractive, I'm tempted to take one myself. Only speaks
French, no problem for you. 32 bit technology, with a good strength.
Maybe you should buy-it-now, and give us some feedback on it.
L
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I wouldn't touch it with a 40 foot pole to be honest. Looks to have the same program - at best - as the weak Millenium Touch Chess, a machine suitable for novices and casual hobby players only. The mate in 2 capability is a dead giveaway that this is a toy. The estimated rating of 2100 is completely ridiculous. Probably closer to 1200 ELO or thereabouts.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fern...

if you want a challanging game from a dedicated chess computer you have to forget these cheap computers
the problem with you is you also play the PC Engines and so you have become accustomed to paying $17 and for this money you can get an opponent that can make Kasparov look like a schoolboy first learning the moves

the situation is totally different with dedicated computers
here...its very much a case of you get what you pay for
for a solid opponent you will have to spend at least $100 and even here you will not get a nice auto-sensory wooden computer..only cheap plastic

if you are only interested in spending $25-$50 for a dedicated unit you will get an opponent that will lose to my grandmother who is presently in a

Coma Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Steve B wrote:only cheap plastic
Cheap plastic is still OK if it is the work of a passionate artisan.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Steve B wrote:only cheap plastic
Cheap plastic is still OK if it is the work of a passionate artisan.
:P
actually this brings up an interesting question
what is the cheapest(in terms of money..not housing construction) chess computer that played the strongest?
I guess we are looking for a very high ..strength to price ratio
I am not thinking about "Deals of the Century" Ebay auctions like that Mephisto TM was sold for
I thinking about computers sold ..when new.. with the highest Strength to Price ratio's

Hmmm Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Mephisto Advanced Travel. I am pretty sure that has the best price to ELO ratio ever.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Mephisto Advanced Travel. I am pretty sure that has the best price to ELO ratio ever.
that was fast
stands to reason a handheld portable would have a higher ratio then a desktop
is there an established Elo for it somewhere?
it sold for about $75 Brand new?
I have the Mephisto Miami and the Excalibur Viper which are in similar housings I guess
figures ..I dont own that computer

lol Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monsieur Plastique

It was only a fast response because coincidentally my brother and I were discussing this exact question earlier in the week :lol: We both agreed that was it and could not come up with anything better.

Yes, same as Miami, so a true 1900 ELO (1897 from memory on the old SSDF lists). It has had the housing changed from Miami to Bravo to Advanced Travel (silver paint with blue lid). It sells for around 49 euros recommended retail these days but I bought two of them brand new from the US when they were still a mainstream line in the country for a mere $39.95. And that wasn't with any aggressive discounting.

My original Miami cost me $169.95 Australian in the mid 90s when it came out and it had a very, very heavy life indeed over the next 16 odd years. Lasted until two years ago when I placed one of my mint Advanced Travels into service as a replacement.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:It was only a fast response because coincidentally my brother and I were discussing this exact question earlier in the week :lol: We both agreed that was it and could not come up with anything better.

Yes, same as Miami, so a true 1900 ELO (1897 from memory on the old SSDF lists). It has had the housing changed from Miami to Bravo to Advanced Travel (silver paint with blue lid). It sells for around 49 euros recommended retail these days but I bought two of them brand new from the US when they were still a mainstream line in the country for a mere $39.95. And that wasn't with any aggressive discounting.

My original Miami cost me $169.95 Australian in the mid 90s when it came out and it had a very, very heavy life indeed over the next 16 odd years. Lasted until two years ago when I placed one of my mint Advanced Travels into service as a replacement.
Well then we have a PERFECT computer for Fern
"Cheap as Sin "price and plays a good solid game
since you already have two
Fern Will Be Contacting you...

ASAP Regards
Steve
Larry

Re: What do youi know about this computer?

Post by Larry »

Larry wrote: 32 bit technology, with a good strength.
I take back this sentence. The "32 bit" bit was me getting mixed up
with the Omega's big brother, the 'Genesis'. And the "good strength" was
me believing the sales blurb. I know they exagerate, but I thought a
claim of elo2100 would translate to an actual elo~1900.
On looking at the board, it seems there are no field lights whatsoever!
To see what move it makes you must look at the display.
L
IanO

Post by IanO »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:It was only a fast response because coincidentally my brother and I were discussing this exact question earlier in the week :lol: We both agreed that was it and could not come up with anything better.

Some have said that the ideal travel chess computer is a smartphone or PDA; clear touch screen, no pieces to lose, fast processor, several choices of chess program. This makes me wonder which was the cheapest PDA that was ever sold, because that would be a candidate for the best value travel chess computer. I remember some of the low-end Palms were under $100, but I wonder if any PDAs retailed for under $50? (Of course, now the older PDAs are almost free on Ebay or garage sales.)
Monsieur Plastique

Well of course we were talking only about dedicated chess computers, but certainly if you open up the discussion to chess-capable devices the price to ELO ratio these days is in a whole different league.
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

Steve B wrote:Fern...

if you want a challanging game from a dedicated chess computer you have to forget these cheap computers
the problem with you is you also play the PC Engines and so you have become accustomed to paying $17 and for this money you can get an opponent that can make Kasparov look like a schoolboy first learning the moves

the situation is totally different with dedicated computers
here...its very much a case of you get what you pay for
for a solid opponent you will have to spend at least $100 and even here you will not get a nice auto-sensory wooden computer..only cheap plastic

if you are only interested in spending $25-$50 for a dedicated unit you will get an opponent that will lose to my grandmother who is presently in a

Coma Regards
Steve
If your main interest is playing chess then the best solution is a DGT board + chess software. Many more different opponents with different playing styles availble with Elo rating from 800 to 2800. All types of hint/help/analysis availble if required. Games are stored in the computer as you play for easy post game analysis.

Yes,this combination for a person only interesed in playing chess is the only way to go.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

In fact I already have the travel...etc that some of you are mentioning. Very good indeed, I try to remember if ever I have won a game to it, probably never.
Steven always depicts me as a miser just trying to get cheap pieces of plastic, but he looks the world from the tower of his immense richness and cannot understand my situation, hardly getting s hot soup every day.
That plastic computer I asked about attracted me because is new and looked well done. Of course I was also alarmed by that "see mate in two" feature, which is not better than what was capable fidelity challenger 7....

A Citrine would cost me a fortune taking into account delivery, shipping, customs, etc.
I do not live in USA regards
Fern
Festina Lente